Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Camellia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Babysitting/nanny help please!

I have not hired a babysitter in years. I've only had grandparents watch my kids while dh and I go on a date. I've never had to hire for ongoing care, so I am not sure how to go about it.

I'm planning to post a classified on craigslist and interview some people. I will definitely be checking references.

My biggest stumbling block is what to pay. We are going to need care for about 6 hours a day Monday through Thursday for 4 kids aged 8yrs, 3yrs, and 2 18 month olds. It is a lot of work to be sure! We do have a nice set up for caring for them - fenced yard, big living room etc...

Min. wage in our are is $7.50 an hour, if that matters at all.

I appreciate any advise!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babysitting/nanny help please!

thats a tough one3.. I nannied for a few years back and also got hired on a nany service but backed out because I found out I was pregnant, but for 4 kids all under 8 I would only really be interested in 12-15 an hour??

I mean that is if you want someone who is certified and lots of experince. I am sure you could get someone who just graduated HS for cheaper...maybe post at your local community college too??

Nannys are expensive, babysitters are quite as expensive and to me teh differnece is babysitters just do teh bare minimum and nannys help out in many other aspects
Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We found our nanny using CL--had to weed out a lot who didn't speak English (either we could tell by their email, or if they had someone email for them, we figured it out via phone.) Just by checking out the CL ads, we got an idea of the going rate (here it's PRICEY--$12-$25/hr for one kid) and picked the lower-medium range as what we could afford. The only people who asked for $11-$12 were the ones who had little experience and gave me the willies at the interview. Some college students wanted $25 and I nearly laughed in their faces. (I don't charge $25/hr. and I'm bilingual w/ a master's degree in education!)
We were THIS close to having to go w/ a nanny service (hourly fee was ok, but they wanted 5w of the nanny's pay as a finder's fee! ) till a miracle happened and a doula wanting to get a more structured job schedule replied to our post. She's freakin' amazing and charges $12/hr (we'll be giving her a raise soon just to make sure she knows how much we adore her.)
Also, we use this nanny cam which syncs wirelessly to our wireless router and sends the signal to our own secure website at www.viewnetcam.com. We can see DD and the nanny via the internet for free and can remotely move the camera around, too. Made me feel SO much better!
Old 04-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a nanny who was a certified elementary school teacher, language arts minor and three years of nanny experience. . . I'm going to have a heart attack when she leaves us (lol). We have two kids and she started when our youngest was born last year along with our older daughter who will soon be 5. She started at $10/hr and increased to $12/hr after a raise at 3 months and 1 year. She gets two weeks of paid vacation, we still pay her for when we go on vacation and she's not needed, blah, blah, blah. If you want, I have a really detailed contract I could send via e-mail so you can get some ideas. I also did a background check and such. I am super compulsive so I had a whole excel spreadsheet for our interviews and everything. . . a little overboard! Good luck!
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I babysit two days a week for two kids and have mine with me. They pay me less than typical nanny-wage because of that. I get about 9.00 and hour where as a nanny before my son I was making 12-15.00. It works out great for everyone.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote