Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you protect your kids?

OOPS!! So sorry for the double post.. Darn net

Advertisement

Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
POX PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE !!!
Wooohooo!!!! I need to get my boys exposed soon.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
targhee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoed View Post
The illnesses are pretty uncommon, especially these days in this country.complications.
... the reason these diseases are uncommon, especially in this country, is that many people have taken the risks associated with vaccinating and effectively reduced the frequncy of these diseases, making them less likely to effect everyone. I am not flaming anyone for their choices, I am just saying that there should be a little appreciation out there for those who have built up the herd immunity if that is what is helping determine whether to vax or not.
'That being said, even if these diseases were frequent, like PP said, they are most often easily overcome by children without serious medical problems.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
the reason these diseases are uncommon, especially in this country, is that many people have taken the risks associated with vaccinating and effectively reduced the frequncy of these diseases, making them less likely to effect everyone. I am not flaming anyone for their choices, I am just saying that there should be a little appreciation out there for those who have built up the herd immunity if that is what is helping determine whether to vax or not.
That is a bit misleading. The reason most of these diseases are uncommon has more to do with proper sanitation and nutrition than anything else. The CDC has a graph on their website that shows the decrease in diseases occured in this country before the advent of the vaxes for them. There is also the cycle of disease, they tend to go dormant for a while and then come in waves of small pandemics. Diseases like Diptheria disapeared because we no longer drink the water we bathe and use the toilet in. Other diseases are around but under reported because the symptoms go unnoticed or undiagnosed because they are subclinical or some Dr doesn't want to admit that they have an out break of pertusis in their 100% vaccinated practice. It took 3 Dr's to get my pertusis diagnosed. They all said I couldn't have it because I was vaxed. But I did have it. What if I had stopped trying to get a diagnosis after just one dr? I am immune to rubella but not measels or mumps, probably because I had subclinical rubella that was obviously never reported. I don't feel that I owe anything to the mothers who chose to vax. It is their choice, it is their children. But I am not riding on their backs hoping to protect my kids with their sacrafices. I don't believe in herd immunity. I believe vaccinating just brings about super viruses and outbreaks in the older population whose false immunity is waining. How many outbreaks have we seen amongst vaccinated individuals lately? Not to mention children and adults catching rotovirus and other diseases from recently vaccinated children who are shedding.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I am unique in that I really want my kids to get Measels, Mumps, Rubella and chickenpox especially while they are young. I want them to have that life long immunity and I believe that childhood illnesses make kids healthier overall. Have you ever read about the studies that prove that kids whose parents over sanitise and try to protect them from germs develop worse allergies and auto immune problems? This is the same thing. I believe that healthy kids need to get normal childhood illnesses to develop strong healthy immune systems to last their whole lifetime. Plus I am just plain not afraid of those particular diseases. Its like being afraid of Roseola or fifths disease or hand foot and mouth disease. These are just a normal part of childhood. The only difference is that they don't have a vax for them yet. My dad had all of them and can't understand what the fuss is about. Everyone he knows had those diseases as kids, that is just how it was then. Its the same as everyone I know had chickenpox. You get itchy, you miss school for a week and you get well. And you are immune for the rest of your life.
Well said. This is how we feel too.
katmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he's got CP, anyone is welcome to come over. We're still not sure. It's not typical CP, but... something tells me that it is a mild case. I'm betting he'll get them again because these are just too mild.

We're in Oklahoma for those who want to come over.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

I definitely want my dd to get the pox, maybe even the MMR ones, but not yet. She's only 16 months and I think I would like to wait until she's closer to three. So, we don't do playgroups, I use a cart cover, and I wash her hands after she goes to the park, library, etc. Eat healthy and that's about it
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
If he's got CP, anyone is welcome to come over. We're still not sure. It's not typical CP, but... something tells me that it is a mild case. I'm betting he'll get them again because these are just too mild.

We're in Oklahoma for those who want to come over.
Thanks for the invite mama, and belive me 'if' I was in or near Oklahoma I would be more then happy to come spend the day with your sickling ..

I do hope that he has a fast recovery and does not get to miserable.. Just give him lots of lovins..

Nikki

Last edited by Nikkis_Little_Ladies; 04-19-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote