Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: No poopy diapers, how lazy can I be washing the wet ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amehrkens View Post
I would still do the first rinse otherwise if you think about it you are washing them in pee water! I would only go about 3 days or you are going to have stink issues. My LO is still EBF and only poos about 3 times a week so my dipes are mainly just pee dipes and I try to wash every other day.
I rinse cold, wash hot, and rinse on hot, I use about 1 tablespoon of tide, and I dry in the dryer.
I washed 1x a week for over a year & never had any stink issues. I think it depends on your water, washer & detergent.

I used 1/2 full top loader washers, allens naturally liquid detergent & only ran 1 hot wash cold rinse.

fwiw I had fitteds, pfs, pockets & aios

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppys_mommy View Post
Sounds like I shouldn't CD until I own a washer/dryer and a house to put them in so they're convenient to access.... 5 trips outside (in the rain today) a few times per week doesn't sound like something I'll stick with.

I guess it's just equivalent to 2 loads of laundry (time-wise) but that's an extra 6 loads of laundry per week (3 actual loads, basically run twice) -- yikes! I thought if I could make it equal to just an extra load or two, then it'd be reasonable to attempt. Maybe we'll have a house by the next kid.

Thanks!
Not necessarily. Many momma's follow very simple routines. I have read on here there are several momma's who are at a similar point (child poops on potty so only urine soaked dipes) that skip the initial cold rinse entirely. And most washing machines are set up to run a wash at one temp and a rinse at another. I have an old washer and even mine does this. I simply set it to hot wash and it automatically does a cold rinse. If your washer can do that they you will only make 2 trips...one to toss the dipes into the wash and one to take them out. Simple as that. Yes, many women follow very complex routines but there are many women who do not. Do what works for you. Like you I knew I would never stick with a complicated system so I don't even attempt it.

Should I end up with stink issues sometime in the future because I stuck to a simple wash routine then I will come here and do a search to see what to do to fix it. Till then I will stick to my simple routine and hope for the best.

Do what works best for you with the resources you have available to you!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Frozendesire
Registered Users

Hm. With pee diapers I do a hot wash, cold rinse (all in one setting) and then in the dryer on medium heat, I do this every other day as I don't have a big stash. With poop I do a cold rinse (one setting) and then a hot wash and cold rinse (one setting). So I need to go back and restart it with soap and new setting once. Then all in the dryer on medium heat.

I hope you can figure out something that works for you
Frozendesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
yella12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is potty learned during the day but his night dipes, I just rinse out in the sink (pee only) and they go in a hot wash cold rinse with either towels or a load of light colored clothes. Since I rinse the pee out I'm not worried about them in the wash. I hang the dipes over the utility sink outside and wash them every other day or 2 days depending on when I have enough laundry. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
Len27
Registered Users
seller

I don't do any extra rinses at the start or the end- just one straight heavy hot wash and then into the dryer. If you only have a few diapers or only pee diapers, you could always throw them in a load with towels or something. I'd just pick a cycle that has the most water- heavy wash/perm press, something like that. To my rationale, clean is clean, therefore I don't have a problem throwing in a towel or something with the load or vice versa (though don't do this often just because we always have a full load of dipes). But yeah, I would so not be running outside multiple times a day, that would make me crazy. I would simplify your wash routine, skip the extra washes/rinses (or wash with towels etc) and see what happens. The worse case scenario, you need to wash separately or add an extra rinse, but you won't know til you try, right?
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
poppys_mommy
Registered Users

Thanks! Looks like I can experiment a little more and we might be able to work something out. I'll try to stick with cloth a little longer.
poppys_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry too much about it- try it and see if you feel like they are getting clean. You could wash them with towels/sheets on hot, although I think you are fine on warm. If that isn't working, you could rinse them out by hand prior to storing them (I'd not let them sit wet for more than a few day, maybe rinse and hang dry), then throw them in the reg wash.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #18
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have many times only washed once a week and it's never been a problem. I would do two cycles (detergent in first cycle only). My washer has "extra wash" and "extra rinse" options so I only have to set it once and come back when it's done. You can start out as simple as you hope for the routine to be. If you can still smell the dipes when they come out of the wash, then you'll have to tweak your routine a bit. I think a lof of mamas make washing way too complicated.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote