Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Dosent like toys anymore?

My ds is 9.5months old, and he is interested in anything but toys! Wires, cupboard, lint you name it lol I am sure its normal, but does anyone know of any good learning toys for this age range I can get him interested in?

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dosent like toys anymore?

Sounds like you have a bright guy on your hands!!! My DS was the same & is a very gifted little guy. I say let him explore his surroundings! My 2.5 y/o would still rather have a screwdriver & unscrew the parts to his toys & put them back together than actually play with them. Bust out the pots & pans & start some imaginary play!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its funny you said that, cuz he is a very serious baby.. Like almost deep in thought alot KWIM? What was some of your DS's favorite non toys at around 10 months lol Iam desperate here!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

All my crawlers go through this.

The only cure is to gather up all the remote controls, cell phones and Key chains (the kind that set off the car alarm at 5:00 a.m are best) and put them on the floor.

Just give them to him. You can't win anyway.

Next, let him have all of your magazines.

Then dog food. That's a favorite... especially the water dish. Dunno why.

(I'm not actually serious)

--------------------------------

O.K, seriously, what you CAN do, is to fill cans and cartons with noisy things, then tape them up really well so he can't get into them. (You will throw these away in a few days or a week)

Those little colorful pot scrubbers at the .99 store.

Really REALLY big spoons. Too big to shove in his mouth.

Buckets, any kind of buckets work great. He will just want to put stuff in them, and then dump them out.

Beach Balls!!!!

Pool noodles.

Anything that doesn't already exist in his toy box, or anything that you can make, and doesn't look like a toy. But, you must watch him while he plays with this stuff. There is a reason they don't sell pool noodles to babies. So, you must put them away when you aren't going to sit with him while he plays, or at least be watching him closely.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
emily23
Registered Users

My Mood:

I gave DS his own cupboard, full of plastic stuff, big spoons like pp said, his favorite is the salad spinner. Also empty plastic water bottles, stacking rings, wooden blocks, nesting cups. He loves to sit in the grass and fill a cup up with grass, then dump it out and start over. He is very deliberate when he plays.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 9 month old isn't crawling, but she is doing the same thing. She wants the remote, cell phone, kitchen utensils, pots, pants, tea kettle, wires, electric outlets, dish drainer, cupboard doors, curtain tiebacks....all the things OTHER than her 100+ toys. Must be a developmental thing (lol).

No suggestions! I'm going through it too.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Jessica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
All my crawlers go through this.

The only cure is to gather up all the remote controls, cell phones and Key chains (the kind that set off the car alarm at 5:00 a.m are best) and put them on the floor.

Just give them to him. You can't win anyway.

Next, let him have all of your magazines.

Then dog food. That's a favorite... especially the water dish. Dunno why.

(I'm not actually serious)

I really thought you were serious for a second LOL

I think Ill be making a trip to the Dollar store see what I can muster up! Thanks for the help ladies
Old 04-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I give my kids the BIG boxes from purchases like strollers (check for staples...they usually use tape now though).

I also buy them Dixie cups at that age. Yup, plain ole Dixie cups (the larger size). As they break down, just throw out the ones that are "worn". They build with them, stack, knock things down and have a great time!

I usually end up making a cabinet as well that is "allowed" with tupperware in it and whatever safe stuff I can. They get wooden spoons and pots to bang on.

Honestly, I hate a lot of the toys out there. Some have good ideas, but the execution of it is all wrong. Those toys with the annoying music in it is the WORST! I've bought the "educational" toys before for my other kids but found they educate themselves much better if they are allowed to explore.

When they are older (or if they don't put things in their mouths), I LOVE the rice bucket we have! Fill up a rubbermaid container with (all dry ingredients) rice, lentils, navy beans, etc. Let the kids play in it with sandbox-type toys. It is GREAT for their sensory system, and they will usually end up climbing into it!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote