Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WOW, Sewing pul is hard :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boy1girl1kitty2
why polyester thread instead of cotton?
Polyester can't absorb liquid well. Cotton does. If you use cotton thread it can wick the moisture out of the diaper to any other cotton or absorbant material outside of the diaper. Probably more of an issue if you make casings around your leg elastics, I would guess. Also, the cotton can shrink where the polyester won't. And I think the polyester is more durable in the long run.

As for needle size being important - I'm not sure I agree with that. I have been using a size 14 needle from the start and have never had any wicking with any of the couple dozen diapers I have made. I used the size 14s for some heavy fleece pull-overs I made a while back and just never switched back to a smaller needle. I do wash and dry on hot to reseal the pul around the stitching though. And I DON'T like casing around my elastics, so maybe that's why I haven't had any problems.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I have sewn pul before with no problems. So what is a walking foot lol?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Mine is got a plactic "box" around it and an arm that lays on the presser foot dealy.

It's got extra feet on top that helps "grab" the sticky material and help it along. Since sewing machines only have "feet" on the bottom side it tends to bunch though, I've never sewn PUL w/o a walking foot so I've never had it happen!

Mine new Janome sewing machine came with one but you can get them for $25 or so in a store.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
Melissa
Banned
seller

I dont have problems sewing with out a walking foot either, I just sew on the fleece side of my ai2s plus I like the fleece to roll out anyways so that works perfect for me.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #15
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Teflon coated feet also work wonders with PUL I broke mine (cheapy I got off ebay) but it did make a difference while I had it. I wouldn't buy another though.

I don't sew with a walking foot exactly.. my Pfaff has something similar built-in: http://www.pfaffusa.com/195.html

So basically it doesn't matter if I sew shiny side up or shiny side down, it's still fed evenly
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
redheaded_dame
Registered Users

While I have never sewed PUL specifically, I used to sew corsets using vinyl and this stuff was a miracle:

it's called "Sewer's Aid" and it is a silicone based lubricant that you apply to the needle and/or foot and/or fabric. A tiny little bit of it goes a LONG way and doesn't gunk up the inner workings of your machine. It makes everything glide through like butta'.
redheaded_dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Okay, well THANKS for the advice about the walking foot, it is a bit easier. And thanks for the heads up on the sewer's aid stuff....I think I'll check that out, as I'm still a little pul impaired lol Perhaps I'll stick with hidden pul from now on, but I had an adorable piece of print pul that HAD to be the outer of an AIO

About the needle size, I have used a bigger needle before, and after resealign the pul it seemed to work fine, but as the dipe got older I found it wore out (started to wick) quicker if I started with the bigger hole to begin with. I haven't had that same experience with a smaller needle, so I think that using the smaller needle is the best bet.

Again, thanks ladies!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Great info
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote