Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Users
Using RLR

Just to save you guys some of the trouble I've had this week . . .

I used RLR to strip my diapers. Did a short cold wash with detergent (like always) then a hot wash with detergent AND the whole packet of RLR because that's what the packet said to do . . .

TWENTY rinses later (each rinse uses 20 gallons of water) we still had lots of suds! And I wasn't stripping for detergent buildup, but ammonia buildup. Every time I normally wash diapers, I check to make sure the bubbles are totally gone. The last rinse is always just plain water without bubbles.

Now, my diapers are very clean and the dirty chicken coop smell IS gone . . . but I stripped the other half of my diapers later in the week and this time used only 1 Tbsp. of RLR and NO detergent in the hot wash. They were clean after about 10 rinses.

I have an old-school top loader and soft water. And a well. Be careful with RLR. It works beautifully, but in some cases (like mine) it gets waaaaaaaaaaaay too sudsy. My poor washing machine. My poor diapers. My poor septic system . . .

Last edited by Melinda29; 03-20-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Using RLR

Ahh. I forgot I was going to check on here first but I just did that. Ooops. Well it is on it's second rinse and the bubbles are aboua quarter of what they were the first wash. Maybe I will try to rinse the diapers in the tub before running them threw the next rinse in my washer.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Using RLR

Melinda - you don't really need the detergent in the first cold wash, that could be where your bubble issue is coming from
Deborah ~ mommy to Colton (3) & Mason (4 months)
Coltonsmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote