Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Britax question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie010307 View Post
The padding is ok as long as it comes with the carseat, it should not be added after though. Personally the decathalons that I've played with have been a real pain to tighten. I like the seat overall, but I do not like the adjuster. Some of them are fine and some are a pain. Unfortunately you won't know which yours is going to be until you go to put a child in it!! Also, it really is just a fancy marathon, it doesn't have true SIP like the blvd. I would either get a marathon and use rolled up receiving blankets, or if I didn't have side curtain airbags and the baby would be outboard I would get the blvd for the SIP. The decathalon just doesn't do anything that the marathon doesn't, yet it costs more!
The Decathlon has an adjustable crotch strap, which the Marathon does not. That is actually the only reason we went with the Decathlon since it is for our son. We didn't want him to be uncomfortable when he is bigger. (which he may not have been anyway) We have two of them and the adjuster strap is very easy to work with on both of them.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #22
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
The Decathlon has an adjustable crotch strap, which the Marathon does not. That is actually the only reason we went with the Decathlon since it is for our son. We didn't want him to be uncomfortable when he is bigger. (which he may not have been anyway) We have two of them and the adjuster strap is very easy to work with on both of them.

Unless they've changed it the crotch strap on the decathlon is about 1/4-1/2 further out on the furthest setting than the marathon is. (The last time I measured was probably over a year ago so they may have changed since then.) It's really more for smaller babies. I'm glad you've got easy ones to adjust though.....some of the ones I've tried are easy when there's no child in them, but for some reason you put a child in and the straps refuse to get tight!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #23
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes the crotch strap on the DC only goes SLIGHTY more outward then the MA does. Its only intended to get smaller for infants, not larger for older children.

As far as the OPs question, this is copied from the FAQ of the babycenter car seat board which I frequent:

“Marathon- The most basic model of the three. It harnesses to 65 lbs, rf 5 to 33 lbs. It has a rf tether, ff and rf lockoffs. Has the lever style harness adjuster, 4 harness heights, and the crotch strap does not adjust. It is very padded and comfy just like all the britax seats, and has about a million cover choices. Will last till the child is ready for a booster most likely. Good for children that need to rf still (under 33 lbs).

Boulevard- Harness to 65 lbs, rf 5 to 33 lbs. Has rf tether, ff and rf lockoffs. It has true side impact protection (the "wings"). Has a lever style harness adjuster, and instead of having to remove the seat from the car to adjust the harness height you just turn a knob on the side of the seat, and it does not have an adjustable crotch strap. It has a removeable infant pillow so is also a good choice for a very small baby. Will last till the child is most likely ready for a booster. Good seat for any child. Especially one that will have to be on the side of a vehicle without side curtain airbags.”
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #24
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

We have both the Boulevard and the Marathon (and a Wizard, too). I chose the BV for my DS that has to sit outboard and the Marathon for my DS that can be in the center. They're both great seats... very easy to install and use correctly. I do love the wings on the BV - my 5 yr old calls them his pillows! It is nice to not have to re-thread the straps to move the harness position, too. Whichever seat you choose, definitely keep your DD rear facing to the 33 lb weight limit of the seat. It's so much safer! My DD was RF until 3 1/2 yrs and my 2 3/4 yr DS is still RF. Lots & lots of good info (and very knowledgeable child passenger safety technicians) here, too: www.car-seat.org
Now, if they'd just make the Boulevard with the same cute covers as the Marathon!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #25
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Yep, the main difference is the Side Impact Protection. Very important IMO and the reason we use the Boulevard. Also, I *think* the Boulevard is easier to adjust for height- just turn a knob, no rethreading. The Marathon has a way better selection of prints, but that not as important as safety. Look for free shipping when you buy online.