Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok... Thanks Peta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazoe View Post
Thats good to know. Now if only doctors shared this information with their low income patients.
well the problem is there is probably many dr's don't even know that. Just saying they don't always stay in the loop. My first baby I had NO idea about wic and breastfeeding...and i was ON WIC. I bf for 7 weeks and stopped.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
well the problem is there is probably many dr's don't even know that. Just saying they don't always stay in the loop. My first baby I had NO idea about wic and breastfeeding...and i was ON WIC. I bf for 7 weeks and stopped.

I didn't know either I did a little research on the net on wic and found something on pumps in a texas link since I am from MI I asked a ton of questions when I went in for my apt and even printed out the webpage info. They said it was a brand new program that was about a year ago. I think a lot of information is not given out on these sort of things you almost have to know going into it.
angelnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
ekmaurer3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

LLL is free for everyone no matter what the income level. There is support out there, unfortunately most people rely on the support of family. Many family members think bottles are the norm and if it was good enough for them why not this baby.
Our generation is changing the way people think about breastfeeding so right now most older family members still think formula is fine. Their generation formula fed frequently.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well hopefully with everything in the media today, the word will get out about how great breastfeeding is. Hopefully it will encourage moms to consider it when they may not have before. And maybe the government can get involved in educating doctors on the subject as well so they can provide some decent info to patients. Fingers Crossed.
Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnalex View Post
Just wanted to pipe in there and say low income mom's can get help with bf'd and a good pump through WIC. They have breast feeding support groups as well as classes and a lactation consultant that you can call. WIC also now offers bf moms a breast pump it may only be a manual one but it is medela and works quite well IMO it is the harmony medela bp. Maybe that will help some mamas to know.
Around here that is not the case unless you are breastfeeding 100% and even then they only have a handful of pumps to go around, and definitely no support groups or LC. WIC is so spotty sometimes!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
ETA; I just wanted to say that once the baby is more than 1 month old you no longer have to sterilize bottles or use nursery water or any of that. I am sure that bf'ing is still easier in terms of what you have to prepare (still have to make and clean bottles even if you dont sterilize), but its not that bad.
Hee hee... you caught me editorializing to make a point Maybe I should change it to say I'd rather whip out my b00b than handwash/dishwasher bottles, rings, nipples, add water, measure formula, mix with the mixer thing because my baby barfs up shaken bottles....

But my hijack is over. Peta surprises me sometimes, I think it's good to raise awareness -- because even if people get all hot and bothered over it, the message is out there! It warms my heart to see breastfeeding safe places when I go out with my kiddos, and see mamas nursing in public. What a neat generation we're raising.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
I cant BF. I have IGT (recently diagnosed) and was unable to bf both of my kids despite doing everything "right" (fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, dom, hospital grade pump, nursing on demand, using an sns, etc...) and I never got more than .5oz per feed (weighed before and after) and no more than a tablespoon of milk from both breasts combined per pumping session. Never engorged...never felt full, never felt let down, nothing.

I dont have an issue with this billboard. I wish more mothers that chose not to BF would rethink their decision. I am so utterly jealous of women who CAN bf but CHOOSE not to.

I would totally use a wetnurse if I could find one, lol!

ETA; I just wanted to say that once the baby is more than 1 month old you no longer have to sterilize bottles or use nursery water or any of that. I am sure that bf'ing is still easier in terms of what you have to prepare (still have to make and clean bottles even if you dont sterilize), but its not that bad.
I would totally come be a wetnurse for you if I lived in Chicago.

I think the sign is fantastic, kind of nice that PETA is on our side since they don't want the cows to be subject to the milking process. One person commented that if wet nurses and cross-nursing was the norm, there would be no need for formula, which is a fantastic point. I know several people with oversupply who just can't find time to pump, but if there was a baby around and it wasn't "taboo" in our culture, the baby could be fed and happy
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote