Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Britax Marathon for toddlers ?

I have a 2 1/2 year old son, and he is 36 inches tall, and less than 30 lbs.

We just recently purchased a Britax Marathon for our 1 year old DD, and she fits perfectly in it. We loved it so much we were going tomorrow to purchase a Britax Marathon for DS also, who has reached the height limits for his seat. I heard a few things from another Britax post about the crotch strap not being adjustable, so I snatched him up before bed and tried DD's seat on him...the crotch strap was no problem for a 2 1/2 year old, BUT we did find that his head is like 3 inches from the top

I thought that a child's head should always be inside the car seat or 1-3 inches below the top in order for them to be safe, BUT the User Guide that I have says the child could be 49 inches...so does this mean it's okay for my son's head to come out of the seat?

Also, it has no rear facing height limits in the User Guide and I can't find any...I don't know what I should assume?

HELP!

Advertisement

Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Britax Marathon for toddlers ?

If I remember right forward facing a child is the right height for a seat if the top is at or above the tops of their ears. So you would still have quite a bit of room. I could be wrong though. My oldest is over 40inches and can fit in his brothers marathon (he is in a Regent instead cause it has a higher weight limit.) Children tend to grow more in leg length after the first couple of years than trunk length, so even if he gets taller his torso may not get much longer for quite some time. The rear facing weight limit for Britax is 33lbs.

I just saw you wanted rear facing height limits, not weight. I beleive for rearfacing a child needs to have the top of their head below the top of the seat. I don't know that there is a certain amount of inches though. Most kids would reach the rear facing weight limit before the height limit of the seat. Forward facing is a different story as the Marathon forward faces to 65lbs.

Last edited by iris0110; 04-23-2007 at 09:23 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Height limits are NOT set in stone. They must list one by law but its actually torso height thats important.

Rear facing height is out grown ONLY when head has less then 1 inch from the TOP of the seat

Forward facing tips height is out grown when either the shoulders go ABOVE THE TOP SET OF STRAPS OR when the tips of the EARS are higher then the top of the seat. Their head can actually be about 3 or so inches above the seat (depending on how big their noggin is, lol)

This is the best pic I could find to illustrate it. This boy still has a few inches to go as far as head room
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum/Daniel.aspx

Last edited by OwensMama; 04-23-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: clarity
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Thank you sooooooooooooo much for that picture!!! That shows me that the crotch strap is okay and the height is great. You're awesome
Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

At the website that you gave me I noticed the video, the 3rd video of the crash test for rear facing vs foward facing, the 3rd video has a strip of velcrow or something on the childs head all the way from the seat to the chin, and it's restricting the movements of the head, can you see this?

I do however still strongly believe in the rule of rear facing until the max weight or height limits of the manufacture though, but I saw the videos with the same crash test footage on a utube and I've always wonderd if anyone else saw this
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Gloria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a marathon for our 6 month old DD and my 3 year old fits in it pretty well. BUT he wouldnt last long in it. The crotch strap did *squish* him when I would buckle him in, if ya know what I mean. But once it was buckled it was fine. We bought our 3 year old and 4(almost 5) year old both regents and they will *hopefully* be in those til they no longer have to be in car seats. My 3 year old is 33lbs and 33 inches tall BTW.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
brooklynn
Registered Users
seller

I am going by the tops of the ears recommendation. My almost four-year old has at least a couple more inches before we switch her from the Marathon. She will far exceed the heigh limit before the weight limit. But her baby sister will likely need it before then, so we'll just swap her over to the Regent.
BTW, my almost four year old has been in a Marathon since she moved from the bucket seat. And our two year old is in one, too. We love our Britax seats!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaG01 View Post
At the website that you gave me I noticed the video, the 3rd video of the crash test for rear facing vs foward facing, the 3rd video has a strip of velcrow or something on the childs head all the way from the seat to the chin, and it's restricting the movements of the head, can you see this?
Its a sensor set up to measure the amount of movement of the head. It is stretchable and moves with the head. The amount you see the head move is the total amount of movement in that crash, it does not restrict it or add to it in any mannor.

I should add that that car seat is braced AND Rf tethered. The results are much different on a RF seat that is NOT braced and tethered. Also it is darn near impossible to find US crash test videos they do not release them. All the ones you will find are of foreign car seats, which some do work differently then US seats. A seat that is NOT braced and tethered WILL rebound, which does not look pretty to be honest, but does NOT change the fact that RFing is safest.

Last edited by OwensMama; 04-23-2007 at 10:27 PM.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote