Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Mothersoup
Registered Users

Re: Help me simplify my diaper routine for two.

See, I'm afraid the accidents would be more stressful than the diapers. Would I need trainers or anything?

Advertisement

Mothersoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I think every kid is different. If she picks it up easy you might not need trainers. A lot of people like trainers for going out of the house - slightly more security - but we use Gerber's or similar around the house. I'll have to look back at what you have in your stash but if you have any pull-on covers (wool or PUL) you could use those over undies when you go out if you wanted. The accidents actually don't bother me for the most part. On the days when we have 5 in a row, I get a little frustrated, but this week he has only had 1 accident since Tuesday so I'm not feeling too bad right now. Don't feel pressured though keep her in diapers if that's what works best for you right now.

You could also do part-time, which is what we started with. Put her on the potty when you're around home and have time, but put her in diapers the rest of the time. Or maybe just put her in first thing after waking and before bath and bed or something like that. It won't hurt her to not go all out right away.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #13
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

I think the best way to simplify it would be to put a bunch of them in storage and then work with a smaller portion of it until you decide what you for sure like. Then you still would have the others if you decide you don't like what you have in use or if you want to try something else just to change it up a bit.
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I completely understand the need to simplify. With my first two I had some of everything, in all colors and styles. It was fun, but later I needed more uniformity. I had 3 in diapers sharing flats with flips covers. That was simple. Later I had 4 in diapers which I had to keep separate for hygiene reasons so I had to have different types to identify them and it was a pain. Now I've only had one or two in diapers for a few years and I do pull on wool with flats. The big kid bed wetters have all in one type pull ups and they drive me crazy because they are all different kinds!

I agree just put whatever you don't use in storage for now.

I think the flats in a cover would be the closest to all in one.

In reality, sharing diapers isn't really going to happen. If you get an adjustable sized cover or diaper, you will keep them snapped at each child's adjustment. Flats for inserts yes, you'll use for both. The rest you're going to have two piles anyway.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd lean toward using what you have or option C. You know nothing about this babe are their sensitivities. With my son we did cotton during the day and suede cloth at night all PUL. DD (#2) needed suedecloth all the time and wool covers as much as we could manage to keep the rashes away.

If you can afford to and really need to choose one of your options (for sanity or whatever) I would not get rid of everything else right away. Pack it away and maybe in a year if you don't use it get rid of it then.

Look into the practice of EC (Elimination communication). DS was sitting on the potty during diaper changes at 9m and DD at 12m. They were both day trained by 2.5y. No trainers or anything needed. Just talk about the potty and sit on it during changes or if you are able to predict when she needs to go.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-19-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
Mothersoup
Registered Users

Lightbulb Re: Help me simplify my diaper routine for two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I think every kid is different. If she picks it up easy you might not need trainers. A lot of people like trainers for going out of the house - slightly more security - but we use Gerber's or similar around the house. I'll have to look back at what you have in your stash but if you have any pull-on covers (wool or PUL) you could use those over undies when you go out if you wanted. The accidents actually don't bother me for the most part. On the days when we have 5 in a row, I get a little frustrated, but this week he has only had 1 accident since Tuesday so I'm not feeling too bad right now. Don't feel pressured though keep her in diapers if that's what works best for you right now.

You could also do part-time, which is what we started with. Put her on the potty when you're around home and have time, but put her in diapers the rest of the time. Or maybe just put her in first thing after waking and before bath and bed or something like that. It won't hurt her to not go all out right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Look into the practice of EC (Elimination communication). DS was sitting on the potty during diaper changes at 9m and DD at 12m. They were both day trained by 2.5y. No trainers or anything needed. Just talk about the potty and sit on it during changes or if you are able to predict when she needs to go.
For awhile, like around 14 mo, she would poop on the potty. She would get her poop face on, I would ask her if she wanted to go on the potty, and she would. It lasted a week. I would ask, then she would say, "NO!" and run away. I didn't push the issue, but we haven't stopped talking about it.

Recently she had a stomach bug and we spent some time on the potty. Since then she has showed interest again, and we have made quite a few catches. She is very verbal and can follow fairly complex instructions, but I am just not sure she wants to. She is fighting diaper changes right now, but overall, she just seems to be feeling really stubborn. The more she knows that I want her to do it, the more she wants to fight it. So I just don't know how much effort I should invest in it. I don't want to miss out on an opportunity, but with a new baby showing up, will she regress?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #17
Mothersoup
Registered Users

Potty learning/training/EC aside, it seems we are all agreed I shouldn't get rid of anything yet. Kids are different and always changing and I need to be prepared to adapt.

My needs biggest needs for simplifying are quick easy changes (dirty to clean in less than a minute) and an easy to follow routine.

My husband is willing to jump in when he can, but what seems fairly easy to me because I do it a million times during the day, is not straightforward to him. He often feels like I am changing the rules on him. I used Y because X was in the wash. What part of it do I change, the whole thing or just the insert? She was wearing a fitted and there was only a prefold in the diaper bag. Where is the snappi? What do I do when wool has poop on it?"

So more than I want to cut number of items, I want the fewest number of variables for him. And me too. As fun as it is to drive a manual, sometimes you just don't want to be constantly changing gears. A good enough solution for most of the time is less stressful than juggling everything for the perfect solution every time.

How do you guys navigate this? Please feel free to veer completely away from my A B C options.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #18
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothersoup View Post
Potty learning/training/EC aside, it seems we are all agreed I shouldn't get rid of anything yet. Kids are different and always changing and I need to be prepared to adapt.

My needs biggest needs for simplifying are quick easy changes (dirty to clean in less than a minute) and an easy to follow routine.

My husband is willing to jump in when he can, but what seems fairly easy to me because I do it a million times during the day, is not straightforward to him. He often feels like I am changing the rules on him. I used Y because X was in the wash. What part of it do I change, the whole thing or just the insert? She was wearing a fitted and there was only a prefold in the diaper bag. Where is the snappi? What do I do when wool has poop on it?"

So more than I want to cut number of items, I want the fewest number of variables for him. And me too. As fun as it is to drive a manual, sometimes you just don't want to be constantly changing gears. A good enough solution for most of the time is less stressful than juggling everything for the perfect solution every time.

How do you guys navigate this? Please feel free to veer completely away from my A B C options.

Have two stacks of PUL covers-one for toddler and one for baby. Padfold flats for each. Maybe attach flats for Baby and padfold for toddler. Put the prefolds in a box out of sight in case you need to simplify later. Sell everything else or donate it.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothersoup View Post

I Think the best way to help dad is to try not to use the last couple of the diapers he is most comfortable with. Or if you are around and he is on the way for the diaper change let him know what he should look for and which piece to change. Things like poop on the cover I'd just ask him to come get me.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it is wise to stream-line a little. Maybe you could have a basket for baby and a basket for toddler, and label them? I personally think prefolds are easier/simpler than flats, so I would probably put NB prefolds, workhorses (because they're also pretty easy) and covers in one basket, and toddler's prefolds and PUL or wool covers in another. If you want to put AIOs in your diaper bag, at least they will be out of the way, and you'll know you have everything you need taken care of there (no wondering where to find a snappi). You have to decide what is easier for you and your husband, but I would think putting away either the prefolds or flats would simplify the area significantly, and if you have separate baskets (or drawers, or SOMETHING) for the baby and the toddler that are clearly marked, it wouldn't get so confusing, you know? I think that's what I would do. And you can padfold the prefolds too in those PUL covers.

Last edited by MamaLlama; 02-20-2018 at 01:42 PM.
MamaLlama is offline   Reply With Quote