Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
sarahbrianne429
Registered Users
seller

Re: Registry Friends and Foes

Your needs are very simple! I honesty think that your average Jane gets all baby happy and buys almost everything that is geared towards babies. We dont have a lot of money so we get by with just the nessecities so I thought that I could share what we find to be essential.

1. A car seat (yeah, duh!)
2. Car seat stroller (those things like snap n go)
3. Diapers (cloth of course)
4. Wipes (cloth)
5. Baby body products like lotions, bubble bath, laundry soap etc. It is very important to make sure that they are free of hidden chemicals, I personally recommend Shea Moisture for lotion and body wash or Dr Bronners baby mild. I also like Ecos for laundry soap and its also cloth diaper friendly
6. Somewhere for baby to sleep (We cosleep
7. Clothes
8. A swing or a husband that will hold your sleeping baby and walk with him/her
9. Basic baby toys to entertain them. I like dandelion, haba, plan and green toys. I was surprised to find out how many chemicals are still allowed to be put in baby/kids toys and those 4 seem to be the best readily available brands.
10. I love my boppy, I get sore shoulders without it! I dont like my breastfriend.
11. A play pen, or a crib if you have one already. We have a play pen but rarely use it though, FYI

the reason why I said a car seat stroller is because it can be tough to deal with a big clunky stroller as a part of a travel system when you just had a baby and they take up a lot of room. The carseat strollers are light, compact and easy to fold/unfold. Graco sells them which reminds me that Graco also sells a carseat swing. We have one and I love

Congrats on your babe!

Advertisement

sarahbrianne429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
sarahbrianne429
Registered Users
seller

Your needs are very simple! I honesty think that your average Jane gets all baby happy and buys almost everything that is geared towards babies. We dont have a lot of money so we get by with just the nessecities so I thought that I could share what we find to be essential.

1. A car seat (yeah, duh!)
2. Car seat stroller (those things like snap n go)
3. Diapers (cloth of course)
4. Wipes (cloth)
5. Baby body products like lotions, bubble bath, laundry soap etc. It is very important to make sure that they are free of hidden chemicals, I personally recommend Shea Moisture for lotion and body wash or Dr Bronners baby mild. I also like Ecos for laundry soap and its also cloth diaper friendly
6. Somewhere for baby to sleep (We cosleep
7. Clothes
8. A swing or a husband that will hold your sleeping baby and walk with him/her
9. Basic baby toys to entertain them. I like dandelion, haba, plan and green toys. I was surprised to find out how many chemicals are still allowed to be put in baby/kids toys and those 4 seem to be the best readily available brands.
10. I love my boppy, I get sore shoulders without it! I dont like my breastfriend.
11. A play pen, or a crib if you have one already. We have a play pen but rarely use it though, FYI

the reason why I said a car seat stroller is because it can be tough to deal with a big clunky stroller as a part of a travel system when you just had a baby and they take up a lot of room. The carseat strollers are light, compact and easy to fold/unfold. Graco sells them which reminds me that Graco also sells a carseat swing. We have one and I love

Congrats on your babe!
sarahbrianne429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, I forgot...we didn't get that much use from our P&P, never really just put DD in it. However we were handed dwn a heavyweight play yard & couldn't have done without it. It contained DD while I cooked dinner, it was a "gate" across expanses wider than a doorway, we brought it out in the yard. We fully plan to use it again.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Southern mama to Boogie
Registered Users
seller

If you don't have a bassinet or something else for baby to sleep in for the first few months, I highly recommend the rock'n'play. DS loved his, and it's easy to move from room to room. He slept in it until he was probably about 5.5- 6 months old (he was learning how to lean forward and try to sit up lol)

Bumbo, as many have already said, is typically very short lived. My DS used his for maybe 3 months, but for those three months it was one of the only ways I could get ANYTHING done. So if recommend a seat similar ( I'll probably look into the mamas and papas seat whenever we decide to have #2)

Boppy- was never useful for me at all. I'm very short waisted and big chested, so trying to use the boppy while nursing was just awkward. He never liked to be propped on it either.
Southern mama to Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern mama to Boogie
If you don't have a bassinet or something else for baby to sleep in for the first few months, I highly recommend the rock'n'play. DS loved his, and it's easy to move from room to room. He slept in it until he was probably about 5.5- 6 months old (he was learning how to lean forward and try to sit up lol) Bumbo, as many have already said, is typically very short lived. My DS used his for maybe 3 months, but for those three months it was one of the only ways I could get ANYTHING done. So if recommend a seat similar ( I'll probably look into the mamas and papas seat whenever we decide to have #2) Boppy- was never useful for me at all. I'm very short waisted and big chested, so trying to use the boppy while nursing was just awkward. He never liked to be propped on it either.
My daughter is 16 months and still uses her mamas and papas seat. It's got a removable insert that works for baby and then the hard shell works for bigger kids. Even my 2 and 4 year olds fit in it. Plus it came with the tray. I'd definitely recommend over the bumbo.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't care for the bumbo- mine were always trying to arch out of them.
I hated the boppy because I'm big chested and have a wide waist and it killed me- regular pillows were much better and free.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #17
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia View Post
With Baby #1, I'm researching and researching and researching for our registry.

My main questions- CD mamas- what did you need in particular? cuz most youtube videos don't apply to that

2) Bumbo- friend or foe?
3) Boppy- friend or foe?

the more I read about Aden and Anais swaddling blankets the more I want to buy them myself and forget waiting for a shower!

Help me out experienced mamas! What else do I need? (Pregnancy needs are also encouraged)
Cloth Diaper gifts that I would have enjoyed would be-
-Sprayer
-A step lid cheap trash can for a diaper pail
-pail liners
-CJs BUTTer is my favorite (Warm Vanilla Cake and Blueberry Crumble are my personal fav scents for my boys)
-Diapers themselves if you know what you want

Non-Cloth
-Natural body items, like CJs or some other small biz like that
-I still want a Sophie
- Amber teething necklace (from Inspired by Finn)
-I love my Boppy. I am 5'4" and a DD when nursing and find it too work great. I use it esp during eating at the table, I always end up nursing through Supper. I use it for taking photos of newbies, play time, and my 19 month old giggles him self silly when I let him nap with it. I used the MyBreastFriend in NICU, but found it a pain and bulky and it has no other uses that I can see. It takes time to find the secret to making either work.

The only thing pregnancy wise I use are vitamins, starch mark cream when I can remember, and maternity clothes. I prop up on the same 3 pillow I sleep with all the time.

Bumbo is neutral. I used it a lot with my oldest, the nest two have arched out of it and the oldest tried to get them out of it. It's a pain in my closet at this time and has been for 3 years+ now. I think it is way over priced for what it is. The only thing I see it being really good for is some therapy time for one on one working with slowly devolving babies.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

Non-Cloth
-Natural body items, like CJs or some other small biz like that
-I still want a Sophie
- Amber teething necklace (from Inspired by Finn)
-I love my Boppy. I am 5'4" and a DD when nursing and find it too work great.

So...what's a Sophie??
Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

A giraffe toy-
http://sophiegiraffeusa.com/
Old 01-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #20
DDGoff
Registered Users

I love our Princelionheart seat over the bumbo, I traded in the bumbo and got a free PLH one It's basically the same only I can put the PLH one on a chair b/c of the belt. I still use it at the table for my almost 3 yr old.

We used the Gerber side snaping shirts too, I like them better then onsie's b/c of all the diaper changes at first and the onsies seem so difficult on the nb size.

A&A swaddle for sure, I would put the Miracle Blanket on your registry also, its best for wiggly babies that do not stay in a regular swaddle. And a lot of people like them so the resell value is good if you don't end up using it.

A baby carrier, I love my ergo, moby I never got the hang of, Beco and Tula are also like Ergo, I'm looking for a ring sling but will try the moby for the first month or so. Its all preference.

Multiple changes stations, they don't have to be fancy and all stocked up like the main one but trust me the first week or two when you get home from the hospital you are not oging to want to walk very far, especially at night.

pack-n-play our first one just had the bassinet part, very simple and worked great in the living room, room inside for diapers and a wipe case and a place to put them down for the run to the bathroom or doorbell ect (also great if you have animals, keep them further off the floor then a swing or bouncer does)

Bouncer with vibration, I love the 2-in-1 we had where the bouncer clicked into the swinging part. The vibration is GREAT for babies that have gas problems.

Carseat and stroller system, having them click into the stroller is pretty much a necessity for me.

Decide what kind of Breast pump you need, I think there is a new law or something where every new mom gets a free breast pump but it depends on your insurance as to what model ($$) you can get, either way it is better then the one they give you at the hospital.

Everything else you will find out if you really need it when the baby comes. If you have a lot of family that you know will use the registry to pick look ahead at the big ticket items for later like and excersaucer, babyfood maker like the beaba that steams and puree's (I want one this time) there is also a puree' pouch filler I want to get too. The 4-6 month mark comes quick so you can search for best products for that age also to get idea's. If you want you can look at mine, just search Desiree Goff, I am the one in California. Remember it's my 3rd baby so it's missing a lot of what you would have.

oh and the amber teething neclace worked GREAT on my second who had super swollen gums during teething.

Last edited by DDGoff; 01-26-2014 at 08:43 PM.
DDGoff is offline   Reply With Quote