Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Birth Plans /Birth Prep

Any of you thinking about birth plans yet? Or doing anything to prep for birth? I'm not really writing a birth plan this time. My Dr knows me well and did my last delivery so she is pretty aware that I'm very natural and hands off. I'll probably have a few bullet points on a paper for hubs and the doula as reminders about a few things.

I did Bradley birth with my 1st and Hypnobabies with my 2nd. I'm going to start reviewing my bradley book soon for this baby. I felt like my bradley birth was much more peaceful and easier on me than my hypnobabies birth. I'll also start Red raspberry leaf tea pregnancy blend in a few weeks and I always take a herbal tincture for labor prep starting at 36 weeks.

Other than that I feel like I need to prepare myself mentally more this time. I feel so unprepared. Being my 3rd time you'd think I would be ready to go but I'm feeling alot more apprehensive this time.

Advertisement

mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Plans /Birth Prep

It's my 9th time and I'm never mentally prepared for labor. It really hurts birthing 10lb babies....especially when they get stuck sometimes. My doc and doula know my plan well by now. I'm just trying to exercise more this go round.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Meh, dh and my mom both know what I want. Ive never written a birth plan. I just tell my dh, mom and doctor what I want, repeat it to the hospital staff and go from there. Im also pretty adament about things still through the labor
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
mdm81888
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you found that birth plans are followed? I didn't write one with ds because I was told it wasn't worth it. I have been debating it this time. But at the same time I hate confrontation..... so I really don't know what I should do.

Wade, Melissa, and Samson 4.11.13
mdm81888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first birth was a homebirth with a midwife and a doula. I told both of them what I wanted so I didnt really write a plan.
My 2nd was a hospital birth with a doula again. I wrote a birth plan and showed my Dr but I honestly dont remember getting the paper out at the birth. Hubby and my doula told the nurses what I wanted and the Dr knew me well enough to know that I'm pretty hands off type of person and she was amazing!
This time I'm not really writing one. My labors go super fast (6 hours 1st, 3 hours 2nd) so there isnt a lot of time for nurses to pester me about things and my husband knows enough about what I want and dont want that he will tell them if they start doing something I dont want. I'm using the same Dr as well so she knows my wants and dont wants. I am doing a bullet point sheet for my doula and hubs just as reminders. Like dont forget to ask me if I want ice or a drink, offer me chapstick (my lips got really dry with my labors), Remind me to move or change positions, no vaccines given to baby, etc. . . .
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
apollocandybar
Registered Users

I've never written a birth plan (this is #4) and don't plan to this time either. I have pretty fast labors, and don't expect the hospital staff to pause and read a list before they treat me. My husband is pretty vocal and pushy in these situations so I know he'll advocate for me as needed.

My only goal this time around is to avoid the IV (though due to hospital policy I must still have a hep lock). Seriously, the WORST part of my last labor was the stupid IV. The nurse was a ding dong and blew out my vein, had to stick it in my hand, and ended up hitting a nerve causing me severe hand/wrist pain that lasted for months after the delivery. The fully developed human coming out of me was a sidebar compared to all that!
apollocandybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Keiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wrote one with my first and the nurses did honestly ask me for one and took the time to read it. So that was nice. My birth went NOTHING like planned, so it didn't really matter in the end, but it was nice that they cared and tried to honor my plan. My nurse was great and was very helpful in trying for a natural birth, my daughter just had other plans lol.

I honestly don't know if I will do one this time around. I'm much more laid back this time around since I know how horribly wrong it can go, that I'm not really stressing about the how the baby comes out, more so just get it done. I do plan on asking my dr. next week at my 30 week appt if he would like one written up though. But he knows I'm trying for a VBAC, so it'd be more for the nurses than anything I suppose.

Waldorf dolls and Natural toys for your little Keiki
Visit my blog where I post kid friendly crafts, recipes, reviews, giveaways and more! Sequins and Scribbles

Mama to Annamarie (7/11) and Felicity (8/15)
Keiki is offline   Reply With Quote