Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
coater83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
August 2016 July Chat

Hi Ladies -

Crazy that it is July already, I went ahead a started a new month's thread as it appears that's what you have done in the past. Hope that's okay!

Any who... I'm struggling with my diaper bag selection. It shouldn't be this hard for a bag, but as a first time Mom, I honestly have no clue about how much (or how little, ha) junk I'll need to cart around with this kid. I also really really don't want a bag that screams "baby". I.E. I want it to have all the functional pockets but not a super loud pattern.

I already got a great deal on a handmade bag from Etsy but it doesn't have any outside pockets. So now I'm searching for the "back-up" or maybe "primary" bag, any suggestions on MUST HAVE features?

DH has his own "dude" bag that is messenger style. The one I already own is a tote style.

Enjoy your 4th!

Advertisement

coater83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: August 2016 July Chat

I am trying to find a messenger style diaper bag in purple. Yeah I think that may be impossible.

Everything is ready for baby though someone in another group I am suggested that if you have free time, start freezing some foods for dinner. I would like to but I don't know how to do that with my hypermesis gravidarum not liking my typical foods plus I am not sure how I can freeze foods that are basically Paleo. I eat a LOT of salads with veggies on it plus a meat (chicken, bacon, ground turkey). Most of my foods are a weekly prep, chopping lettuce, cucumbers.....

Only "bad thing" is my husband is having surgery on his foot in 2.5 weeks and then has to stay off it for 4-6 weeks. That means he will be out of commission when i am slated to give birth. I do not know how we will do it. This is not a surgery he can postpone and honestly should have had earlier but military medicine moves slow.

I do hope everyone is doing well.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post
I am trying to find a messenger style diaper bag in purple. Yeah I think that may be impossible.
LL Bean has some messenger style bags in purple that may work well as a diaper bag!

I went with the Skip Hop Grand Central in Cinnamon, and Kelley(also in this group), also went with the same bag, but in black & white stripes.

With my last baby, I had a bag made by Lily Bloom, I used it for nearly three years.

I will likely look for a smaller bag later, but the large diaper bag tends to get used for a long time! The smaller one will come in handy for quick trips and when nearly potty trained, but need a change just in case!

Last edited by scrapandsewon; 07-03-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Add
scrapandsewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

I think ill use my grand central for a long time. Once the baby is done with diapers, I 'll be carrying coloring books, crayons, undies, etc..I'm a huge packer lol.

I like that the Grand central has HUGE outside end pockets. My 10" kindle can fit in one! I also like that it's a middle priced bag.

I've thought about freezing food before, but never do. We'll get take out for a few day when I get home. Then ill just make simple foods for another few days. I don't really like frozen meals that much.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anybody else have their induction scheduled? Mine is for Aug. 3rd unless my BP spikes or she fails an NST. That will put me right at 39 weeks. I never expected to go that far, heck I didn't think we'd go beyond 32 weeks but what do I know. With my last the drs never expected me to make it past 24 weeks and we made it all the way to 36/5.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

I don't have an induction date, but my c section is set for the 27th unless I fail a NST.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
coater83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nothing planned here yet. Baby was in the 72% during our 20 week ultra-sound, so they did another sizing ultra-sound at week 28 and we were in the 82% at that time. One more ultra-sound on 8/1 (36 weeks) to determine the predicted size (if you put much stock in their estimates). Basically because we are measuring big, I highly doubt they will let me go the 2 weeks past our predicted due date before induction (as would be typical with a first time low risk pregnancy)... Guess we will find out more in in the next few weeks.
Hopefully the kiddo decides to come on his/her own terms and it won't matter, but my guess is worst case induction will be 9/2 or sooner - based on our due date of 8/26.
coater83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #8
xraymom23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got a Skip Hop Studio Select for a diaper bag this time. It's about the same size as the Grand Central, but more "purse" looking. Target had the Pewter color, which I got and love, on sale for $31 online. It's normally a $90 bag.

We technically have talked about inducement yet. By ultrasound I'm due Aug 22nd, but by LMP I'm due the 29th. Since I work with my doctor we've talked about it and I said I would let her induce on Sept 1st if he's not here yet. I have a tendency to have large babies, so no more than that!

I finally am getting a few things done for this baby. Still don't have a name yet though!! I got the nursery painted this weekend. The crib is here and we'll put that together this weekend. I've done a couple of loads of laundry for him, washing sheets, diapers, clothes, ect. Now if the car seat would just get here! I ordered it and a 2nd base. The base has came, but the seat itself has not. The tracking info that was emailed to me has that it was delivered on December 23rd in Kentucky. I live in Kansas!! And I just ordered it what last week? Weird!!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel like I'm forgetting something! Anyone else?
I know I need to pack my bag, and have a couple more things to wash.
But I swear, everything else is ready, diaper bag, cloth diapers, clothes, blankets, bath stuff, wipes & disposables for the first couple days and maybe overnights later on. Car seat washed, ready to be installed. Crib is up. DH needs to bring up the armoire, but it's painted and ready, besides, all the newborn clothes fit in one basket, and cloth diapers have their own shelf.

What could I possibly be forgetting?
Old 07-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Target has a buy $150 of baby stuff, get a $25 gift card deal, so we just went on a shopping spree. I think I have everything I need now for the first few months!