Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
Mothersoup
Registered Users

Re: First time father, off to a good start!

You may be perfectly fine taking a simpler route! Cotton is pretty tough. I'd still recommend some bleach initially.

For me, it would have been simpler to just go all out from the beginning, instead of doing something simpler and fighting rashes, and eventually having to strip and sanitize. A lot of that had to do with water quality in my area and yeast from second hand diapers.

I'm an amateur. These ladies are pros, this is just what I'd recommend after my limited experience.

Advertisement

Mothersoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #12
PharmFather
Registered Users

I have an HE front load, so I've heard that doing a bleach soak in a front load is a no go. I could use the bathtub method , but would it be more than a 1/2 cup for the tub? and do just a 30 min soak, rinse cold, then wash as per normal in the machine? If they are better after a tumble dry post super cleaning we might just go ahead and grab a bunch more. Wife is getting pretty good at replacing elastic.
PharmFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmFather View Post
I have an HE front load, so I've heard that doing a bleach soak in a front load is a no go. I could use the bathtub method , but would it be more than a 1/2 cup for the tub? and do just a 30 min soak, rinse cold, then wash as per normal in the machine? If they are better after a tumble dry post super cleaning we might just go ahead and grab a bunch more. Wife is getting pretty good at replacing elastic.

I didn't mean soaking in bleach, I meant adding bleach to your wash.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's true using bleach regularly will decrease the life of your diapers, but once in a while is not a problem, and it is a good idea to sanitize them if they were used by someone else. 1/4 cup in a load of diapers.

ETA: If your wife has already had to replace elastics, the diapers you got are likely very very used. Their absorbency may also be compromised if they are old enough to need new elastic. You can certainly still use them, but you are likely not getting an accurate picture of what kind of diaper works best for you. Just something to consider as you build the rest of your stash.

Last edited by zeotwoski; 02-17-2018 at 03:15 PM.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #15
BabyRoo2018
Registered Users

I am new to cloth diapering my self but I agree with Chirpy as far as Fluff Love University as well as many other places/people over complicating a wash routine & also the new hype on "stripping". Of course strip/sanitize used diapers but after that, if washed properly stripping should not be necessary. I have read what Grovia says about laundering cloth diapers & I agree with them, what they say makes so much sense (common sense). I would highly recommend checking out the info on their site.

Last edited by BabyRoo2018; 02-26-2018 at 06:41 AM.
BabyRoo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
jessikate
Registered Users

Also, I fell in love with wool liners. Super soft, and helps baby feel dry. Can often get s steal of a deal. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jessikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I would agree with sanitizing used diapers, bleach is the easiest more efficient way to ensure they are sanitized. I would wash them once with bleach and detergent and then run a hot or warm cycle without detergent to get an idea of how many soap bubbles (not agitation bubbles) are seen. If you see alot of them, wash again on either hot or warm without detergent until bubbles are minimal. Also agree with using the dryer to help soften.

If you still do not like the feel you can buy butter soft suedecloth or microfleece and cut into liners for your DD as well (or possible even sew into the diapers maybe...).

(Bleach soaks are scary because what if you get distracted and forget -- that could be bad. I'd just use the machine wash)
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 03-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote