Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

The biggest problem with today's parenting is....

____________.

^^^ I'm interested to know how you'd complete the sentence. We had a very interesting Sunday School class this morning with lots of lively discussion and this is sort of a spin off of that.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The biggest problem with today's parenting is....

The problem with today's parenting is that many adults lack a moral compass and it negatively affects their children.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Today's parents think that the world revolves around their kids, and teach their kids this attitude subconsciously. It is resulting in a strong sense of entitlement, self-assurance, and a lack of respect/admiration/interest in/for others.

Maybe.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lol @ the maybe.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The problem with today's parenting is yesterday's parenting.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

There are so many issues that tie into this, that I don't think you can really pin it down to a single issue. There is definitely an issue with lack of morals, discipline, and commitment. A big part of the problem is the lack of family structure. Too many parents want to be their children's friend. Much of the problem goes back a couple generations. You could argue that the problems started in the Garden of Eden, and to an extent, I would agree.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

.. you can't trust anyone anymore so even though it still probably should "take a village" to raise children we instead have to parent in a silo.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
The problem with today's parenting is that many adults lack a moral compass and it negatively affects their children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
The problem with today's parenting is yesterday's parenting.
So what was wrong with last generation's parenting that made that issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Today's parents think that the world revolves around their kids, and teach their kids this attitude subconsciously. It is resulting in a strong sense of entitlement, self-assurance, and a lack of respect/admiration/interest in/for others.

Maybe.
I do think this is a huge issue, at least in our area.

I do recognize that there are many problems and that most of them stem from previous generations. Just curious what the one biggest issue you see is.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't know about the one biggest issue, but one I have thought of since posting earlier is the lack of accepting responsibility.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I do recognize that there are many problems and that most of them stem from previous generations. Just curious what the one biggest issue you see is.
Of course there are many problems, but there are general "themes" or trends in parenting that go along with the times. Today, these trends are set by babycenter "experts" and possibly other experts such as our pediatricians. Examples: my friend gives her son timeouts of 1 minute per year old that he is, because that's "all he can handle". I can guarantee you my mom would not have made me sit in a chair for 4 minutes after I threw my food on the floor and expected to have accomplished teaching me a lesson. That wasn't the trend in the 80s, but it is the trend now. I also just read an article on babycenter that says my child is too young to sit quietly in a church service. The article suggested that DH and I take turns staying out with him - one if us attends the first half of church and the other attends the second half. Again, not what my parents would have done, and not what DH and I do. DS knows very well how to properly behave in church, and we have incredibly long services.

Every well-child checkup we get a new printout of what your child should be doing at this age and what your child can and can't handle yet. They are complete jokes. If I limited DS to what the doctor says he is able to do and what she says he can handle at this point, I feel like I would have a mess on my hands, and I would be severely limiting him.

So...I do think it's fair to say there are some problems with the current trends in parenting, or in "today's parents". Honestly, I have many friends who basically do whatever babycenter tells them to do with each issue that comes up.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote