Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
clotheguy
Registered Users

Was Cloth Diapering the right choice?

We are on our second child "diapering with a brand" , we LOVED the brand. Made in the US. It wasn't until recently that we started having issues with the diapers leaking. After realizing the problems that the PUL was separating, cracking and getting holes in the diaper shells. We contacted the manufacture and the seller. We were informed that direct sunlight will damage the shells. We weren't expecting anything from either place other then a decent explanation and possibly an apology. Neither of which came. I am looking for thoughts on other cloth diaper companies. Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Agla; 01-05-2016 at 01:59 PM.
clotheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Was Cloth Diapering the right choice?

Are you using the diapers from your first child or are they new? how many months overall do you think they have been used?

Diapers are used and washed generally every other day, soiled, and washed on the roughest cycle and hot water. Think of a Cotton TShirt or rainjacket taking that kind of abuse. I'm going to guess you are on 2 years+ use and I'd say you've done great and saved a ton of money.

If you still like the fit of best bottoms I would say buy more covers since you already have the inserts it won't be that big of a second investment. Chances are you will get another 2 years+ out of them.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Hm, yes, I have to completely agree with what Pixi6s said. If you got 2+ years out of those covers, they did well. The constant washing, drying, and just being used is hard on materials, (nevermind the sunshine, which may or may not be an issue). I guess it does depend a little bit on how many covers you had. If it was a large enough number that you only used a cover every other or every third wash cycle (so it was sitting a lot unused) then its not so reasonable. But most people just purchase enough covers so that they all get washed every few days. Two years of that is pretty good, no matter the brand.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

If you are just fed up with the BestBottoms company anyway, you can consider Buttons. They are the same system, their covers and inserts are interchangeable with BestBottoms. However, Buttons are made in China, not the US (but I didn't think BestBottoms was actually made in the US either, I thought it was just owned in the US with manufacturing in China). But it is an idea to consider.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
clotheguy
Registered Users

We had purchased 35 shells, really constant washing isn't a issue. We did indeed use the diapers for our first child who was out of diapers at 2 1/2 years and have used the same diapers for our second who is 4 months old. Part of my issue is being "green", not bein able to use sunlight. Their lack of customer service is bothersome. Best Bottom is indeed manufactured in the U.S. I will definitely look into buttons. Thank You!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

it sounds like the customer service wasn't great, I'll give you that. But I think if you were drying in the sunlight for 3 years before you had an issue that's not much of an issue. I don't have anything PUL that has lasted 3 years. I wouldn't throw in the "green" towel with cloth diapers because of one bad customer service rep.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-21-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
clotheguy
Registered Users

I would honestly say that we had sun dried 5 or less time, otherwise the are air dried on a drying rack in the house. Overall it was a horrible customer service experience, shame .....! Anyhow, Thanks for the positive attitude. We haven't given up on a greener life!

Last edited by Agla; 01-05-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I see how that would be disappointing but like others have said two years isn't so bad. That particular brand would not have been my choice for a diapering system I planned to use for multiple children.

I think getting replacement shellls from another company might be worth the investment instead of getting rid of inserts.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
guntersvillebride
Registered Users
seller

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am confused by this. When I first started researching cloth, one of the big pros was cost savings. And people went on and on about how much you would save if you used your diapers for more than one kid or sold them when finished. But on this thread everyone is saying that 2 years is not an unusual or bad lifespan for diapers. So which is true? Because if a normal lifespan is 2 years I will not be able to use my diapers for multiple children or resell them. So to me I would think that 2 years is not a "good" lifespan. I want and expect my diapers to make it through a couple kids, especially since I baby my diapers (and it sounds like OP did too).

ETA: 35 shells is a lot! With that many I doubt OP was washing any individual shell more than one time a week. And she was hanging to dry indoors 99% of the time.

Last edited by guntersvillebride; 01-05-2016 at 08:51 PM.
guntersvillebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

How often do you think you washed each shell? What kind of washer and what kind of detergent? I totally agree with pp's that 2 years out of a cover is about right BUT not when you have 35 covers in rotation. I would expect a set of 8-12 covers (what most people have in rotation at one time) to last about 2 years since they get used and washed several times a week. But 35 covers would only get used and washed maybe 3-4 times a month. It almost sounds like something damaged them while they were in storage.

Last edited by Melinda29; 01-05-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote