Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 AM   #21
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Started whole milk stomach problems! Help!

Well, for us raw milk works great. We prefer to call it REAL MILK. What happens to milk the way they process it now (this is just a vesy simplistic explanation to help understand) is that it breaks down the molecules so small, kind of like pushing it through a small sieve that those molecules get into our bloodstream and shouldn't. It is why a lot of people have a really hard time processing milk. Most people that don't do well on pasteurized milk do just fine on raw milk. Of course there is lots of scare mongering out there but it wouldn't hurt to do a bit of research on it. You can check out my blog if you want. It has a couple links. But here is the best link in case you don't feel like going there: www.realmilk.com

Goats milk is also an excellent choice. Personally, I'd avoid soy but that is a personal preference.

BTW, I didn't grow up drinking raw milk or anything. I grew up drinking 2% milk from grocery stores. I have been drinking raw milk for about 6 months and I love it.

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #22
Bobbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PP sounds like a sensitivity.Lila weaned right around her birthday(her choice not mine).So i put her on whole milk within 2 weeks she started the same stuff as LJ did when he weaned and changed over.So back to Rice dream we go.LJ loved it and Lila does to.Here is a link to the info on it.
http://www.tastethedream.com/products/category/202.php
Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #23
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I don't know...when my second daughter had a taste of milk around 10-11 months old (I gave her a bite of my breakfast cereal in milk) she broke out in tiny bumps on her back. I asked her ped about it but her ped said that if she was tolerating milk-based formula just fine (she was) then it wasn't milk that caused the bumps. You need to do whatever you think is right...she doesn't have to have milk. As it turned out, I guess the bumps on my daughter were a random occurence because she does tolerate (and loves) milk.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #24
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If she is sick and in pain stop the milk. She may not be lactose intolerant (and probably isn't since she's tolerating regular formula) but there are proteins in cow milk that are hard for people to digest. You could try switching her to a milk alternative. Goat's milk, rice milk, almond milk (be careful about nut allergies with this), soy milk (can have other issues and can be an allergen as well). Most come fortified. But my oldest doesn't drink milk, he drinks fortified orange juice. Just as much calcium and D as whole milk.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #25
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Personally I would just keep her on formula - soudns like she doesn't tolerate cow's milk! SS mama!
Old 07-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #26
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like either a dairy allergy or lactose intolerance, MORE like L.I. i am lactose intolerant (except when pregnant isnt THAT strange???) and i get painfully gassy and then have the runs hardcore when i eat foods high in lactose, like milk.
i would get a second peds opinion.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hempmilk, rice milk or almond milk?

as long as she is eating healthy foods, cows milk or a replacement are not necessary.
sublime.mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #28
Happy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenziesmommy0707 View Post
She was on normal formula..

Carnation Good start supreme with dha and ara or whatever:X

I haven't read all the responses, so sorry if I'm repeating.

BM is already very well broken down so it's easy to digest. Good Start formula has milk protein that is already partially broken down so it is easier to digest than formulas that aren't partially broken down. So it could be that she has a problem with digesting the whole protein.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #29
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you just go "straight" to cows milk? or did you slowly introduce it by stepping down her formula and adding her milk? say in a 4oz bottle give 3.5oz formula .5oz milk for a few days, then go down to 3oz of formula 1oz milk, Some babies do it quicker, but from what you have described, her body does not like the milk. The protiens in cows milk require our bodies to produce specific enzymes to break them down, we are not born with those enzymes, however, you can build them up by slowly introducing the milk. We had milk allergies with our younger two kiddos and had to go soy- and because we were on WIC only Soy formula was allowed to be given so DS2 was on Soy formula until he was 3.5 years old!! when we found out that Powdered milk he could tolerate in very small quantities. He is now 5 and can do okay with 2% or lower percentage milkfats but not a normal amount of these (so not the 20oz or so they suggest, we are talking 8oz max a day or he has trouble going potty as well as vomiting now but thank goodness the rashes and swelling of the airways is gone!)
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:13 AM   #30
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingprisms View Post
If she's in pain, you should stop. I don't understand why she has to drink milk?
Cow's milk isn't made for humans. If it hurts her, stop. Use an alternative & make up for lost vitamins in food. We're not doing cow's milk and DD won't accept any alternative that doesn't come out of my boob We give her lots of beans (kidney, canneloni, etc. which are high in calcium) and goat's yogurt w/ fruit in the morning.