Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Re: Labor Speed - How fast was your 1st vs 2nd, 3rd etc?

1st: induced with pitocin, 13 hours total labor and delivery, might have been faster if left to my own devices but I'll never know.

2nd: unassisted at home, just under 3 hours from first contraction to baby, water didn't break until baby was descending.

3rd: unassisted at home, just under 3 hours from first contraction to baby water broke when baby was crowning.

4th: unassisted at home, 6 hours from first contraction to baby, water broke when baby was crowning.

My theory on my last labor being so long (compared to the 2nd and 3rd labors) is that I *believe* she didn't have her chin tucked. This is just based on how it felt when she started coming down the birth canal, almost like she was turning a corner in there. She also had what looked like a (for lack of a better description) piercing scar on the upper cartilage of her ear, just a tiny divot in the skin covering the cartilage on the shell of her ear. I'm thinking it was an adhesion of some sort that kept her from wanting to tuck her chin, and it didn't break loose until she started descending.

Really, though, I have no idea why. Just that that last labor felt like FOREVER because I was expecting at most 3 hours, and it ended up twice that long.

Advertisement

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #32
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
1st 15 hours
2nd 6 hours
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #33
emerino
Registered Users

#1 - 12 hr labor, contractions started at 2 mins apart and stayed that way. 2 hrs pushing

#2 - was 5cm before labor, 6-7 hr labor, pushed a couple times

#3 - water broke 1 week early, was 1 or 2cm prior, 20 hr labor, had to give in to pitosin when I stalled at 6cm, was 10cm an hour later, pushed a couple times again
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #34
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS1 - 17 hours, pushed for 1 hr 5 mins.
DS2 - 10 hours, pushed for about 5 mins.
DS3 - 16 hours, pushed for 5-6 mins.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #35
isaacsmum
Registered Users

#1: Water broke spontaneously before any contractions. ~20hs from water breaking to DS's birth. Pushed for 1+ hrs or so (wasn't really paying attention to the time..)

#2: induction at 39wks. ~15hrs from hospital check-in to DD's birth. Only ~1.5hrs of that did it feel like I was in active labor. Baby was out in one and a half pushes.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #36
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

#1 - Water broke, no progression so they started pitocin. From water breaking to ready to push 24hrs. Pushed for about 10 min.

#2 - Water broke, no progression so they started pitocin. From water breaking to ready to push 12hrs. Pushed for about 10 min.

#3 - Induced with pitocin. From IV to ready to push 6hrs. Pushed twice.

#4 - Induced with pitocin. From IV to ready to push 3 1/2 hours. Didn't push, they kept telling my not to and my body did all the pushing. She was out in less than 5 min, her head was actually out as my OB came running in the room.

So basically all of my labors have cut themselves almost in 1/2 each time. I'm very interested to see how this one plays out. If she follows the pattern then I'm looking at about a 2 hour labor! I've never gone into labor on my own either so we'll see if that happens too.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My first was induced, supposedly 4 days late. They started the pitocin at 7:58 and she was born at 11:51. Of course, I asked for something to eat about an hour into my labor & they told me no food until the next regularly scheduled meal after delivery. I told them I would have her by lunchtime then, and they discovered I don't play around about my meals

My second... all along we were told we were having a girl. At my 36wk appointment he told me I was dilated to a 3. At 36wks6days we took DD to the Science Museum for her 3rd birthday weekend and I spent a good portion of the day carrying her. I felt a little crampy, but after 3 false alarms with my first I figuredit was nothing. Went in the next morning (Monday) for my 37wk appointment and the doc said "did you know you're in labor?" He wanted to break my water then, but it was the day before DD's birthday so I said no, let's wait til Friday. We agreed that we would meet at the hospital Friday morning for him to break my water if it hadn't gone naturally by then. I left the office and headed to Walmart to pick up the stuff DH & MiL would need while I was in the hospital. By the time I left Walmart my contractions were 5 minutes apart and getting ROUGH. Remembering the hungry labor with my first, I went home, dropped off the stuff, ate dinner and THEN headed to the hospital. By the time I got there around 6:30pm they were down to 3 mins apart, but not as intense, and the nurses said I was only dilated to a 4. After much debate with the nurses and a bunch of walking I was pronounced dilated to a 5 and allowed to stay. The Dr arrived at about 10, broke my water at 10:30, and the little monster was born at 10 minutes til 1 in the morning. RIGHT on HIS sister's 3rd birthday. In the same hospital room. With the same birth weight and length
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #38
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
First 8 hours
Second. 2.5 hours

I'm a little worried about the third.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #39
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1 - 36 hours, pushed for 3 hours (she had the cord wrapped around her legs and her hand by her face which kept her from coming out fully. I was given an episiotomy and she was born right away. I agree in that circumstance the episiotomy was necessary.)

2 - 6 hours, pushed for one contraction. Easy peasy.

3 - 2 hours 45 minutes, pushed for one or two contractions.

No inductions. Each time the dr broke my water partway through labour, fairly soon before they were born.

This time we're heading to the hospital as soon as a contraction hits
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #40
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My second was much faster than first...first contractions 8 pm sat that yr & no baby til sun night second was about same start but by 12:30 pm was here....
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote