Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Receptive Communication Delay?

My son started EI for a receptive and expressive speech delay almost 3 months ago. While we were waiting for his evaluation, this website was helpful. It has some suggestions you could try. You could ask his daycare provider to try some of the suggestions too. I agree that having his hearing checked is a good idea.

Since you asked for suggestions to try, here's some ideas.
I got my son to point at things by pointing at something myself first, saying the word and then helping him point (for example, he always looks at a tree in our yard when he's on his swing, so I pointed at the tree and said tree, then took his hand and pointed his finger at the tree and repeated "tree"). His speech therapist taught him "head" by doing the heads, shoulders, knees, toes song. He doesn't say head, but he knows what/where it is and will touch it when asked. Same for his nose and belly now too.
Another thing that was suggested was to sit in front of a mirror with my son and practice making sounds and moving lips, sticking out his tongue, etc. If you can get him making a sound, like the "B" sound, then try turning that into a word. So start out saying the "B" sound a few times and then add in something like ball, baby, boy, etc.
Also, talk a lot and about everything in a lot of detail. Try to be excited and exaggerate things. My son knows "wooooahhh!" and "weeeee!" now because I say it every time he does something fun. I probably sound like a nut to the neighbors, but it's helping DS
You can always have him re-evaluated. If you do, I would ask the therapist that does it to give you some suggestions for things you can try yourself to help him. Good luck

Advertisement

Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote