Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lets talk attachment disorder

Kristen, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. You are the "mom" in the household, so if you think of it as more of a title than actually being "her mom", it doesn't seem so bad. I guess I don't think a child should be told they can't call someone mom if that's what they want to do. JMO, of course.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lets talk attachment disorder

Well, my thoughts are that she has a real mom, who she sees regularly, and a foster mom, so in keeping with them trying to teach her appropriate boundaries, I should have just said that she should call me Kristen. But since she'd only been here a little bit, and I was a perfect stranger, I was trying to make her feel comfortable. I felt bad...all of their bio kids got to go to friends, but their foster kids had to go to a stranger. While I know there are worse things in life, sending a 6 month old to a stranger for 3 days is so unfair to him. The 5 year old adjusted better because I have a 5 year old, so she just fit right in. But the baby just cried for 3 days every time I put him down.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree that you are the mom if the house like the captain of a ship or something, like A said. But in terms of attachment everything kind of goes out the window. I dont think it was the wrong answer but there is more than one right answer. Its so complex.

Its really cool that your kiddo could bond with the respite kiddo! I'm sure he could really relate to her with the stranger thing, since your other kids dont get it, the older one anyway.