Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any absorbant materials that don't fray much?

I have a project in mind and I need an absorbant material. I'd rather not hem if I don't have too... so Iwas wondering if there is a non fraying option out there for anything absorbant?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-13-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any absorbant materials that don't fray much?

You mean for the undie part? Or the middle part? For the undie any sort of knit will do, although cotton lycra would be best. You could upcycle a tshirt. For the middle--most knits will not fray. Steer clear of birdseye, flannel, and cotton woven, but most other things will work. Cotton or bamboo fleece, cotton lycra, jersey, french terry, etc. For some of those you wouldn't need many layers at all but if you pick something less absorbent you will need more layers.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
You mean for the undie part? Or the middle part? For the undie any sort of knit will do, although cotton lycra would be best. You could upcycle a tshirt. For the middle--most knits will not fray. Steer clear of birdseye, flannel, and cotton woven, but most other things will work. Cotton or bamboo fleece, cotton lycra, jersey, french terry, etc. For some of those you wouldn't need many layers at all but if you pick something less absorbent you will need more layers.
At least initially I am going to try and transform existing undies. I'd rather not deal with elastics or sizing issues.

The plan is only 1 or 2 layers and they are only for spotting or cup leaking. Maybe a bamboo fleece? Is there one you can recommend?

I swear I had one picked when I originally posted but apparently it was from another post and I didn't take notes🙄
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-13-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's really just personal preference. Personally I'd choose cotton because it doesn't shrink as much as bamboo...but bamboo is softer and a bit more absorbent. So it's all about what you want, really.

One idea since you won't need a lot and will only need small pieces, you could do a remnant bag/bundle. Wazoodle has them (http://www.wazoodle.com/fabrics/seco...rics-4406.html) and I'm sure other places do too. Although if you are not sure exactly what you want, you might want to go to a store where you can touch and see what you think.

Honestly for the tester pair, since you aren't needing a lot of absorbency, I'd probably just use an old t-shirt. It's free, so you won't be out of anything if the design doesn't work or you decide you want to change something before cutting into pricier material. Or you might have a pair of lounge pants that are french terry that you don't use much. That would work well.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah for my first pair I was planning on using some flannel I already have. Just looking ahead.

I like the rement idea alot, the link you sent would be the poly fleece though right?

Is there such thing as a cotton fleece? True about the bamboo that might not stop shrinking. 😀
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes there is cotton fleece. http://www.wazoodle.com/organic-cotton-fleece.html I really didn't pay too much attention, I was thinking I linked cotton fleece remnants but maybe not, so definitely check before ordering!! Flannel will fray, just for the record. If you have a serger you could just serge the sides first. If you don't you can zigzag them.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yes there is cotton fleece. http://www.wazoodle.com/organic-cotton-fleece.html I really didn't pay too much attention, I was thinking I linked cotton fleece remnants but maybe not, so definitely check before ordering!! Flannel will fray, just for the record. If you have a serger you could just serge the sides first. If you don't you can zigzag them.
For my first few pairs I was going to use old undies and flannel. If I like the results enough I have already bought new undies to use and ill get these remnants (unless the flannel seems good enough I guess). Some days I wish I had got a serger, I just didn't know anything about sewing when I got my machine.

Thanks for all the information and links, very helpful!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-14-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Going in for the fabric purchase! So my trial pairs are going great, I love them! I couldn't find my extra fabric (which was right in front of me) on the day I went to make them, so I ended up using old wipes I made that were flannel and towel material. I'm geoing to length the pad I add a little but I don't notice the bulk and they help with leaks!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bummer! they are out of stock, guess I will be shopping around...