Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: June 2016: prenatal testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInGreen View Post
Thank you for sharing. Which ultrasound were they able to diagnose it? The 12 week or the 20 week?
They would have been able to at 12 but the place we are at now doesn't support that one. So my the time you do the first and second blood tests- which at latest have to be done by like 14 weeks- I was 16 weeks when I got the blood results back. Then had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

The maternal/fetal blood test (I'm doing the research now that I should have done 2 years ago), does not test for neural tube defects. Can you do both? I think based on this thread I will try to do both if I get the opportunity with #4. The certainty of the blood test is great for chromosomal issues, and you can know with relative certainty whether or not your baby has those issues without having to do anything invasive, which I like. But sounds like it doesn't cover all the bases.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

I got to ask many questions today at a consultation! From a very knowledgable genetics person I was told this for my age:
I can still get the nural tube defect testing in the second trimester even if I don't do the first trimester statistics blood test. Specifically they'd check the AFP, not the full statistical analysis. The NT scan is recommended. The free cell dna test is recommended bc it is more precise (aka MaternaT21).

Info for other mamas getting the FC-DNA test: it's picking up placental cells from moms blood. They're fragmented placental cells that a machine basically puts back together into their DNA sequence. The completed puzzle is the result- which is a screening. Since they're not exact fetal whole cells- there's of course a risk of error. But bc most of the time the placenta and the fetus are the exact same genetic material, it's very accurate.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
They would have been able to at 12 but the place we are at now doesn't support that one. So my the time you do the first and second blood tests- which at latest have to be done by like 14 weeks- I was 16 weeks when I got the blood results back. Then had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks.
Thank you for sharing this. I see it's still quite fresh and I appreciate your willingness to share. I'm sorry about Jeremiah. Hugs.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info - super helpful.

Good luck with your testing