Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Abnormal Pap After LEEP??

I just found out that the Pap I had last week came back moderate dysplasia (CIN II). I had the LEEP procedure done in October 08, the margins were clear. (I had CIN III before the LEEP) This was my second Pap since the LEEP, the first one came back normal, now this Should I be worried? I haven't talked to the Dr yet, I spoke with his nurse today and she's going to call me back tomorrow after she talks with him. I'm young (23) and only have one child. I want lots more babies in the future, so hopefully this won't leave me unable to have more. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
rahhlady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Abnormal Pap After LEEP??

I also have moderate dysplasia due to HPV. There are ways they can take care of it without you losing your fertility, plus the cells take a LONG time to turn to cancer. Like 10 years. So you have time to have a few more kids before you are in horrible rick. Not to mention, sometimes it goes away on it's own, as well. i got back to the OB next week to have another pap, I am hoping it's gone.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I'm thinking he'll want to do a repeat Pap in 3 months! I'm praying that it goes away. Are there serious risks of losing fertility if you had to have a second LEEP? I'm single, so it'll likely be 3-4 years before TTC again.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Carkington2
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't worry mamma...it's hard not to, though. I had a LEEP 9 yrs ago, and Laser abilation 7 yrs ago. Both for CIN 3. I have a 5 yr old and a 1 yr old. I still get bad paps....blagh. But stay on top of it, and your chances of the big "C" are next to zilch. I work in oncology myself. Fertility isn't generally an issue...yes it does weaken your cervix, so they actually do more ultrasounds on you during pregnancy, or may throw in a stitch if you need it. I didn't need either...just be dillagent.

Last edited by Carkington2; 08-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Carkington2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Carkington2
Registered Users
seller
seller

Repeated Leeps are not a good thing, in general..that's why I was directed to laser abilation to take care of it the second time (to preserve my fertility more than a repeated leep would). On a side note...I actually scared myself into having my son while single.....due to fear of possibly not being able to concieve, I probably would have waited until married, etc....if it weren't for the LEEP. But, hey...you mess with my fertility chances...and I'll show you!! (my beautiful son) Good things come out of bad situations sometimes....

Last edited by Carkington2; 08-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carkington2 View Post
Repeated Leeps are not a good thing, in general..that's why I was directed to laser abilation to take care of it the second time (to preserve my fertility more than a repeated leep would). On a side note...I actually scared myself into having my son while single.....due to fear of possibly not being able to concieve, I probably would have waited until married, etc....if it weren't for the LEEP. But, hey...you mess with my fertility chances...and I'll show you!! (my beautiful son) Good things come out of bad situations sometimes....
Thanks mama! You did make me feel a little better. I spoke with the nurse again today and she said that the dr wants to do another biopsy (culpo). The first one was very painful for me (and I handle pain very well). So is this standard procedure? Or should I wait and do a repeat Pap a few months from now before going ahead with the culpo?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
Carkington2
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Thanks mama! You did make me feel a little better. I spoke with the nurse again today and she said that the dr wants to do another biopsy (culpo). The first one was very painful for me (and I handle pain very well). So is this standard procedure? Or should I wait and do a repeat Pap a few months from now before going ahead with the culpo?
Verey standard. Sometimes on the colpo, after they spray the vinegar, they won't even see any (white) spots worth taking a biopsy. For me, I always feel better after a colpo....because I know there is nothing there. (I actually want them) Whereas, the pathologists take on a papsmear is to err on the side of caution, and usually say there are a bunch of 'off' cells..."can not rule out high grade"...but how much & if it's through all the layers ?(which determines what staging it is) We don't know. Your doc should ask you to cough (should you need them) when he's taking the pinch biopsies. It really helps. I have had 4 docs do them for me so far.....three knew about that, the last guy didn't.....I had to tell HIM that it works wonders. The ECC (endocervical curitage, which they should do as well...ask if they are doing one) Scrapes the inner wall of the cervix, and a little into the uterus. That one hurts...like hard cramping & nothing I can recommend for that. Other than it's over pretty quickly.
You'll be ok mamma, it's far more common than you think. 80% of single women have had HPV that causes these cervical probs at some point in their lives, and it usually clears up on it's own...for us unlucky others....we deal with it, and monitor it, and have tons of pap smears. In this day & age, with all the careful monitoring....no one should die of cervical cancer. Only those who have my problem, and don't see a doctor for 10 years or so after that (doing absoloutly nothing) get that. The rates in third world countries are so high due to the lack of medical care 9 (very unfortunate)....in the US...extreemly low.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dont worry Momma I had abnoral pap for 2 years and had cyrosurgery done twice and tons of biopsys this last June Dr. said if still abnormal we were going to do Leep and then finally I had a normal pap I go back in Dec to make sure its still okay and Im praying it will be. I just want to say that I had ds#2 even after I knew I had an abnormal pap the DR. actually did cyrosurgery when I was a few weeks prego and I did not know... There is hope and things will get better.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
riing
Banned

There are ways they can take care of it without you losing your fertility, plus the cells take a LONG time to turn to cancer. Like 10 years. So you have time to have a few more kids before you are in horrible rick. Not to mention, sometimes it goes away on it's own, as well.

Larry Fitzgerald Jersey,Ray Rice Jersey

Last edited by riing; 08-26-2010 at 12:27 AM.
riing is offline   Reply With Quote