Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Props to MIL, first CD experience!

First off, I love my MIL and I realize that might put me in the minority. She is a study in contrasts because although she has been using unpaper towels since before they were cool, and eating organically since before it was cool, she is completely baffled by our cloth diapers Although she's never made an outright negative comment, and when we visit them she has said we can wash diapers in her washer, she has made it clear that she thinks we're nuts.

So she watched DD for a few hours while DH and I had date night (awwwww). She goes to sleep pretty early so I put her in a night dipe (Flip, thirsties hemp pf, hemp doubler, fleece liner) and pj's, nursed her, and we scooted out the door. I said, she almost never needs changing at night, only if you realize that she's poopy or if she's leaking - which has never happened with a Flip - should you need to change her. Here is a sposie, just stick that on until we get back. I truly thought she would not need a change.

So of course this is the one night in months that she pooped. MIL changed her into the sposie and dunked and swished the poopy prefold in the toilet! I don't even do that She apologized for not getting all the poopy 100% off, and mentioned that while I pointed out the lonely sposie on the changing table... I did not tell her what to do with the poopy Flip. Oops. But she rose to the occasion...

I just figured, we rant so much about DH's and IL's and etc who don't get it, I wanted to give a shout out to my dear MIL who doesn't get it but tried her darndest!

Advertisement

DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
JamesWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Props to MIL, first CD experience!

so sweet! I love my MIL too and she wasn't too sure about the whole Cding thing at first. She had bad experiences with my husband getting horrible rashes but she is totally behind it now. She can change a cd with the best of them.

eta to fix a run on sentence. WHY am I so prone to them??
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's so awesome! I keep a pre-stuffed snapping pocket dipe in the diaper bag along w/ a sposie for the church nursery on Sundays but I always change him just before I leave him and they haven't had to change him, yet.
Hubby and I are having our 1st datenight since ds was born (8.5 months ago) on my upcoming b-day!
We will be leaving him w/ very dear friends. They've already seen his cloth wipes bc I keep a small container of them pre-dampened in the dipe bag and use them for EVERYTHING and just toss them in the wetbag. I will be showing them how to use my cloth diapers but I'm also sending a sposie just in case. I've already told them that they can just toss everything into the wetbag for me to clean later.... no need to clean or rinse anything. Even though I rinse my poopy's at home immediately, I'd never expect that of someone else. I want to encourage them to be adventerous.... give the cds a try and if you have a hard time getting the cloth diaper on him, you can always resort to the sposie. DS is fairly patient during changes bc he likes to be clean and it's not like he pees the minute he's naked either.... he mostly likes to reach for "it" and see what it's all about.

Last edited by Servant4Christ; 09-01-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
sailinthesun
Registered Users

My MIL is awesome too! She used CDs for her kids the old school way so she thinks ours (flip system) are amazing.

That says a lot about her respect for you that she tried so hard!
sailinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

My mil insisted we were not going to like cloth, and she was right, we love it!

She watched ds for the short time I was at work when he was a nb. She was familiar with old cd, and had no problems using them, and was surprised at their ease! I sent her bg 4.0. I only worked part time, so I told her not to worry about the poop, since he was just getting bf, it came out pretty easily. A few times she took some excess poop off the diaper.

Funny story about my mom w/ cloth. She watched ds one night and admitted the diaper was not "very good" our night time is a snappi'd pf w/ a smaller pf as a doubler. She said she had a hard time, and he might wake up leaking through. I said I'm sure it's fine. In the am i found the pf sticking like 2 inches out of the top of the cover, lol. We sized up to mediums and they were a bit big still.
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is sweet. My MIL used prefolds and covers on her kids, so I thought she'd be able to change DS into the BG AIOs I left on the changing pad for her. Instead, the first time she changed DS's diaper, she rummaged through his drawers and found a medium Thirsties cover (DS was only 5 weeks old at this point) and a burp cloth (about a 10" x 10" single layer of fabric) and rigged him up in that. Most ridiculous thing I've evveeer seen, hands down.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote