Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Adoption and bio family involvement

DH have discussed it many times but I'd love to hear what you do and how it works for you! (Our adoption is not final, we are just discussing what would be best in our situation.)

Things I'd love to know if you don't mind sharing--what type of adoption, who (if anyone) you remain in contact with from bio family, what type of contact, and how frequently. Are bio family members respectful of the adoption and your parenting styles/descions?

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
Fosteringaprincess
Registered Users

Re: Adoption and bio family involvement

We have adopted and are very close with a bio uncle. We text many times a week. We also have visits with him Everytime he's in town! We will also be involved with a sibling or two. I'm so thankful we have some bio family for her to connect with. We also allow bio mom pictures and a written update twice a year, but choose to have no other contact with her. I know many adopted people and all have had questions about their bio family at some point... So I'm thankful that when she's old enough to understand and want answers I have some things to tell her.
Fosteringaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Fosteringaprincess
Registered Users

Ohhh and yes he is 100% respectful of our decisions.
Fosteringaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Futurefam
Registered Users

Yes we have some bio family involvement on one side. They reached out to us and we established a trusting relationship. We share updates, pictures and visit once or twice a year. They are fully respectful of our privacy not to share his changed last name or location with bios. When it came down to it, they just wanted to be uncle, aunt and grandma without any hidden agenda.

We also send bios pictures and general updates a couple times a year via e-mail and mail to state corrections prison without a valid return addy and on a first name basis. They respond by mail to the local DCF agency. They are also thankful and respectful to us...now. This kind of trust didn't happen overnight with the bios. They were of course super upset the first year with their loss. Now that things have calmed down they are civil to us.
Past: 9 children that have moved on...
Futurefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #5
love2teachem
Registered Users

Our adoption isn't final, and we are adopting through foster care. I was very close with the bio mom when reunification was our goal. She made some bad decisions and she is no longer a part of our lives. The state actually told us that if we kept her in the picture that our adoption might not go through because she was considered a danger to the child. The state said if she should be in our little guy's life then reunification would still be the goal. I am glad that our case manager made the difficult decision for us because we were feeling like the bio mom thought that we were going to co-parent with her. She wanted to do all of the fun things but not give up her lifestyle. We have decided to send her pictures through our case manager if she asks for them. She will never be out of our Lives completely and I really hope that she gets clean so that as our little one gets older and has questions about her she will be able to form a relationship with him again. I would love to have her in his life but I just can't allow her to be a part of it until she is healthy. I've also read a lot of books about it and it sounds like at this young age having a bio parent in the picture can be really confusing for the kids. Because we are foster parents, the only time of adoption that is allowed in our state is closed. What we decide after the adoption is final is our decision, though.
love2teachem is offline   Reply With Quote