Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Talking Paleo/Primal diet and lifestyle Support Thread

I've been feeling led to take the paleo plunge for a while now, and I'm finally ready to start! I've been doing lot's of research on it, and realize it's really a lifestyle change, over a diet. I do want to lose around 25lbs, but even more importantly I want to have energy (I'm so sick of being tired/worn out all the time!), and long term good health

What I'm doing-
-cutting out grains
-cutting out sugars, except for fruit, and right now I'm going to keep eating some condiments which may have sugar in them-but I'm going to slowly wean off of them over the next few weeks
-limit my dairy to locally made cheese and butter
-walk at least a mile a day, on top of regular walking. I want to get this up to two+ miles soon
-start a weight lifting regiment-starting with five pound weights
-only drink water, and once in a while tea. NO MORE SODA!!!
-be consistent with taking vitamin D-I'm on doctor's orders to take this already, because my level is so low, so I'm taking 5,000 D3 now-but I forget to take it every day.

What my diet will focus on-lots of locally raised meats and eggs, and then local vegetables, fruit, and cheese in moderation

I've got Primal Blueprint on order, and I've been spending as much time as I can on Mark's website/forum learning

So-anyone else follow the primal/paleo lifestyle? Or would you like to join me and we can do it together

Advertisement


Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 06-28-2011 at 07:16 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
photocat's Avatar
photocat
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,539
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

I'm doing this too, I have un-needed baby weight to lose after a stillbirth. Need to get my body and hormones back on track.

Like you, I haven't cut out all dairy either, cheese and butter are still in. Sugar is out, grains are out, I drink water and herbal/green tea, am doing lots of walking but no weights - haven't reached my 6 week pp check up yet so will wait on that to add weights. I do use honey and coconut oil (can't remember where/if that fits in paleo, think it does) and the odd bit of dark choc. I make these with honey and sometimes raspberry essence.

One thing I've noticed is I don't get that afternoon slump any more. And the weight is coming off, about .5 kg/just over 1 lb a week. I have about 6 kg/approx 13 lbs to go.
__________________
Mum to 3 boys, Hunter '05, Rowan '08 and Lightning, stillborn 2011

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
hokoonchi's Avatar
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,679
My Mood:
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

I'm going to try it too. Just looked at the foods list, and it seems doable. I definitely need to cut out starches and grains as I am certainly "addicted" to them.

photocat, I read your recent blog post and ... hope you are doing okay.
__________________
Camilla. Mom to Sam (9.13.10) and partner to Eric (6.16.07). Currently living the best years of my life. Focusing on health in 2012.
hokoonchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
sahmofthree's Avatar
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,422
My Mood:
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

I'm in! Like everyone else I need to lose around 25 lbs but more importantly I've had some health issues lately that the doctor can't seem to figure out, so I'm going to chalk it up to my diet. Headaches, extreme fatigue, horrible skin breakouts/rashes...life's been pretty rough for about the past 6 months so I need to stick with this!

I'm going to go as paleo as I can. Just fruit, veggies, bit of butter, very limited cheese, spices/seasonings, meat, olive oil and coconut oil. I'm going to try it on my own for the first few days but I'm looking at maybe buying this cookbook or the Everyday Paleo book. Unfortunately I can't afford to switch to all natural local raised meat/produce, but hopefully in the future. I'm also going to try to slowly stop re-buying non-paleo stuff and buying more and more fruits and veggies to wean my kids onto the diet as well. I have a 2.5 yr old that I suspect has something like ADHD, so I'm hoping maybe removing some of the bad foods might help improve his behavior as well.

Oh, and so far so good today! No coffee (but I have a bad bad headache for it!!) and I had some lemon water with a 4 egg-white spinach/mushroom/tomato omelette for breakfast!
__________________
Amanda, wife to my best friend, mama to 4 crazy kids.
Want free Amazon giftcards? Sign up for SWAGBUCKS
sahmofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmofthree View Post
I'm in! Like everyone else I need to lose around 25 lbs but more importantly I've had some health issues lately that the doctor can't seem to figure out, so I'm going to chalk it up to my diet. Headaches, extreme fatigue, horrible skin breakouts/rashes...life's been pretty rough for about the past 6 months so I need to stick with this!

I'm going to go as paleo as I can. Just fruit, veggies, bit of butter, very limited cheese, spices/seasonings, meat, olive oil and coconut oil. I'm going to try it on my own for the first few days but I'm looking at maybe buying this cookbook or the Everyday Paleo book. Unfortunately I can't afford to switch to all natural local raised meat/produce, but hopefully in the future. I'm also going to try to slowly stop re-buying non-paleo stuff and buying more and more fruits and veggies to wean my kids onto the diet as well. I have a 2.5 yr old that I suspect has something like ADHD, so I'm hoping maybe removing some of the bad foods might help improve his behavior as well.

Oh, and so far so good today! No coffee (but I have a bad bad headache for it!!) and I had some lemon water with a 4 egg-white spinach/mushroom/tomato omelette for breakfast!
I went to the zoo this morning with my sister, and it took all my restraint to not knock her over and steal her can of Dr. Pepper I'm not a coffee drinker, but the soda has crept back in big time! I'm going to look getting some tea-so I still get a bit of caffeine, but not the sugar. Baby steps right If there's enough of us interested, I can turn this into an ongoing support thread for us who are following the paleo/primal diet and lifestyle
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
JackieLyn's Avatar
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wherever the Army sends us
Posts: 2,583
My Mood:
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

I love eating Paleo...it's fun to see what favorites you can make using paleo ingredients.
Spaghetti and meatballs (spaghetti squash is amazing!) is something that comes to mind. I can make gravy with pan drippings, arrowroot powder is paleo and makes an awesome thickening agent. One tip is to pick one day a week and make a bunch of paleo snacks and put them in the fridge so when your hungry something is already made. I know I like convenience Meatballs are huge in my house.
http://www.paleofood.com is a website I find recipes on.
__________________
Jackie,
Mom to Corbin Reid and Faith
JackieLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn View Post
I love eating Paleo...it's fun to see what favorites you can make using paleo ingredients.
Spaghetti and meatballs (spaghetti squash is amazing!) is something that comes to mind. I can make gravy with pan drippings, arrowroot powder is paleo and makes an awesome thickening agent. One tip is to pick one day a week and make a bunch of paleo snacks and put them in the fridge so when your hungry something is already made. I know I like convenience Meatballs are huge in my house.
http://www.paleofood.com is a website I find recipes on.
thanks for the link! I'm bookmarking it

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 06-27-2011 at 05:06 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
charisma3458's Avatar
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
My Mood:
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

I'm going to start. I need to cut out grains, I don't each much dairy or cheeses, I'm a horrible late-night microwave dinner person, I need to order some more grass-fed beef but I have to dig the deep freezer out from under moving boxes, I stopped drinking soda (Coke) a few weeks ago already, on the other hand I've developed a craving for frappuccinos and I drink them almost daily. DD1 and I have been making green smoothies every day now (1 organic banana, frozen organic spinach, and strawberries). You cannot even taste the spinach and DD1 even loves drinking it. I'm hoping to be switched over and have everything down pat with recipes and meals so that by the time DH comes back he won't mind switching too. I think he'll be fine because he's a huge meat eater and doesn't eat much sugar stuff anyways. I'm going to look for some recipes and books because I really need a step-by-step menu in order to keep myself on track.
__________________
Wife to Khris, mom to Claire Elizabeth and Lydia
I've earned $411.31 cash back with EBATES!
WOOL DESTASH (GIRLY AND BOYISH) / / YARN DESTASH
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
photocat's Avatar
photocat
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,539
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoonchi View Post
I'm going to try it too. Just looked at the foods list, and it seems doable. I definitely need to cut out starches and grains as I am certainly "addicted" to them.

photocat, I read your recent blog post and ... hope you are doing okay.
Thanks, we are managing to muddle along. Feeling good about what I'm eating is helping...I would love to just sit on the couch and eat cake, but I know I'd feel even more dreadful after that. So this is helping on a few levels.

Everyday paleo has a lot of recipes. I think that link goes to breakfast, but there are other categories.

Sara, have you tried making/drinking water kefir, to replace soda? But yeah, if you need the caffeine, then tea or green tea may be the way to go.
__________________
Mum to 3 boys, Hunter '05, Rowan '08 and Lightning, stillborn 2011

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,478
Re: Going paleo-anyone want to join me?

I am going to give it a try. But I will be tackling it slowly. Currently, my main diet consists of non-Paleo food, so it isn't going to be easy and I think I need to tackle one thing at a time. My goal this week is to cut out refined grains....breads, crackers, granola bars, etc etc etc, Wish me luck (I didn't fare well today)
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.