Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you manage toys?

Here's the rest. We have a couple of dolls that are away right now. (We fought lice recently). They don't need much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457553140189.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	183506  

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
LuBird
Registered Users

One idea is you can put the toys into rotation. Basically box up some that are still in good condition and put them away for a while. Then bring them out every few months or so and put the others away. It keeps children entertained usually because to them it's like they get new toys every few months, but really you're just cycling through them.

We've got a system where every few months (except during 'gift months' ie birthdays or Christmas, those get a larger purging) I go through and purge basically broken toys or stuff my daughter has out grown. Other things she's played with before but hasn't touched much recently gets put into a box and stashed away until next rotation. Everything salvageable but not going to be kept around gets donated. It limits the clutter in her room and it saves on buying new toys all the time.

As for cleaning up, unless it's something specific like blocks, books or toy kitchen stuff, we have two plastic toy boxes we put everything into (one for toys in her room and one for toys she can keep in the living room). For us it's easier than having her try to decipher numerous different toys into specific places. When she's older we'll go into a more broken down form of organization but for now, two places all her toys go is easiest when cleaning up.

For your daughter, maybe you could put away new gifts from family until rotation, and then ask her if she can help you purge through some of her older stuff to get a new toy. Or keep the new stuff away and then offer them as a reward for taking care of her things/helping with chores or clean up. Usually when birthdays or Christmas comes up with my daughter, I pay attention to the toys she immediately wants to tear into and let her open those while the others get put away for a little while. I've noticed she gets overwhelmed with so many 'new' things that she doesn't usually play with it all and most wastes away in the bottom of the toy bin. If I hide things away she completely forgets she ever received them, and then when we do pull them out her face lights up and she gets so excited again. It could help if you do something like this for your daughter, so she isn't just going through each new thing before it's 'life cycle' is up.

Just some ideas. Hope you find some help here from everyone.
LuBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a container for each toy type, a shelf for puzzles/games/large toys and each LO has a shelf for special items. Stuffed animals are kept on their beds. The toy bins are Lego, cars/tracks, play food, dress up/dolls, action figures/animals, blocks- both wooden and magnetic and nerf guns.
Honestly the best advice I took was to not hold onto toys because I thought my kids should like them or because I spent good money on it. I've also found ways of asking for toy alternatives and I try to give my kids 'experience' gifts instead of toys. I make sure to involve my kids with choosing but when they were younger, I'd go through their things without them too.
The Scientist (9) & The Entertainer (6)
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #14
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
Donate often. This is nearly everything for three.
This is awesome. My dream!

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
bbammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
ashbartlett
Registered Users
seller

Just sell whatever isn't in their age group and really just downsize. Kids do not need a lot of toys (says the mom with kids who have a stupid number of toys) so whenever I sell them I notice that my kids do NOT miss them!
ashbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #16
ashbartlett
Registered Users
seller

But I love these container ideas! I am about to have a garage sale and these ideas will help me decide what to sell and keep
ashbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:05 AM   #17
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

We've been overwhelmed w/ toys recently, too. DD is 6, but takes out a bunch of toys and uses them together. She also is the queen of crafts around here and converts neatly stored supplies into creations that we can't part w/ bc she made them. They're cute, clever and really show that she knows how to use her creativity, but it's overwhelming. I'm thinking of boxing most of the toys for the attic as we've been too lax w/ rotation. I miss the days of getting rid of stuff left and right and her never remembering them.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #18
abh5e8
Registered Users

Sigh. We have too many. I try to limit to what fits in our Ikea calyx boxes (duplos, trains, magnet blocks, kinex, cars, people/furniture, remote control cars, doll clothes, food) plus games, puzzles and Legos in the basement. Few dolls, stuffies in their rooms. It's still too much, but it's all quality, open ended play toys that family gave us and it all fits in the space we have. We purge a lot, donate a lot and we have five kids. We homeschool, so we are home a lot and the toys get played with a lot. Or so that is how I justify it.

There are certainly times I wish we had less.

For the crafts, I take a lot of pictures. Then I put them into photo books. They love to look at those. I put the newer photos to cycle through on my screen saver on my computer until I have enough for a book.

Last edited by abh5e8; 08-31-2016 at 07:49 AM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

The wear takes care of that problem---->garbage!
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #20
joyfulgirl_3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbartlett View Post
But I love these container ideas! I am about to have a garage sale and these ideas will help me decide what to sell and keep
Ikea's Trofast systems are really nice for kids room. I like this size:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19102659/

You can mix up the color/sizes of the shelves.

I got mine off Craiglist. I search Baby and Kids, furniture, and moving sale sights! Even very littles can clean up their rooms with this system.

Amy
joyfulgirl_3 is offline   Reply With Quote