Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Sisbear04
Registered Users

Toy Purge Questions

We are expecting a new little one in January and need to make room for baby. I feel like toys have taken over our home. My son will be 7 in a couple of weeks. Any idea on helping us help him get rid of some toys. He has way more stuff than he could ever play with. I want to keep some of his toys obviously but would love more room for us to be a family and play together. Also, toy storage systems to keep things up off the floor. What works good for your family. I am new to minimalist but would really love to declutter our stuff and simplify things in general house wide. Thank you in advanced for any tips or suggestions.

Advertisement

Sisbear04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toy Purge Questions

We always do a big purge before Christmas and around the begining of summer then a few here and there throughout the year. I think it's helpful for my oldest (12) to purge things around Christmas because it's his way of giving kids gifts that don't get anything for Christmas by getting rid of his toys that are just collecting dust. We started this when he was 8 or 9. It's gotten easier through the years because he has less stuff now so the purges aren't always huge any more but those first few were.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^ We are similar. We do regularly scheduled purges before Christmas and birthdays, then we also tend to sort things when we switch out seasonal clothing or any other time stuff starts to take over.

Right now most of the kids are pretty good about sorting out what they don't use, but when they needed a little encouragement we talked about how we were donating things they didn't use anymore to others that may need them.

If things are really bad and there is quite a but of stuff he would never miss, I might purge some of that out before he gets involved.

Another strategy is something like a toy in/a toy out rule--or since you are wanting to cut down you could go 1 in/3 out or something. This would take quite a bit longer to weed stuff out though.

I would also let him see you willing to give--sort your clothing or hobbies or whatever else you might need to purge--IMO kids are best taught by example.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

And if it's too hard to get rid of them, try just putting some "away" for a while. It's nice to just hide toys for a few months and then be able to bring them out later. He might find them more interesting, and if not, he might be ready to donate them then. I keep toys hidden away for waiting rooms, travel, rainy days, etc that he forgot he had, so when I get them out they entertain him better
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
abh5e8
Registered Users

With that age gap, I would pack up a few favorites for each age range. Ds may feel better knowing some of the toys will be enjoyed layer on by a new sibling.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have a hard time too knowing a little one is coming through soon. I've never been good at the toy rotation but if you have the space I know it would be a great idea. Sometimes I just take something off the shelf that hasn't come out in a while / pushed back -- it always get a little play and sometimes it takes off and becomes a favorite again for a few days.

My son is also 7 and it actually gets tougher.. he will ask where something is and sometimes I can pull it out of a closet and sometimes I have to tell him I got rid of it. I think I need to start including him in purges but I know it will mean less stuff will go.

Taking something out that hasn't been used in a while and seeing if it gets more than 10m of attention would be a good indication that it's time to go... maybe ask at that time if they are ready to let it go.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do a toy in/toy out rule.

I know it helps some kids when you explain toys are going to be donated to children who would really enjoy them.

Another thing is to sell them and have him start building an account.

I think it might be a hard adjustment since he's 7 but he is old enough to understand a conversation about having too much when others have little or nothing.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I would have a hard time too knowing a little one is coming through soon. I've never been good at the toy rotation but if you have the space I know it would be a great idea. Sometimes I just take something off the shelf that hasn't come out in a while / pushed back -- it always get a little play and sometimes it takes off and becomes a favorite again for a few days.

My son is also 7 and it actually gets tougher.. he will ask where something is and sometimes I can pull it out of a closet and sometimes I have to tell him I got rid of it. I think I need to start including him in purges but I know it will mean less stuff will go.

Taking something out that hasn't been used in a while and seeing if it gets more than 10m of attention would be a good indication that it's time to go... maybe ask at that time if they are ready to let it go.
You might be surprised, there have been several times when my kids are willing to get rid of more than I was planning.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
You might be surprised, there have been several times when my kids are willing to get rid of more than I was planning.
I agree. Sometimes I'm more attached to the stuff than they are.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The worst is when you know yourself or someone else spent a lot of money on something and they are just like yeah get rid of it when they've barely even played with it.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote