Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Angles on infant carseat

I'm sure I heard this somewhere but I can't find anything on the internet.

Someone told me I could change the recline of my DD's seat. I have a Graco SafeSeat 1, with the base that stays in the car. I have the foot adjusted exactly how the car seat tech set it while I was still pregnant. The angle reader on the actual seat is perfectly in the right color (blue, no orange showing).
Someone said that since my DD is 7 months old, I could adjust the seat, but #1 I don't know if that is true, or if it always has to be at a 45 degree angle. #2 I don't know what way to adjust it.

It would be nice if I could angle it differently, as my car is quite small and the seat ONLY fits in the middle seat on our back bench, and it sticks out into the space between our 2 front seats (DH and I have long legs can't move the seats up) plus DD might be able to actually see out the window if it was angled up.

No flames please if I"m wrong... just let me know. I can only see info about the 45 degree angle, but that seems more for young infants who have no head/neck control?

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller

My Mood:
Re: Angles on infant carseat

It only has to be reclined UP TO 45 degrees. It's fine to have it a bit more upright as she get older!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

7mo is too young for the lesser angle. I think it is 18mo? maybe 12?
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
7mo is too young for the lesser angle. I think it is 18mo? maybe 12?
That's not true, as the pp (car seat tech) also confirmed. She's old enough -- it is actually safER as they're able to hold their heads up -- the 45 is really for a newborn who can't hold up their head, as per techs on car-seat.org forums -- after that you can slowly change the incline as they're comfortable with.

I believe the angle you can have it UP TO is 30. I highly doubt you'd accidentally install it at a higher angle anyway

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)

Last edited by ThatLinGirl; 06-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I believe you will have to uninstall it to change the angle, but yes, you can change it. As long as she can hold her head upright she can be less reclined.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Ok you can give me #'s all you want but where am I measuring from
45 degrees is easy.. it's 45 from the seat and 45 from the top, KWIM?
a 30 degree angle would be putting the foot of the base out less, moving the top of the seat farther up towards the back seat right? A lesser recline... nevermind DUH!

I think I might run out, take a picture of it now, adjust it, and take a pic and get comments? I'm not taking DD out anywhere tonight anyway... BRB
Nevermind... DH is taking the car for an errand... will fiddle with it when he gets back.

Last edited by katesmash; 06-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.
katesmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First, she is plenty old enough for less of a recline than 45 degrees. There is no set age to put the seat more upright. It all depends on the child. Some children like more of a recline for longer, others not so much. Readjusting the Safeseat is easy. Uninstall the base by unhooking the LATCH straps or unbuckling the seatbelts, depending on how it is installed. If with a seatbelt, unlock the red lock off by pushing the red button. Now, turn the knob on the base. This will move the red "foot" up into the base, thus making the seat less reclined. It would be nearly impossible to get an infant seat more upright than 30 degrees. Convertibles, yes. Infant seats, no. It should be fine with the fooot all the way up. Also, the level indicators on car seats are not good for much unless the car is sitting perfectly level. I have seen seats that are supposedly "correctly" reclined that are WAY to upright.