Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
RFing Britax and Graco snugride possible in Sub Outback?

I'm having a baby in 6 weeks. I'm stressed about the carseat arrangement. My son is 26#, 20 months in a Britax Decathalon, RFing, center seat. We have a 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon, with latch only on the outboard seats, NOT center. Does anyone know if we can fit a Snugride in one of those seats as well? If we have to move them both to the outboard seats, he'll have to turn FFing, unless we don't plan on using the front passenger seat. (umm, yea, I'm not sitting in the trunk - think enormous projectile).

We will have it professionally installed on the 21st but I want to know if anyone might know before hand. I'm fairly adament about my son being RFing until he outgrows the weight on the seat, and buying a bigger car is not an option right now. Thanks so much for your help!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: RFing Britax and Graco snugride possible in Sub Outback?

I'm not very familiar with your car but here's my Have you tried your ds outboard with it more upright? My dh is 6'2" and he can fit in the passenger seat of my Dodge Caliber with a RF Marathon behind it. We keep her seat between 35 and 40 degrees reclined normally. As for fitting the two seats next to each other, I think your best bet would just be to try it and see if if it works. I obviously wouldn't reccomend turning him ff yet, which it sounds like you don't want to do anyways Good luck!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Put them both outboard and install your sons seat more upright. Up to 30degrees. No need to turn FFing and you will have plenty of room up front!

The Snugride should fit fine.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I didn't know he could be more upright. He's pretty reclined now, I didn't know how much he could be "wedged" in between the front seat. I can move it forward some. Would the seat use the Latch then I'm assuming?

I'm clueless when it comes to carseats, which is why I always take it to get done professionally..., thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
brooklynn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnegansMom View Post
I guess I didn't know he could be more upright. He's pretty reclined now, I didn't know how much he could be "wedged" in between the front seat. I can move it forward some. Would the seat use the Latch then I'm assuming?

I'm clueless when it comes to carseats, which is why I always take it to get done professionally..., thanks!
Britax allows for the carseat to touch the passenger's/driver's seat. And you don't HAVE to use LATCH if you install outboard. Neither is safer than the other (LATCH is intended to be easier/quicker), so use whichever one you get the best installation with.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

WHen you install either using the LATCH or seatbelt push down on where his feet go and you will see the car seat will be more upright.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would use the LATCH, as it is probably easier, but the seatbelt is safe, too. I can get a Radian in my car upright enough that I can have my seat all the way back. I mention this because, although you don't have a Radian, it's pretty much the most reclined seat out there, but with some fiddeling I can get it about 35 degrees. I can put a Marathon behind me or behind the passenger seat, which I have all the way back and slight reclined, with no readjustment. I think you can definately put him outboard more upright and baby on the other side.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi. Thanks for the tips, I checked out the carseat and he can be sitting more upright, he's kind of low-riding now... LOL. How do you know what angle he is? Aside from using a protractor... haha.... Is there something in the carseat? I'm super pregnant and huge so I might be missing it, it's hard for me to climb in the center back seat to see...