Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Car seat experts-installation help needed

Ok, so I got a 2008 Civic a week and a half ago. I can get a great install using LATCH behind the front passenger's seat. The leg room is adequate up front, but hubby could not ride there for an extended period.
So today I get it in the center using the car safety belt.
It feels pretty solid, but at the front of the base it almost looks like it is floating because the car's seat has an extra ridge and I cannot figure how to tackle that. It seems a bit more obvious on one side as well. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'd love for it to work in the center seat because legroom up front is awesome with it there.
Here's a few pics because it's hard for me to explain.
The overall install pic.

Closer pic of the "good" side

From the other side

Close ups of the other side

Also I put a tshirt over the seat back. One headrest through each arm hole, and the seatbelt holder thing through the neck hole. It does not interfere with anything as far as I can tell so it's OK to do that, right?

Thanks so much for any advice

Advertisement

Elena"s Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car seat experts-installation help needed

cut a pool noodle to the width of the base, put it under the base, kneel it the carseat to reinstall the seatbelt and that should help. This does not effect the safety of the seat. When I was having the same problem i asked when i went to one of those car seat inspection things and that is what they did.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmama2 View Post
cut a pool noodle to the width of the base, put it under the base, kneel it the carseat to reinstall the seatbelt and that should help. This does not effect the safety of the seat. When I was having the same problem i asked when i went to one of those car seat inspection things and that is what they did.
It is not actually "floating in the middle though. Just the edges of the front of the base look like that. The center front of the base is squished into the seat pretty well.
I was told you almost never use a noodle with Britax because you can adjust the recline with the tether if needed. I'm also concerned the seat would be over reclined if I added anything else under the base
I'm confused
Old 06-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry- i see it now. That is a weird little bump in the middle. If the center of the base is secure i wouldn't worry about it unless the seat tips easily to the sides. sorry i couldn't help. good luck

Last edited by irishmama2; 06-07-2008 at 10:48 AM.
irishmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

at this site you can type in your zip and it will tell you were to have your carseat inspected for free.. mine was the local cop station... http://pediatrics.about.com/library/...n_stations.htm
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You could also try a rolled up towel, with the same idea as the pool noodle. You are using the tether right? Or work on getting the belt part tighter. Maybe your dh can do that part for you.

Last edited by mamaratliff; 06-07-2008 at 10:55 AM.
mamaratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips, but I think you are misunderstanding a little. It is in super tight. Even before the tether is connected it will only budge about 1/4 inch in the belt path.
A pool noodle or rolled towel would not help that.
It just looks odd on the corners of the front of the base. I just don't know where the best place to put the front edge of the base is.
On top of the little ridge/bump, or below/in front of it...or if it's fine where it is.
UGH! I hate getting the gist of a new car
I have a decent tech not too far. Our local police guys are awful and not certified and really should be made to wear huge red signs that state they are endangering your LO's life (sorry, rant for another day!)
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It looks fine to me, but I'm not carseat tech! I just always thought that if it was solid and not moving more than 1", you were good.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1002 View Post
It looks fine to me, but I'm not carseat tech! I just always thought that if it was solid and not moving more than 1", you were good.
Yeah, that. My car also has that bump, sort of makes the side seats like bucket seats. The bump is narrower than the carseat, so the edges of the seat are going to hang off a little. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, but I'm not a tech. I agree that you should get it inspected by a certified tech. Good luck!
grisaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I would post those pics and ask this on car-seat.org. Those ladies are gurus on carseat installation.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote