Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #41
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Halloween Yay or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
I am very happy for you, and your whole town really. It is disgusting here. We ran out of available routes to take to church which didn't take us past gruesome displays--and we were sick and stayed home for two entire weeks before halloween, this stuff has been up since september. And it's not just halloween, they do zombie mud runs and stuff all year. They think it's cute on toddlers.

Jen, I think you do a fine job expressing your opinion respectfully, but I think anything you say gets taken more seriously/personally because you are respected and wise--because t is obvious that you DO think things out before replying, so there is more finality in your words.

What I find interesting is studying another culture and seeing people ask why they do a certain thing and the people have no reason other than "that's how we always have done it", tradition, etc. And then looking at my own life/culture in the same way. Can I explain to an outsider why I do this or that? And if I can't, really examining that thing--if I wasn't used to doing it and suddenly heard of the concept, what would I think? Would i institute it? Run from it? Not care either way? There are things I love just because I'm used to them, grew up having fun doing, etc. which I've wanted to share with my children but then I realized I'm creating the appetite for the thing in my children, where none would exist if i just skipped the thing (I'm thinking of various holiday and non holiday stuff here). I haven't yet fully looked at Halloween in this way, just one movie we watched for it.
It sounds horrible to not even be able to drive down the road without seeing that kind of thing. We are in the middle of the Bible belt and a conservative area overall so that probably makes a big difference.

I certainly don't feel wise. I am trying to learn and grow but never intend for my opinion to be the end all. I think it's fine that we are from various lifestyles and share mixed opinions on so many topics, and in many ways I think that is a good thing to help us understand others. I know discussions on here have certainly opened my eyes to things many times before--we don't have much culture variance or anything here, and sometimes it's a bit like living in a bubble.

I have ran across that so many times 'that's the way we've always done it' and it is really interesting to evaluate things outside of that perspective. DH and I used to teach a teen Sunday School class and it was disturbing to realize how many of them really had no knowledge of anything, Biblical or otherwise, aside from "That's what my Dad says/what my Mom has always done" type answers. It really made me think. It's hard to say though, how we'd really feel about things since we are so molded by our previous experiences, both good and bad. I know when we have worked with bio parents in the past I have thought so many times about how different things would be if their upbringing was different. It can be really hard to move away from whatever 'normal' is to us, even if it's something that needs done.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #42
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, and sometimes that's the entire case against bio parents. Two of mine were that reason alone, so sad.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #43
Pearsa
Registered Users

I really like Halloween, it is a very cool tradition
Pearsa is offline   Reply With Quote