Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
6th grade math help

My 11 yr old has always been a straight A student but seems to be struggling in math this year even though a lot of it he learned last year. It mainly seems to be on tests. I think part of it is a little bit of arrogance for lack of a better word, he has always been great at school and naturally intelligent so he rushes through things without taking his time assuming he is right.

I feel like its my fault he has a C because I kind of took a step back and was trusting him when he said he didnt need to study or go over his homework. Letting him come to me when he needed help instead of holding his hand through his homework.

So I guess my question is advice on how to help him slow down and take his time and focus vs rushing and making silly little mistakes.

Advertisement

kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: 6th grade math help

The middle school jump is hard and for now I would just have a talk with him about what you expect and ask him why things seem to be harder this year. I wouldn't be too hard on him yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I am trying not to be too hard on him. When we saw the C on his report card I talked to him about it and he had a meltdown and threw a fit that we expected all As from him and I calmly explained to him that every parent wants their child to have all As and succeed but having a C isnt the end of the world we just need to work a little harder to get it up.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And were we are from middle school starts im 5th grade so this isnt his first year in middle school.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #5
DanielaLee
Banned

No worries, studying success is not a stable thing, there are also ups and downs, everyone goes through it. You just need to support your son, emotionally. Middle school is always a stress, 11 y.o. is also a difficult age, young guy enters his teenager era and is being distracted on different things like friends, "cool" hobbies, organism changes and girls. I was never good at Math and hired a tutor for DD when she was 10, we also use online maths assistance from time to time, just irreplaceable service in our case. Things were easier at primary school, but since Math means algebra/geometry/triginimetry mom (me) can't be a helper anymore lol.
DanielaLee is offline   Reply With Quote