Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Help-Baby shuddering spell?

Ok Morgan is 6 months old and has done this shuddering thing 6 times in the last month or maybe 2 months. It reminds me of a seizure but from what I've read, maybe it's not.

He does it while nursing and falling asleep. It usually lasts around 10 seconds but this last time was more than 15 seconds. I brought it up to the ped once after he had done it 3 times and he said if he acts normal afterwards, it's most likely an exaggerated reflex. Well, he's falling asleep so how do I know? Once I sat him up after it and he did in fact look and act normal.

This last time he nursed through it. Sucked and swallowed fine at least once.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help-Baby shuddering spell?

I would try to get it on video to show your ped. I know thats probably not easy though.

Im sorry I dont have any good insight. The only thing I can think of is its his body trying to fight falling asleep? Like hes over tired.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
I would try to get it on video to show your ped. I know thats probably not easy though.

Im sorry I dont have any good insight. The only thing I can think of is its his body trying to fight falling asleep? Like hes over tired.

He was definitely overtired this morning. Something to think about, for sure.

I have been trying to get it on video for a few weeks now but like a dummy I just sat frozen today. And I would've had time to catch it this time.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would make a list of questions and talk to your doctor again. Let him know that it is still happening and the last one was longer. If you can, getting a video would be really helpful but I know that's not easy. The fact that he's swallowing and sucking through it seems like a really good thing to me. Mostly It probably isn't a huge deal but parenting is scary with all the what ifs.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
He was definitely overtired this morning. Something to think about, for sure.

I have been trying to get it on video for a few weeks now but like a dummy I just sat frozen today. And I would've had time to catch it this time.
Even if you can't get a video, it's good to note any circumstances. Does it happen mostly when he's tired? Bright flashing lights? Hungry? Anything else?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I did find a YouTube video that is very similar to what he does.

It is always when he is nursing and falling asleep.

He has an appt on Feb 20 but I think I will call his nurse and let him know what's going on.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I did find a YouTube video that is very similar to what he does.

It is always when he is nursing and falling asleep.

He has an appt on Feb 20 but I think I will call his nurse and let him know what's going on.
What did the person that uploaded the video say? Is it possibly a low sugar issue? Is Morgan hungry when it happens?

I definitely would get a video. Kids do so e more things so there might be nothing wrong but it would be great to get reassurance.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
What did the person that uploaded the video say? Is it possibly a low sugar issue? Is Morgan hungry when it happens?

I definitely would get a video. Kids do so e more things so there might be nothing wrong but it would be great to get reassurance.

The person that uploaded the video didn't say. I have watched a lot of videos and other people have said that it was called "shudder attacks" and nothing ever came of it.

You know.... I never thought about sugar!!!!
I am going to think on that. He is actually nursing every time it has happened so in theory he is hungry but being satisfied when it happens.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I am waiting on a callback from the ped.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a baby do little shudders when falling asleep too. I had forgotten all about it til reading your post, can't even remember which baby! I can't remember if I read about it or actually talked to the doctor, but came away completely unworried, it is just an immature nervous system (in my case).

I also had a foster baby who had tremors in his legs that happened wide awake, and he was looking around etc not like a seizure. This one did concern me and ped. wan't concerned but sent him to neurologist anyway. He was out of my care by the time of the neurology appt. but I was told he checked out all clear. That one had the potential to have been withdrawal though.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote