Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
pickeljuice
Registered Users

Unhappy UPDATED :(He may have adhd. how could I have missed it?

Hi my 7 year old son may have add or adhd.
I am just coming out of the denial stage. a little about him.
He doesn't have any close buddies. He has had 3 play dates but no one ever asking him, he always asks. He can play video games or watch tv for hours if I let him. He only plays with toys for about 5 mins then moves on to the next thing. He has a hard time looking at me, when its time to listen to instructions. he is often in his own world, talking to him self. he talks non stop. usually in a very loud voice. he never sits still. He moves his arms and does this jigger y thing with with. if he is "still" he has his hands in him mouth and is talking to himself, and will usually flap his arm or stick out a leg. but much slower and quieter than usual.
He is often in some kind of trouble at home or in class. He is exhausting to be around... he goes from totally fine, involved in a game or show to totally screaming, whining jiggering around when its time to transition to new things.

whew
now that said, in the last year he has gotten better, I have gotten better. I give long warnings for transitions. he goes to bed at the same time and has the same routine EVERY night. we have added a new baby to our family, so things have been a bit hectic, lately I have noticed that his behavior is getting worst. I suspect its all the junk we have been eating. Plus he has gotten so he doesn't "like" salad and veggies anymore. I feel like I am running a restaurant, trying to keep all his nutritional needs met while only giving him the stuff he will eat.
My partner, his step dad is absolutely fed up with his constant whining and just not listening to us, he completely ignores my fiance.
we have a family support worker who i meet with once a week and my son has a child counselor that he meets with once a week. we have meeting at his school every few months so we are all on track. now his old school told me he scored high on the ADD pre test. I now see that they were right, why did it take me so long to come to this conclusion? denial is huge, these behaviors have been staring me in the face for years. I feel like such a failure as a mother. I don't want my child to have a label, but really he does I guess?
anyone know of what is next? we are going to Dr. but.. I mean, will he need medication? that just freaks me out. but if it will help him how can i say no?

Advertisement

Last edited by pickeljuice; 11-08-2011 at 02:43 AM.
pickeljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: He may have adhd. how could I have missed it?

i am so here with you momma . my ods is 12yo and has adhd. i knew he was different when he was about 3. i knew when his preschool teacher told me "he marches to the beat of another drummer" it would be a problem. i vowed NEVER to medicate. his first grade teacher told me i should give it some serious thought. i remember being so furious w/her. how dare she tell me that about my son! we did work out a solution for his behavior in school w/flipping cards and so on. but as the years went on he became harder to reach. i changed his diet, his clothes, took him to a chiropractor, a cst & got him involved in sports bla bla bla... nothing worked. if it did in the slighest...it was only temporary. at my lowest and his i gave in to the meds. they do work...but i feel this is temporary too. i say this b/c i have seen it happen. i give him this drug for adhd he does well but then it doesnt work for too long. i am not knowing if this is always the case but from my end it has been. i have noticed a huge difference in school! his grades are much better. but his social inappropriateness and his impulsiveness have not. he has also had counceling. which i thought would help but didnt...i am at my wits end. my child is broken and i cant fix him nor can anyone else . i am sorry momma. this is a hard road but it is NOT your fault! i know there will be an answer for your ds and mine too. finding the right medication can be tricky. but it has to be worth it. i just think about how he must feel inside...it has to be confusing and scarry.
if you ever need to talk just pm me
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
wyatt09
Registered Users

My Mood:

hugs and prayers to you mama
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You are not a failure mama!! I feel that is what is so amazing about mamas - they can be so intuitive, accepting, and able and willing to handle the challenges with their own children that they don't see those differences as a problem. This is the way you have come to know your child, and you have made changes in your routine to adapt to what he needs. That being said, not everyone is as willing (or able) to adapt to his needs and sometimes it takes someone else to point out what later seems like it should have been obvious. I'm sorry for all that you are dealing with but just wanted to reassure you that you're doing what you need to do as his mama. Good luck at your doctor's appointment. Just listen to the doctor's suggestions and do what you think is right. You can always change the plan later if you need to.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

I feel your pain mamaMy ODD is 6 and is ADHD big time, everyday is a constant battle with her. She is medicated and if it werent for that I think I would have to be committed.... Im not joking she makes me CRAZY! i have never been around another child that can go from 0- insane in 2 seconds flat! She can push buttons I didnt know I had.
She is an amazing kid when she has some selfcontrol, she is giving caring and SO lovable.... I wish the meds worked all the time, but we occasionally have to do dosage changes or med changes...
This is who she is nad what God blessed as with. it is trying and stressful but I know we can and WILL make it thru this and she will grow up an amazing lady!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am a mom of an ADHD child. He has always been "different". He was diagnosed at almost age 4. I was labeled the bad parent and he the bad child by our peers. He impulsiveness was uncontrollable and he did really wierd things. He is behind socially and achedemically
We hit rock bottom as a family before we seeked help. I was desperate I knew he had it. But I didn't want meds. I tried every herbal drug with no avail.
Finally he got diagnosed and I got Ritalin. I had horrible guilt that I failed him. It was my fault. Maybe it was something I did while pg?
On Ritalin he is so much better. Not perfect but now able to concentrate at school. Still behind socially. We have issues with sleep and he lost 10% of his body wieght in 3 wks. He weighs 30lbs and is 4.
It's a long road for everyone. But you can't blame yourself. You need to focus on your child.
Hugs.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
clothmomof3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel0123 View Post
I am a mom of an ADHD child. He has always been "different". He was diagnosed at almost age 4. I was labeled the bad parent and he the bad child by our peers. He impulsiveness was uncontrollable and he did really wierd things. He is behind socially and achedemically
We hit rock bottom as a family before we seeked help. I was desperate I knew he had it. But I didn't want meds. I tried every herbal drug with no avail.
Finally he got diagnosed and I got Ritalin. I had horrible guilt that I failed him. It was my fault. Maybe it was something I did while pg?
On Ritalin he is so much better. Not perfect but now able to concentrate at school. Still behind socially. We have issues with sleep and he lost 10% of his body wieght in 3 wks. He weighs 30lbs and is 4.
It's a long road for everyone. But you can't blame yourself. You need to focus on your child.
Hugs.
We had weight loss issues as well, It will get better,but, for now try increasing his fat intake, use butter, peanut butter or Ovaltine in/on everything. Icecream (no sugar added) That should balance out but it may take a 6 weeks. Good Luck. If he continues to lose you may need to try a different med. Lexi is on Focalin (sp) XP in the am then Focalin (reg) in the evening, she also take Clonadine.125 before bed.....
Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothmomof3

We had weight loss issues as well, It will get better,but, for now try increasing his fat intake, use butter, peanut butter or Ovaltine in/on everything. Icecream (no sugar added) That should balance out but it may take a 6 weeks. Good Luck. If he continues to lose you may need to try a different med. Lexi is on Focalin (sp) XP in the am then Focalin (reg) in the evening, she also take Clonadine.125 before bed.....
I have never heard of that drug. We tried stratterA, concerta and aderol (sp?). We use high fat everything. Replaced drinks with shakes. Poor thing is a bone rack. Will try your suggestions. Thanks. It's so concerning to see a kid who could never get full premeds. To never wanting to eat.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
pickeljuice
Registered Users

thank you so much!!!
the dr is just setting us up to see a pediatrican. then its a waiting game to get him into the add clinic at sunny hill hospital. but it feels ok, too finally do something
pickeljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Circe
Registered Users
seller

Good luck! I could have written your post a few months ago. We finally had our 6yr old evaluated and he was diagnosed with ADD. We had already changed our routines and diets, so we started with Vyvanse. The change has been amazing. He was behind 5 math units at school, and has made up 3 of them in a month. He is back to being my sweet boy. He told us that he could focus now.

Circe is offline   Reply With Quote