Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Paper help- nevermind :-) I'll try harder on it tomorrow

I am going to fail this class automatically if I can't fix my paper by tomorrow afternoon.

If anyone who knows how to do APA format and can have it edited by noon tomorrow for me or can REALLY help me I would truly appreciate it.

According to her, I have 10 punctuation errors that I cannot figure out and 6 errors in my cited sources. I have never written APA style before and I suck at MLA as well and do not understand citing sources very well. I feel like an idiot since I graduated in the top ten of my high school class and had the highest SAT score yet can't figure this out even after reading the purdue edu guidelines over and over. I am also using Open Office because I have a Macbook so I can't do my running head right. I may be able to fix that tomorrow while I am at a high school doing observations.

Please PM me.

Advertisement

EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Willing to pay someone to edit my paper!!

ah, I'd do it for ya for free, but I have a ton of work to do tonight and will be at work in the morning. If you can't find someone else, I can try to take a quick look, but I know I won't have a ton of time to really go through it.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
seller
seller

I fixed the misspelled words. What I find funny is she spelled misspelled wrong and left out an s. I had a friend run it through Word's grammar check.

It's ticking me off. I know I used my verbs and nouns properly, but it keeps wanting to change 'is' to 'are' because the immediate noun in front of it is plural, but those nouns have nothing to do with the sentence.

Example:

He even notes that possibly the reason the risk is higher among twins is because of the crowded uterine environment. Word says correct way is twins are.

If I removed "the risk is higher among twins" and it became "He even notes that possibly the reason is because of the crowded uterine environment." One reason= IS.

Am I wrong?

One more example.

Another study published in Archives of General Psychiatry, around the same time as Dr. Hallmayer's has even suggested that antidepressants may possibly be a factor.

Word says use a semi-colon after Psychiatry because it thinks it's a complete sentence, but it isn't.

Last edited by EveryDayIsANewDay; 02-02-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayIsANewDay View Post
I fixed the misspelled words. What I find funny is she spelled misspelled wrong and left out an s. I had a friend run it through Word's grammar check.

It's ticking me off. I know I used my verbs and nouns properly, but it keeps wanting to change 'is' to 'are' because the immediate noun in front of it is plural but that those nouns have nothing to do with the sentence.

Example:

He even notes that possibly the reason the risk is higher among twins is because of the crowded uterine environment. Word says correct way is twins are.

If I removed "the risk is higher among twins" and it became "He even notes that possibly the reason is because of the crowded uterine environment." One reason= IS.

Am I wrong?

One more example.

Another study published in Archives of General Psychiatry, around the same time as Dr. Hallmayer's has even suggested that antidepressants may possibly be a factor.

Word says use a semi-colon after Psychiatry because it thinks it's a complete sentence, but it isn't.
You would use a semi colon in that instance. I hate APA format but I have gotten really good at doing it. I can help if you still need it!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I'd get rid of "around the same time" and actually site when it was published. I'd also get rid of "another study" and put in the actual study Such as:

In 2007 (but put real date) such and such study (but put the real study) suggested that antidepressants may possibly be a factor in....

I'd have to see it in context though, to see if Dr. Hallmayer really had such a correlation to this study, kwim?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
I'd get rid of "around the same time" and actually site when it was published. I'd also get rid of "another study" and put in the actual study Such as:

In 2007 (but put real date) such and such study (but put the real study) suggested that antidepressants may possibly be a factor in....

I'd have to see it in context though, to see if Dr. Hallmayer really had such a correlation to this study, kwim?

The teacher I am observing tomorrow is a friend. I remember her saying her best friend there is an English teacher. It's at a high school, and I may ask her friend to just look over it IF she has time. I know I definitely need to fix my citations. I'll just work on it tomorrow, but thank you two for your suggestions.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

It's ticking me off. I know I used my verbs and nouns properly, but it keeps wanting to change 'is' to 'are' because the immediate noun in front of it is plural, but those nouns have nothing to do with the sentence.

Example:

Am I wrong?

One more example.

I would change this sentence to:

He even notes that possibly the risk is higher among twins because of the crowded uterine environment.

You don't need the is at all. Also, less is more.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
I would change this sentence to:

He even notes that possibly the risk is higher among twins because of the crowded uterine environment.

You don't need the is at all. Also, less is more.
I like how you changed that around. Thanks! I'll go back through it tomorrow and try to cut it down some.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I can help you a bit if you need it, though I've been out of school about six months. I'm pretty good with writing papers.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Example:

Am I wrong?

One more example.

I"m not sure what the antidepressants are a factor in, so I would add that in at the end of the revised sentence. I think that you really do not need to say that the study was done at the same time as Dr. Hallmayers. You should probably put when the study was done and then cite it in quotes after the sentence. So for example:

A study published in Archives of General Psychiatry 1991 suggests that antidepressants may possibly be a factor in _________. (citation)

You can't go wrong with citations. Cite cite cite. Otherwise you will end up with a higher plagiarism percentage.