Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Is it more fun to use a serger machine?

I learned how to sew about a year before my first was born (because I wanted to make cloth wipes and mama cloth originally). Now he is 8 years old and while I know how to use my brother sewing machine and do use it for repairing clothing and small projects I don't really enjoy it.

I don't love the style of girls shorts of the market, and now that summer is approaching I am again thinking about how I'd like to attempt to make her shorts. (previous years I have bought a pattern and material but have yet to make any).

Is sewing with a serger anymore fun? I am wondering if I get a serger if I would enjoy making clothes a little bit more.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is it more fun to use a serger machine?

If you are asking if you hate sewing on a machine would you love a serger...no. If you like sewing alright and think a serger would make projects quicker and easier, absolutely!

A serger is super quick and it gives nice clean, professional seams. You will still need to use your regular machine for hems and topstitching, but a serger definitely does make projects go quicker and it feels really nice IMO.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I love my serger, but I wouldn't like sewing on it without a sewing machine. It's a little scary, honestly - it cuts as it sews, so if you get a fold in it, there's very little you can do to repair the hole you made

Last edited by Elchorrito; 03-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I love my serger, but I wouldn't like sewing on it without a sewing machine. It's a little scary, honestly - it cuts as it sews, so if you get a fold in it, there's very little you can do to repair the hole you made
Yes this. It is more "fun" only in that it is intense!
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

I got my serger a year ago and I love it. Whether or not you enjoy it will depend on what you don't like about your sewing machine. For me, I love it because it's awesome with knits, and it takes away the tediousness of finishing seams. However for hemming you'll need to use your sewing machine, unless you get a serger with a coverstitch feature.
The downsides are that it can be hard to fix mistakes (cuts off fabric and hard to unpick), and it can be hard to thread the machine. Granted, once it's threaded, it shouldn't need to be needed with much.

Anyway, since I've gotten it, I've sewn a lot of clothes with it. I can cut out and assemble a shirt in one evening, and the next I can hem it with my sewing machine.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I do not like sewing very much. But I do love using a serger.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I don't hate sewing, I just don't look forward to it at all so I put it off and things don't get done. I may try it, though the cutting and intensity sounds interesting, I will have to watch some youtube videos -- there has to be some

thanks
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 03-07-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Vetta
Registered Users

It helps a lot, I have to say
Vetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love my Serger. I honestly would be cranky to sew with out it now, but I sew over 70% of the families clothes ( all of my girls, 50-70% of the boys, half of mine ( or more- really everything but jeans and good bras and I’d love to get there) and just a few things for my husband. Plus gifts, selling here and there, etc...i sew a lot.

I think it’s a worth while investment if you want to sew many things. Otherwise I would just use the sewing machine
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
~Whiskey~
Registered Users

My Mood:

I miss having a serger! Definitely makes projects a lot easier. But I wouldn't have one without a regular sewing machine.
~Whiskey~ is offline   Reply With Quote