Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Any stellar ideas for kids clothing organization?

I have tried many different methods and they all seem to work fairly well until my most recent one. It's been an epic fail for my two little girls. (Big girl and boy don't have an issue with it.)

I was putting all tops together and bottoms together for the little girls. Yeah. Not working. They mix up each other's clothes and LG1 who is 5 only wants to wear Big Girl's clothes. Well Big girl has fewer clothes than anyone so she is constantly out of clothes. LG2 who is 3, will happily wear anything but she comes down in bike shorts and a cami and thinks she is dressed. I need something I can put outfits together in. I looked at these drawers which are big enough, but if I stack them, they will be way over their heads. They are the cheapest though. And could be repurposed later.

I don't want those closet bag things because they will look awful in a few months' time and I will throw them away.

I thought about divided cube shelves but
1. We have several of those already (of course the dividers I already have don't go with the shelves I already have)
2. That's a lot of pressed wood to bring in
3. They aren't cheap enough to buy two new ones.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any stellar ideas for kids clothing organization?

We have one of those cube storage things from Costco and we simplified our wardrobe so ALL the kids' clothes live in it. That's clothing for 6 kids minus things that need to be hung up, like dresses, slacks and button-up shirts. Each kid has his/her own cubby and folded clothes go right in there and that is what they choose clothes out of in the morning. We moved it into the laundry room (which is tiny, btw) and that's where they get dressed now. I was getting so tired of nagging kids to pick up their dirty clothes off their floor and put them into their hamper, and put their clean clothes away in their drawers, and we were using the cubbies for in-between anyway, so I got rid of (repurposed) the dressers and went down to just the cubbies and I like it a lot better. They do each have a grow-into bin up in their closet, and we do still deal with clothing on the bedroom floor occasionally, but 90% of the hassle is gone. If you wanted outfits together, it might be trickier, but you could put each outfit in a ziplock bag or something and then put it in a cubby if you wanted.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
We have one of those cube storage things from Costco and we simplified our wardrobe so ALL the kids' clothes live in it. That's clothing for 6 kids minus things that need to be hung up, like dresses, slacks and button-up shirts. Each kid has his/her own cubby and folded clothes go right in there and that is what they choose clothes out of in the morning. We moved it into the laundry room (which is tiny, btw) and that's where they get dressed now. I was getting so tired of nagging kids to pick up their dirty clothes off their floor and put them into their hamper, and put their clean clothes away in their drawers, and we were using the cubbies for in-between anyway, so I got rid of (repurposed) the dressers and went down to just the cubbies and I like it a lot better. They do each have a grow-into bin up in their closet, and we do still deal with clothing on the bedroom floor occasionally, but 90% of the hassle is gone. If you wanted outfits together, it might be trickier, but you could put each outfit in a ziplock bag or something and then put it in a cubby if you wanted.

I'm gonna need a picture. LOL

I'm trying to envision this. So you stack shirts and pants (whatever) in a separate cubby? Each child has how many "squares?"
Old 04-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I'm gonna need a picture. LOL

I'm trying to envision this. So you stack shirts and pants (whatever) in a separate cubby? Each child has how many "squares?"
Each child has one square. Their clothing is limited to what fits in it...which is more than you would think. If you are a perfectionist, this will probably drive you bonkers. But it is so much easier...and they could never keep their clothes neat in their dresser anyway, so it's not much different.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We always just used chest of drawers. Each item got a drawer. If I wanted/needed them to wear something specific, I simply told them.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's a pic. It's really about as simple as can be. I switched things around about a year ago. I knew things would be crazy when Faith was born, and wanted to simplify our laundry routine as much as possible. The theory is that a load gets washed every day or so and folded right out of the dryer and put right into the cubbies. The reality is a little different from that, but maybe eventually I'll get my act together with folding right away again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06513 (1).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	186954  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
abh5e8
Registered Users

How about writing names or initials on the tags? I've used the dot system too. No dot = ds1, dot = ds2, 2 dots = ds3.

For the outfit issues, I would try ziplock bags. Bike shorts +dress or tunic + leggings or shirt + shorts.

Are these the bags you want to avoid?
Ikea Organizer Closet Storage Hanging Skubb (2 Pack) White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU2XNAO..._g2AWAbXQBFTRW

If not, they would be awesome to load with one outfit in each slot.

Clothes are such as pain. I know we have too many but it's hard for me to cull.

I LOVE your system Mamalama! So jammies, undies, socks - everything is in the 1 cubby? How nice to get dressed right in the laundry room.

Last edited by abh5e8; 04-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Ok got it! I couldn't condense down to just one square though. That would drive me bonkers. And like, their cold weather pants take up so much room. But tee shirts and skirts don't of course.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Any stellar ideas for kids clothing organization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
We always just used chest of drawers. Each item got a drawer. If I wanted/needed them to wear something specific, I simply told them.

They are 5 and 3. Telling them to go find a specific outfit is the problem.

ETA: we don't have enough floor space for three dressers either. Or even sharing a dresser. There is a built in dresser in the closet but it's arranged stupidly and I could kill my builder.

Last edited by MamaChirpy; 04-01-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post

I LOVE your system Mamalama! So jammies, undies, socks - everything is in the 1 cubby? How nice to get dressed right in the laundry room.
Yes, everything is in together. It isn't very organized within each cubby but it is EASY which for me right now is a win.