Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #11
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Organization Ideas Tips & Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
In the laundry room in a cabinet above the washer. It is the center of the house, but wouldn't be ideal for daily routine use. I keep my prenatals on the kitchen counter so I see them, and DH keeps Zyrtec by his toothbrush. Daily stuff is messy and annoying.
I keep my pill organizer in the kitchen island so I remember to take my vitamins too. Our of sight out of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Agla, that's the way our closet shelving is at this house. I don't love it, but it works. We hang clothes directly from the shelf. One annoying thing is the bar doesn't go all the way across, so you can't slide clothes back and forth more than in their current section. The other thing to be careful if is our shelves weren't properly anchored in the wall and when we moved in and hung our clothes some of them started to pull out. I don't know if we hang more clothes than most people or what, but watch for that as the hanging clothes start to get heavy. DH was able to re-anchor them and they're fine now, but you never know who installed them and how.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to have to check that for sure. From what I can tell we have approximately 1000 times more clothes than the current owner.

Books
Clothes
Toys
We have too much based on the boxes that have already been packed.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #12
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Currently, I have the following concerns:

While it has same amount of closets some are smaller. All have at least one of those white wire shelf shelves installed:

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-3D...bbermaid+shelf

None of the closets have a bar across. Is that usually the case with these type of organizers? You just hang from the shelf?

Books- We have so many books. The day after we get there is the town side sale so I hope I can find a larger tall book shelf. We have 4 shorter ones coming with us already.

I really like the ideas shared here for organizing the medicine cabinet as that's another concern. Right now we have use of two bathroom under sink cabinets. I'm going down to 1 1/2. I did notice she had some sort of shelving unit in each bathroom. I might have to do the same.

So you guys have hit on what would be some of my tips:

Store things together that will be used together.

I have one cabinet dedicated to coffee and tea. I keep coffee maker right underneath. Someone stops in and it takes me very little time to put out a warm drink. No looking about. I plan to make this area it's own little section in the dining room in the new house.

I konmarie folded the youngest boys clothes a while ago and that is the one method that has consistently worked for them. I think for the youngest two they create outfits based on color so seeing all they have makes it easy for them to grab what they want. It slowed down my spending on them quite a bit because I can also see at a glance what they have.

One way I kept our coffee and train two places we lived, is a baker's rack. I bought a baker's rack for $25 right before I got married and had the best time painting it and staining the wood to match my dining room table. I kept my coffee pot and cups/saucers sugar/creamer on that baker's rack in my dining room. I got so many compliments on it.
(HA! We didn't even drink coffee then. I had a coffee maker and coffee/tea set for company.)

Mine wasn't like this, but I love this one!

If you did something like this, it wouldn't take up a cabinet, if you are short on cabinet space.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #13
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
You might consider getting the pill boxes that you fill for the week. Get a different color for everyone, or label with names. If everyone takes them at the same time, and only once a day, you could even get one that has morning, lunchtime, dinner, bed and give everyone their own color that way. You could then store the bottles in a cabinet or closet.

That's a good idea. It would be less clutter to look at.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #14
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
One way I kept our coffee and train two places we lived, is a baker's rack. I bought a baker's rack for $25 right before I got married and had the best time painting it and staining the wood to match my dining room table. I kept my coffee pot and cups/saucers sugar/creamer on that baker's rack in my dining room. I got so many compliments on it.
(HA! We didn't even drink coffee then. I had a coffee maker and coffee/tea set for company.)

Mine wasn't like this, but I love this one!

If you did something like this, it wouldn't take up a cabinet, if you are short on cabinet space.
I like that one too. I saw a hutch I really liked but now that I think about it I don't want another big heavy piece in the house. I like the rack idea. I had one a long time ago and liked it. Right now my thought was to use this Boos cart we have no place for. I don't like that ours has only one shelf. I might try and add a shelf somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
That's a good idea. It would be less clutter to look at.
I get torn between liking to see everything and wanting everything out of site.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the medicine cabinet I like to keep bandaids where the DC can access them themselves (when we moved here we set up for fostering guidelines, so our medicine cabinet is a kitchen cabinet we put a keyed lock on).

If you're torn between seeing and out of sight, go with out of sight.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #16
abh5e8
Registered Users

We have two small plastic shoeboxes of meds, that live on my highest closet shelf. I do keep a small supple of Band-Aids in the kids bathroom where they can reach them. We keep a couple of meds in the kitchen, just on a shelf with dishes. Kids Motrin, reg Motrin and Zyrtec. I keep vitamins in the fridge.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #17
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also have a shelf of supplements in the fridge.
Do they last longer?

I'm going to have to keep first aid items all in one spot I have plenty of plastic shoebox containers.

I have a plastic drawer unit I could use too. It won't look great but that might not matter much in the upstairs bathroom. It won't fit peroxide in there though I think.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #18
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So we have way too many toys, books and clothes.

It definitely becomes obvious when you are packing it all.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:00 AM   #19
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I have almost everything packed and I'm managing to get dressed everyday and look somewhat ok with a handful of items. Which leads me to wonder why I have a full closet. Same with the kids. It might be time for a huge purge.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #20
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
So I have almost everything packed and I'm managing to get dressed everyday and look somewhat ok with a handful of items. Which leads me to wonder why I have a full closet. Same with the kids. It might be time for a huge purge.
I felt this exact same way during our move!
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote