Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need suggestions......please!!

This is our first year homeschooling (actually we just started 2 weeks ago). I invested in the SOS curriculum for my 6th grader and am not completely satisfied with it. My daughter likes doing her schoolwork on the computer but she is really struggling with it. I feel like the lessons are short and not very well taught so I am having to walk her through every. single. problem that she does during the day. I'd like to try some other curriculums. I know that one type/company/style may not work for her in all subjects so I'm willing to mix it up for each subject. Here are things to consider:

1.She does have a hard time focusing but thrives when she understands it.

2.I'm not necessarily set on faith based curriculum but that is all my searches are pulling up.

3.She really has to have the things she has learned incorporated into what she is doing or she forgets them. Because of that, I thought Saxon math might be good since it seems you are always using what you just learned.

4.I'd love for her to be able to work a bit more independently so that I can get some stuff done around here during the day.

But, honestly mama's, I have no clue. Any links to curriculum would be good. Any advice on certain ones to look into would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need suggestions......please!!

you could try taking what you have and tweaking it to make it work for your daughter. for one thing, when she has text to read and questions to answer, you could have her read and then narrate back to you what she read, or just answer questions orally. narration is quite a bit of work and I use it for my kids. also, you dont have to worry about completing the curric in a certain amount of time - you can schedule it lighter to go slower to make sure she is getting it. or add in extra worksheets to go over a subject longer.

i went through several (and i mean alot!) of boxed currics and hated them all for one reason or another. then i started reading up on Charlotte Mason and have completely changed the way we hs. As a matter of fact I dont use much in the way of curric anymore - except I do use Emma Serls Intermediate Language Lessons (which is free on Google Books) and Simply Grammar and Math Mammoth. Charlotte Mason believes in short lessons and lots of good reading. My kids read books from the library for history and science, not texts, and I cant tell you how much more they are learning.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am more of a "piecemeal" type of girl myself.. I found different ones I liked and put them together to form what I wanted.

My second grader really likes teaching textbooks for math.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second Teaching Textbooks for math.

We use Heart of Dakota. It's a curriculum package, but they piecemeal all my favorites together so it's a win-win. And, incorps the Charlotte Mason approach. They hit on things for all learning styles.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Teaching textbooks is awesome for math. We peice things together. We like Shurley English (i have a 5th grader) and Story of the world for history,