Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
AshNicole331
Registered Users

Re: Siblings at hospital birth?

I would if my kid was older. I think at my LO's age now, it would only scare her.

Advertisement

AshNicole331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

My daughter is 5 and due to her personality I talked to her about what to expect and asked if she wanted to come with us, or just come later when the babies are out. My mom will bring her and be there to entertain her and help her with anything she needs to keep me and my husband focused on labour.

Even with her personality, I wouldn't consider it if there was no one to come solely to tend to her, and I also wouldn't consider it if I didn't think she could handle it.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had planned on it, talked with my OB and he was on board, we were going to have MIL come to keep our 2 year old entertained if she couldn't handle being in the room. Needless to say they weren't there because I went into labor at night when they were sleeping and we decided to just let ODD sleep (5.5 yrs old), she was there for DD#2's (the 2 year old) birth at home... which worked out since I needed both DH and my doula for the 30 minutes I was actually there and checked in before DD#3 was born

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have to say the idea of having someone there to tend to the older siblings sounds good. When my brother was born I was 6 and they took me along to the hospital. I think they just didn't have anyone to watch me. I hadn't been prepared at all for what happens during birth or anything. They had a room you checked in to first, then a delivery room down the hall. I got left in the hospital room by myself and could just hear screaming down the hall. Wasn't sure if it was my mom or what was going on and of course all the staff was gone. Jeez, kind of makes me sad thinking about it. Maybe it was like 5 minutes and its just one of those kid memories where you don't have it remembered quite right. Wouldn't you think there would have been someone in the hospital who I could have sat with? Anyway... I'm definitely thinking it has to be very well planned!
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #25
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had my oldest (11) DD in the room when I had my youngest in December. She really wanted to be there, and I thought it would be a good birth control (ok, and a special memory )
I was induced. I chose not to get an epidural (a first for me.)
I completely lost control during the last 2.5hrs of labor/delivery. I mean, full on crazy. My children have never seen me like that. DD still talks about how much my screaming scared her. I think she had a fairy tale in her head, and the reality of my pain/inability to keep my cool, really traumatized her.
I absolutely refused to allow my mom to come up because she had my 5.5yr old with her. I knew that I was too far gone for him. It really would have upset him to see me like that.

Would I have an older child there? Yes! (Again, birth control! LOL)
No way would I have a younger child there. BUT, that's based on how I know *I* handle "natural" labor.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
weazieann
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was there when my sister was born, however, I was 16.
My son is 3 and he will not be there when our newest is born.