Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bamboo -- Is it just me?

i think they are great too, but i am addicted to my gmd ub browns too!

Advertisement

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~stacy~ View Post
I think it really depends on your water type/choice of detergents/ etc. Harder water tends to add a little crunch for some folks. But a few drier balls in the drier cycle also tend to solve the problem. And some luckier people have more friendly water and never see anything but soft wonderful bamboo.

We exclusively use bamboo here and it's my absolute fave. And I have been through about every diapering fabric since we started cloth diapering nearly 3 years ago now. I just throw in a little baking soda in the wash sometimes since I have hard well water and it softens things right up for us. But we never get very crunchy even without it.
I also add baking soda to super hard well water.. and vinegar in the rinse.. and we use 6 dryer balls. So maybe that is why my bv doesnt get the crunchies people describe. My hemp is barely starting to get a little stiffer now after 3 months of use, and it's just a tad. They are still pretty soft. Nothing like BV tho..

I am in love with bamboo. She stays much drier feeling and they never feel super wet, given, I do use hemp hiddens in my diapers.. but even my crickets have started feeling wet lately after a night of nursing and no changing. The bamboo feels damp and dense.. not wet. I dunno if that makes sense, but it is the best I can do.

I used to be all about the prints, but now nothing makes me more diaper intoxicated then a fresh outta the bath nekkid bamboo velour covered bum.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Watermama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't had the crunchies either, but I'm only using the prefolds.
Watermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

I'm still confused about this crunchiness others have experienced. My BV is still very soft. Much much softer than my cotton velour, hemp fleece and sherpa stuff. Water makes a really huge difference apparently!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
Bobbysmamak8
Registered Users
seller

Location: Georgia, but half of my heart is stationed in Louisiana!
My Mood:

I have used Simplicity from the get-go with my goodmama. Granted, I have only washed it 3 or 4 times, but it's still exactly as soft as ever.
I WANT some bamboo prefolds SOOO bad. I need paypal! Someone buy something from me!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
kristiashley
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been using bamboo prefolds exclusively for over 4 months and I truly have no crunch, with my velour or any of the bamboo fabric I use. I think it also can have something to do with detergent residue since none of my bamboo dipes have crunch, fitteds included.

I have hard water, use Charlie's and dry on low, if that helps. I have found that for my super soaker, nothing else will hold him, including hemp.

For those looking, I have some bamboo loop terry prefolds stocking today.

Kristi, WAHM to three lovely little ones, DD (8) and DS (5) and DS (3).
kristiashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #17
QueenofmyCastle
Registered Users
seller

This is really bothering me- I have a stash of bv fitteds that are 6-8 months old, and most of the diapers are stiff and rough- I hate it! I ADORED these diapers when they were new, but I'm really not impressed with how they 'wear'. I've recently started adding a little water softener, but not noticing much difference. HELP! I don't want to go on the hunt again!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
greenbebe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofmyCastle View Post
This is really bothering me- I have a stash of bv fitteds that are 6-8 months old, and most of the diapers are stiff and rough- I hate it! I ADORED these diapers when they were new, but I'm really not impressed with how they 'wear'. I've recently started adding a little water softener, but not noticing much difference. HELP! I don't want to go on the hunt again!!!
I have heard (but not tried) that soaking in hot water with some dawn will help take the crunchies away! I swear by dryer balls and ecover. I always use my dryer balls, but only use ecover on occasion.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #19
Copa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saw a post recently that a mama put a super crunchy fsot diaper in a pale of warm water and ecover overnight and it was totally rejuvenated. Worth a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofmyCastle View Post

my slow internet connection is crushing my fluffy dreams
Copa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #20
the8dunlaps
Registered Users
seller
seller

I actually wasn't happy with our bamboo velour topped prefolds either... they got stiff and not so soft after just a short time... we do have hard water though.

http://https://www.facebook.com/TheHappyHippos
Cloth diapers, accessories, baby gowns, nursing cover ups, towels, blankets, capes and more!!!
the8dunlaps is offline   Reply With Quote