Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What Would YOU Do? (ie. Someone tell me what to do!)

I agree that if you plan to homeschool I would just keep him home. On the other hand, I think he would love school so you can send him and see what happens. If you have good public schools in your area it might be a good fit for him. If it isn't working out, you can always pull him.

I LOVED school and would have hated homeschooling. School can be a really great thing for some kids.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
anothergirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really like the Before Five in a Row curriculum. It is engaging, fun and interactive. Maybe try something like that for a year and then reevaulate. They change and mature so much from year to year!
anothergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the advice mamas! I'm going to take your advice and keep him home next year and not start anything formal. I think I will do Before Five in a Row and some formal preschool activities for something a little structured here and there, more to keep ME structured, or we end up watching TV and playing outside all day. And I'm going to look into sports or art classes or something for him to get out of the house, which I think he wants to do, as he keeps telling me he wants to go to school.
SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
all this!! just love on him and let him be a little kid! they miss out on so much of that in school these days. and research shows that little kids learn the most when they are playing. so tons of playing....tons of reading....tons of hugs and kisses.....just enjoy him
I agree with Lyn!

My 4 1/2 year old has learned so much just being around his older brothers during their "school" time. I did not "teach" him his numbers or letters but he can count to 20(and higher if he tries), knows his Abc's, shapes, etc. He also taught himself how to write his name so he could sign the pictures he colored. The only thing I am teaching him is how to read.
Due with monkey #6 in August
Etsy Shop
DS WAHM Page
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBooger View Post
Thank you so much for the advice mamas! I'm going to take your advice and keep him home next year and not start anything formal. I think I will do Before Five in a Row and some formal preschool activities for something a little structured here and there, more to keep ME structured, or we end up watching TV and playing outside all day. And I'm going to look into sports or art classes or something for him to get out of the house, which I think he wants to do, as he keeps telling me he wants to go to school.
This is pretty common since school plays such a huge roll in entertainment. Little kids see idealized depictions of school days on tv shows and in books and they want to be a part of it. Give them enough variety though and they will love being with you all day. My kids got over it by age 5 or 6 when they were old enough to realize what being away from home all day would be like.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

MFW k is super gentle. If you think he's ready and you want to, I'd go ahead. Be prepared to take a break if you or he needs one. It just takes a few minutes a day, it's fun, and there's not much busy work or worksheets so I think he'd do fine. My four year old dd tagged along while her brother was doing it and she did awesome. I wouldn't repeat the program when he's five though. If he's not ready for first the next year I'd just take a bit of a break and work casually in the areas he needs it until h was ready for first.

If you're not feeling ready to start, that's totally fine too. If you wait, I wouldn't send him to preschool. I'd just let him stay home and have fun. I also wouldn't use MFW preschool, it probably won't be anything he doesn't know and there's not much to it.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
babysniffles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBooger View Post
And I'm going to look into sports or art classes or something for him to get out of the house, which I think he wants to do, as he keeps telling me he wants to go to school.
My daughter wanted to go to regular school too. She had a year of public school kindergarten before I decided to homeschool. I asked her why she wanted to go to public school for 1st grade. Mind you there were some tears on her part at the thought of not going back to public school, so I had serious concerns that maybe, for her, homeschooling wasn't a good idea. So I asked her why she wanted to go. Turns out the only reasons were 1. her friends were in public school, 2. she wanted to ride the bus to school, and 3. she wanted to take her lunch to school in a cool lunchbox. I explained that her friends might not be in her class not year, that she could still see them after school and on the weekends, and we would make even more new friends in the homeschool groups we would go to. That cleared up that concern, because she thought she wouldn't ever see her friends again if she homeschooled. The bus doesn't pick up for our neighbourhood, so I explained that she would have to walk to school, and she decided that didn't sound so fun. And as for the lunchbox, why do only public school kids get one? We got her a lunchbox, and she was happy as a clam.

I would ask your son why he wants to go to school. The reasons might be something you can do at home, or otherwise address.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
doodlebug0718
Registered Users

It's up to you to figure out what works best for your family, but I attended a private preschool for 1 year and thn my Mom homeschooled until I was in 8th grade. I hardly remember the preschool and don't remember transitioning. Though my parents say I was sad to not go back to see my friends at school
doodlebug0718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #19
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysniffles View Post
My daughter wanted to go to regular school too. She had a year of public school kindergarten before I decided to homeschool. I asked her why she wanted to go to public school for 1st grade. Mind you there were some tears on her part at the thought of not going back to public school, so I had serious concerns that maybe, for her, homeschooling wasn't a good idea. So I asked her why she wanted to go. Turns out the only reasons were 1. her friends were in public school, 2. she wanted to ride the bus to school, and 3. she wanted to take her lunch to school in a cool lunchbox. I explained that her friends might not be in her class not year, that she could still see them after school and on the weekends, and we would make even more new friends in the homeschool groups we would go to. That cleared up that concern, because she thought she wouldn't ever see her friends again if she homeschooled. The bus doesn't pick up for our neighbourhood, so I explained that she would have to walk to school, and she decided that didn't sound so fun. And as for the lunchbox, why do only public school kids get one? We got her a lunchbox, and she was happy as a clam.

I would ask your son why he wants to go to school. The reasons might be something you can do at home, or otherwise address.
to the bolded. I agree with this. His reasons for wanting to be in school might be very simple.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
babysniffles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi26 View Post
to the bolded. I agree with this. His reasons for wanting to be in school might be very simple.
What's really funny is that we have hardly ever used it, but it makes her so happy to know that she has a lunchbox!
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote