Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Non Vax and Well Baby visits

For those of you that dont vax- do you still go to the scheduled well baby visits?
i know the visits are mainly about doing vaccinations, then the weight and length.
But if you have no concerns, do you just skip the appts?
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non Vax and Well Baby visits

we still go. but one of my boys has been growing pretty slowly, so we want to check their weight. plus we like the dr, and usually have a few questions (that i forget to ask most of the time ). anyway,i think my dh would freak if i even suggested not going, he's already pretty uncomfortable with them having no vax.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

We haven't gone to any appts. I haven't actually brought up vax to DH yet, but he doesn't seem to be concerned that we haven't seen a dr yet. His family has asked a couple of times if she's been seen and then dh and I made fun of how they keep repeating the question, like she's going to die if we don't take her in. I know I should take her at some point, just so that there is a preliminary record and we won't have to fill out ALL her paperwork if we go if for an emergency, but I don't know when I should do that.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We arnt vaxing on schedule, and we arnt going to "well child" check-ups. In my opinion, taking a healthy child to the Doctor only ups the chances of them catching something (from germs in the office) and gives Pediatricians the opportunity to "find" something wrong with your child. Even something like height or weight being less or greater than the desired norm.
The Book "How to Raise a Healthy Child...In spite of your Doctor" is a good read.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
We arnt vaxing on schedule, and we arnt going to "well child" check-ups. In my opinion, taking a healthy child to the Doctor only ups the chances of them catching something (from germs in the office) and gives Pediatricians the opportunity to "find" something wrong with your child. Even something like height or weight being less or greater than the desired norm.
The Book "How to Raise a Healthy Child...In spite of your Doctor" is a good read.
Thank You!
im going to check out that book
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

We hadn't planned on going to the well baby visits, but since DS was failure to thrive, we've had to watch his growth closely. Now that he's pretty much caught up, I think we'll stop going and just take him to the health dept every now and then to be weighed.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

We still take our daughter for her well-baby visits. She has not been vaxed at all. We are very blessed to have a doctor who does not push the issue. Sometimes the well-baby visits seem kind of pointless, but our doctor is nice and I find it interesting to hear all her measurements. She had some weight gain issues when she was very young, but all is going well now. I think going to the checkups just helps you have a good relationship with your pediatrician, so that when something serious does go wrong, you feel more comfortable with them.

~Gretchen
Mom to Sydney 19 months
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
KiMayaMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't vax and I don't do well baby visits. The only thing the doctor does at them is pressure me to vax and if I even attempt to bring information to support why I'm not vaxing they don't want to see any of it- they write me off as a whacko and give me no respect so I don't go to the doctor anymore unless my baby is sick.
KiMayaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

Nope, we don't go. I weigh and measure my dd at home and also measure and weigh the boys. Eliana has never seen a doctor. I'll probably take her soon however, she has a large birth mark on her thigh and I want a doctor to look at it and make sure it's not something that will cause her problems later in life. I love our pediatricians, so I have no problem taking her there.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Personally I like to take them so they can see the doc while they are well. It gives them the chance to be in the office and see the doctor when nothing "bad" is happening to them.

Recently my daughter had to get stitches and was terrified of course. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been had she not been used to seeing a doctor, being in the office, etc.

I think the positive experience of a well visit is important.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote