Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #181
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
Budgets are a PITA. I havent been great at stocking with mine either. I ran $50 over in Jan and will probably run that much over in feb too. Back to budget in March!
I think mine is already nearly twice what yours is though! I have been going through and trying to identify "problems" and I have come up with a couple. One is that we eat almost all organic produce, nuts and dried fruit. The other is that we don't eat cheap cuts of meat all that often.

I was doing fine on $700/m, but now that I am pregnant, I am all over the place.

Advertisement

I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #182
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is anyone trying a vegetarian paleo diet? I did come across someone who is trying it and was wondering if there was anyone else? I'm not exactly a vegetarian, but not a huge fan of meat and the quality meats are pretty expensive for us (and I'm not against getting quality stuff at all; we get a lot of better quality stuff for other foods...but I'm not keen on eating more meat; I'd rather eat less) I'm not paleo either, but I see a lot of valid points in the paleo mindset. I'd be curious enough to do a whole30 pescetarian ( ? ) style - I do eat eggs, though less than I used to, and occasionally fish and chicken.

My husband was also curious if on paleo, meat/eggs should be eaten every day and in what amounts? He is a meat eater but was wondering what paleos thought of doing say a meatless Monday?

Also, something I've been curious about... I've enjoyed baking some paleo treats on occasion, but most of them call for raw honey as a sweetener. To me, cooking the honey defeats the purpose of buying raw honey (which is also kinda expensive), and if I'm going to use honey to cook, is it really that much more beneficial to use raw honey in baked goods? Curious to hear your thoughts on this!

Last edited by mel j; 02-22-2013 at 11:26 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #183
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I think mine is already nearly twice what yours is though! I have been going through and trying to identify "problems" and I have come up with a couple. One is that we eat almost all organic produce, nuts and dried fruit. The other is that we don't eat cheap cuts of meat all that often.

I was doing fine on $700/m, but now that I am pregnant, I am all over the place.
Im supposed to be at 325 a month. I just raised it to 400. I only do the dirty dozen organic, and always cheap meats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Is anyone trying a vegetarian paleo diet? I did come across someone who is trying it and was wondering if there was anyone else? I'm not exactly a vegetarian, but not a huge fan of meat and the quality meats are pretty expensive for us (and I'm not against getting quality stuff at all; we get a lot of better quality stuff for other foods...but I'm not keen on eating more meat; I'd rather eat less) I'm not paleo either, but I see a lot of valid points in the paleo mindset. I'd be curious enough to do a whole30 pescetarian ( ? ) style - I do eat eggs, though less than I used to, and occasionally fish and chicken.

My husband was also curious if on paleo, meat/eggs should be eaten every day and in what amounts? He is a meat eater but was wondering what paleos thought of doing say a meatless Monday?

Also, something I've been curious about... I've enjoyed baking some paleo treats on occasion, but most of them call for raw honey as a sweetener. To me, cooking the honey defeats the purpose of buying raw honey (which is also kinda expensive), and if I'm going to use honey to cook, is it really that much more beneficial to use raw honey in baked goods? Curious to hear your thoughts on this!
Meatless meals are fine. Most people on the paleo diet eat a lot of meat, eggs and seafood. Imo, around 40% protein, 40% veg, 10% nuts and 10% fruits.

I dont cook raw honey. Waste of $ imo. I do buy raw honey to eat raw though.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #184
Sakari
Registered Users

I'm baaaack! Lol. Got busy, and pretty much fell off the bandwagon. But I want to eat better and I really think paleo/primal is better than what Im currently doing. I'm def on board with meatless meals/days. And I think any meat and produce bought at a store or co op is better than a resturant! Or frozen, packaged foods, etc.

As for the question about a sweet treat after dinner...my current favorite is paleo molten chocolate mini cakes! They're sooo yummy! And only take 8 min to bake! I think the recipe i use is from perfectly paleo? I can find the link when Im not on my phone!!

As for breakfast ideas, we often do eggs. scrambled is pretty quick, but if we are really late I give them fruit as we rush out the door. Lol. or if ive planned ahead we have paleo muffins sometimes! On lazy days we have banana/egg pancakes with homemade berry 'syrup'. Yummm!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #185
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
I made pumpkin pancakes today for lunch and they were amazing! I usually try to avoid replacement dishes because i never like the paleo version of a traditional wheat filled dish. Im surprised we all liked these!

1 can pure pumpkin
8 medium eggs, or 6 large
Dash vanilla
Dash cinnamon
Pinch salt
1/4tsp baking powder
1/2c almond flour
Coconut oil or butter for the pan

Mix, cook and enjoy!
Im going ti try making these. Im thinking they will make a Good snack.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #186
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi there. I am switching to a near paleo diet due to yeast issue. However, I cannot really have any sweeteners, even honey for awhile. Has anyone here had a hard time kicking the sugar beast?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #187
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was hard at first and I eventually went back lol.

Look up the Whole 30 at Whole9.com. A ton of Paleo websites (Nom Nom Paleo, Paleo Parenting, etc) have recipes for the whole30.

I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #188
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsmom
Hi there. I am switching to a near paleo diet due to yeast issue. However, I cannot really have any sweeteners, even honey for awhile. Has anyone here had a hard time kicking the sugar beast?
I thought the sugar thing was going to be hard, but it's actually easier for me than the carbs thing. Too much sugar breaks me out horribly, like pimples that turn into sores, so it helps motivate me never to eat sugar
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #189
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
I'm baaaack! Lol. Got busy, and pretty much fell off the bandwagon. But I want to eat better and I really think paleo/primal is better than what Im currently doing. I'm def on board with meatless meals/days. And I think any meat and produce bought at a store or co op is better than a resturant! Or frozen, packaged foods, etc.

As for the question about a sweet treat after dinner...my current favorite is paleo molten chocolate mini cakes! They're sooo yummy! And only take 8 min to bake! I think the recipe i use is from perfectly paleo? I can find the link when Im not on my phone!!

As for breakfast ideas, we often do eggs. scrambled is pretty quick, but if we are really late I give them fruit as we rush out the door. Lol. or if ive planned ahead we have paleo muffins sometimes! On lazy days we have banana/egg pancakes with homemade berry 'syrup'. Yummm!
How do you flip your banana pancakes? I have tried making them a couple times hut can never flip them in the pan without destroying them. I have taken to baking them instead.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #190
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post
I thought the sugar thing was going to be hard, but it's actually easier for me than the carbs thing. Too much sugar breaks me out horribly, like pimples that turn into sores, so it helps motivate me never to eat sugar
I was great for 3 weeks. Ten we had a bunch of junk at work, I ate a muffin, 4 cookies, and Jersey Mikes for lunch. Now I am right back where I started and miserable. I also have not eaten beef or pork in 13 years. I am thinking of eating a little beef. I don't know how that is going to go though. I went from being vegetarian for 10 years to having to eat meat again. Has anyone experienced this? On the yeast elimination diet I feel like I am starving on just chicken and veggies most of the time. It feels so monotonous.