Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #61
AmberP's Avatar
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,604
My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post

Why not just not eat the meat? Go veggie for a week or two and see if the aversions pass? There's a lot of "levels between paleo and fast food

A friend I met this summer was GAPS before they moved here for 5 weeks, in that time since they didn't know where to get the healthier foods like raw milk
and grassfed beef, etc, so they ate fast food and frozen pizza!! I just have to because she likes to blame the inconvenience on the food choices, but from an outside view I look at the situation and go, "You could have still eaten food from a grocery store!" Yes, it might not have all been organic, but it could have still been "real".

I'm not trying to judge you, we are all free to make whatever choices we want! I'm just trying to encourage you that IF you WANT to eat healthy, there are still options.
Just curious... what would you suggest I do for protein? I've never done the veggie thing before LOL. Eggs are okay, as long as I don't have to smell them cooking and my DH can't cook an egg to save his life, bless his heart. Beans and most veggies make me gag too =( Soy based products seem to have the same effect on me that dairy does-- sick for a couple hours after I eat them and digestion issues for several days.

I'm having a really hard time this pregnancy. I can do pickles, tomatoes (most of the time), potatoes, green beans (on occasion if I work myself up to it) and sometimes salad if I can find a dairy free dressing that I like. Sandwiches and cold cuts seem to appeal to me, but I've been warned off of cold cuts even though the chance of getting listeria is less likely than a fatal car accident. I know McDonalds totally isn't optimal, but their plain hamburgers are all I seem to consistently want to eat. Isn't that awful?

I just weighed myself and I have lost 3 1/2 lb since Tuesday when I had my appointment. =/

ETA: I just thought about nuts for protein. Does anyone know a source where they were not cross-contaminated? I am scared to eat nuts after I got a walnut in my non-walnut trailmix from TJ's.

Advertisement

__________________
Unschooling, mama to Ryleigh 01/06, Sean 01/10 and Kellen 8/13


I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!

Last edited by AmberP; 01-18-2013 at 02:56 PM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #62
eahcapemay's Avatar
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,242
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
Just curious... what would you suggest I do for protein? I've never done the veggie thing before LOL. Eggs are okay, as long as I don't have to smell them cooking and my DH can't cook an egg to save his life, bless his heart. Beans and most veggies make me gag too =( Soy based products seem to have the same effect on me that dairy does-- sick for a couple hours after I eat them and digestion issues for several days.

I'm having a really hard time this pregnancy. I can do pickles, tomatoes (most of the time), potatoes, green beans (on occasion if I work myself up to it) and sometimes salad if I can find a dairy free dressing that I like. Sandwiches and cold cuts seem to appeal to me, but I've been warned off of cold cuts even though the chance of getting listeria is less likely than a fatal car accident. I know McDonalds totally isn't optimal, but their plain hamburgers are all I seem to consistently want to eat. Isn't that awful?

I just weighed myself and I have lost 3 1/2 lb since Tuesday when I had my appointment. =/

ETA: I just thought about nuts for protein. Does anyone know a source where they were not cross-contaminated? I am scared to eat nuts after I got a walnut in my non-walnut trailmix from TJ's.
Cheese, nuts, nut butter, beans(there are so many diffrent kinds) are all good choices. Can you tolerate fish? What about jerky? That way you don't have to smell it cooking. What if you heat up the cold cuts? That kills the listeria I believe.
__________________
My phone is smart, I am not. All spelling errors are my own.

Last edited by eahcapemay; 01-18-2013 at 05:43 PM.
eahcapemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #63
AmberP's Avatar
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,604
My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay View Post
Cheese, nuts, nut butter, beans(there are so many diffrent kinds) are all good choices. Can you tolerate fish? What about jerky? That way you don't have to smell it cooking. What if you heat up the cold cuts? That kills the listeria I believe.
Fish is a no, unless I never have to smell it LOL

I am allergic to dairy-- which I eat normally anyway, but right now my body is reacting so violently to it that I am actually throwing up or laying in bed all night in pain. I might be able to handle refried beans, but so far every time I've tried to eat beans (chili, bean soup, in a burrito bowl), it hasn't worked. Jerky is okay, but I don't think that I can get enough protein out of it on our budget.

Do you know a source for nuts that are not cross-contaminated? I am nearly anaphylactic to walnuts, so I have been scared to eat nuts ever since I got a walnut in a bag of cashews and almonds and almost wound up at the ER.

When I read my posts, I feel like I am being so difficult and whiny. I've just spent half an hour sitting in the kitchen crying (thank you hormones) because I feel so messed up about this. Sorry ladies. I feel like maybe I should just bow out of here for a while. I'm not good company atm, especially in a paleo community.
__________________
Unschooling, mama to Ryleigh 01/06, Sean 01/10 and Kellen 8/13


I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #64
Sakari's Avatar
Sakari
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,138
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
When I read my posts, I feel like I am being so difficult and whiny. I've just spent half an hour sitting in the kitchen crying (thank you hormones) because I feel so messed up about this. Sorry ladies. I feel like maybe I should just bow out of here for a while. I'm not good company atm, especially in a paleo community.


You're not whiny! You're confused and So frustrated! That makes total sense. Even if you weren't pregnant with a million crazy hormones! Don't bow out, at least I don't think you should! Sure it's a paleo chat, but that doesn't mean we kick those who are down! I mean, if you have no long term interest in eating like a dinosaur, then do whatcha gotta do - but if you are saying you should leave because Right Now you don't want to eat that way - bah! Stay!

Ok, that said.... let's find somethings for you to eat!! Can you smell the eggs (in a bad way) if you hard or soft boil them? I'm thinking they don't smell as strong that way?

Protein when avoiding meats - if you could stalk up on the green veggies I really wouldn't worry about it, at least for now. I mean if you were going to avoid meat forever it would probably be more important to find a high protein replacement, but for a month or two? IDK. Spinach, Kale and Broccoli are super high in protein.

But if those aren't do-able....hmmmm.

What about a protein shake? Do you like smoothies? If the smells of cooking bother you, what about focusing on raw foods for awhile?

Have you ever had kale chips? They're AWESOME. cut up raw kale, pour some kind of great oil (coconut, olive, whatever) over it and then salt it liberally. put it in the oven on about 200-250 degrees for awhile. Until it's dehydrated and crisp. SOOO yummy! and I don't *think* they have a scent. They taste similar to buttery popcorn.

for smoothies you can use coconut, almond, hemp, etc, milk, fresh and frozen berries, bananas, even some spinach will hide well in there! Avacado's work great in smoothies too.

If all these sound gross, I'll keep thinking! (and go ahead and live on mcd's for awhile if you have to. It's better to be eating bad foods and be sane, than beating yourself up over eating bad foods while eating them, because then you're hurting yourself double-bad! at least that's my theory )
__________________
DSS - 10yrs DSD - 6yrs DD - 4yrs
married to my best friend since 2007

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #65
Sakari's Avatar
Sakari
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,138
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

OH! What about paleo breads and baked goods?? they wouldn't have as much nutritional benefit, but they're sure to be much healthier than bread bought at the store or fast food!

oh, and if you can do potatoes, what about sweet potatoes? Squash? (you could do sweet potato or butternut squash fries! yum! and sort fast food-esk. ) Beets? Zucchini? watermelon? Strawberries? how are fruits for ya? Lemon and water to combat nausea? ginger capsules?
__________________
DSS - 10yrs DSD - 6yrs DD - 4yrs
married to my best friend since 2007

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #66
AmberP's Avatar
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,604
My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
OH! What about paleo breads and baked goods?? they wouldn't have as much nutritional benefit, but they're sure to be much healthier than bread bought at the store or fast food!

oh, and if you can do potatoes, what about sweet potatoes? Squash? (you could do sweet potato or butternut squash fries! yum! and sort fast food-esk. ) Beets? Zucchini? watermelon? Strawberries? how are fruits for ya? Lemon and water to combat nausea? ginger capsules?
You are sweet =)

I have tried a few paleo baked goods, and I really don't like the substitute flours. On top of all my crazy allergies, I have residual sensory processing disorder from when I was a kid and certain textures really bother me. I couldn't eat mashed potatoes for almost twenty years LOL Gritty flours are another one of those textures. I've done a couple flourless baked goods, but mostly we just ate fruit, veggies and meat around here.

I can handle fruit and I have been eating bananas, clementines and grapes. Protein shakes or smoothies, I can't do because the protein is usually whey (milk) or soy. The only soy I can really handle in any quantity is soy sauce. But I have been doing coconut/pineapple/orange smoothies. I do eat some meat when I can convince myself, it just isn't much, so I really feel hungry a lot.

I broke down and bought the stuff for turkey sandwiches tonight-- I might do rolls w/o the bread instead. I may get flamed, but I figure that if I have a better chance of getting struck by lightening or getting in a fatal car accident than getting listeria, I am going to eat a couple sandwiches. I also bought some non-gmo corn chips to eat with my salsa.

I am sure I will survive this as long as I stay hydrated. I've got plenty of extra fat stores ... I am just so damn frustrated with myself. DH unpacked the groceries and he goes, "Wow. I feel like I am in a time-warp." lol. ugh.
__________________
Unschooling, mama to Ryleigh 01/06, Sean 01/10 and Kellen 8/13


I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #67
Sakari's Avatar
Sakari
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,138
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
You are sweet =)

I have tried a few paleo baked goods, and I really don't like the substitute flours. On top of all my crazy allergies, I have residual sensory processing disorder from when I was a kid and certain textures really bother me. I couldn't eat mashed potatoes for almost twenty years LOL Gritty flours are another one of those textures. I've done a couple flourless baked goods, but mostly we just ate fruit, veggies and meat around here.

I can handle fruit and I have been eating bananas, clementines and grapes. Protein shakes or smoothies, I can't do because the protein is usually whey (milk) or soy. The only soy I can really handle in any quantity is soy sauce. But I have been doing coconut/pineapple/orange smoothies. I do eat some meat when I can convince myself, it just isn't much, so I really feel hungry a lot.

I broke down and bought the stuff for turkey sandwiches tonight-- I might do rolls w/o the bread instead. I may get flamed, but I figure that if I have a better chance of getting struck by lightening or getting in a fatal car accident than getting listeria, I am going to eat a couple sandwiches. I also bought some non-gmo corn chips to eat with my salsa.

I am sure I will survive this as long as I stay hydrated. I've got plenty of extra fat stores ... I am just so damn frustrated with myself. DH unpacked the groceries and he goes, "Wow. I feel like I am in a time-warp." lol. ugh.
turkey sandwiches sound better than mcd's burgers Way to go!! at your DH.

oh, and coconut/pineapple/orange smoothies sound yummy! I'll have to try that. I have a couple oranges sitting around here that no one wants since we've had all these "cutie" oranges that are so small and easy to peel.

Not that you want them, and it's not all paleo... but if you want non-gritty gluten free flours, I've really liked "Mama's" brand almond flour blend. as well as fava and garbanzo flour - that one is SO fluffy and light!

Have you tried surfing pinterest for pictures of food that might look appealing? Feeling hungry all the time isn't fun! But I agree on the water. Drink up!!


In other news, has anyone tried banana ice cream? You literally take frozen bananas and whip them! They turn into this amazingly smooth "soft serve" type "ice cream" texture! SOOOOO tasty and sweet! DD and I made it last night in our vitamix. We added vanilla to one, and cocoa powder to the other half batch - We were in HEAVEN.
__________________
DSS - 10yrs DSD - 6yrs DD - 4yrs
married to my best friend since 2007

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #68
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,365
My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

I am jumping on this train! I was doing great prior to pregnancy and when I got sick, I needed tons of bread and salt (nothing like I typically eat) plus I had to eat every 30 minutes or I would get sick.
I am planning to lose 12 lbs in one month. if I just pull out bread i should come off fast. I'm 132 lbs now and this is the heaviest I have been since high school. (20 yrs ago) I want to be at 118 and no more. for the past 16 yrs i stayed at 106-112. I feel best at 118 tho. right now I have NO ENERGY, and forcing myself to work out and then after feel like fainting. my sugars are all over the place due to me eating breads. gah.

Im super bloated too so I may do a colon cleanse starting today and we will have a juicer here next week. super excited to get back on track.

Last edited by homebirthmom; 01-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #69
Sakari's Avatar
Sakari
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,138
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
I am jumping on this train! I was doing great prior to pregnancy and when I got sick, I needed tons of bread and salt (nothing like I typically eat) plus I had to eat every 30 minutes or I would get sick.
I am planning to lose 12 lbs in one month. if I just pull out bread i should come off fast. I'm 132 lbs now and this is the heaviest I have been since high school. (20 yrs ago) I want to be at 118 and no more. for the past 16 yrs i stayed at 106-112. I feel best at 118 tho. right now I have NO ENERGY, and forcing myself to work out and then after feel like fainting. my sugars are all over the place due to me eating breads. gah.

Im super bloated too so I may do a colon cleanse starting today and we will have a juicer here next week. super excited to get back on track.
Awesome! Way to be dedicated! 12lbs in a MONTH? I've lost 14 in 3.5 months and am pretty excited. Is cutting out bread all you're going to do? What else?! lol

I have quite a bit more to lose, it would be nice to do it faster! Share your wisdom!!

What kind of colon cleanse are you going to do?
__________________
DSS - 10yrs DSD - 6yrs DD - 4yrs
married to my best friend since 2007

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!

Last edited by Sakari; 01-19-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #70
AmberP's Avatar
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,604
My Mood:
Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
I am jumping on this train! I was doing great prior to pregnancy and when I got sick, I needed tons of bread and salt (nothing like I typically eat) plus I had to eat every 30 minutes or I would get sick.
I am planning to lose 12 lbs in one month. if I just pull out bread i should come off fast. I'm 132 lbs now and this is the heaviest I have been since high school. (20 yrs ago) I want to be at 118 and no more. for the past 16 yrs i stayed at 106-112. I feel best at 118 tho. right now I have NO ENERGY, and forcing myself to work out and then after feel like fainting. my sugars are all over the place due to me eating breads. gah.

Im super bloated too so I may do a colon cleanse starting today and we will have a juicer here next week. super excited to get back on track.
Hi mama =)
__________________
Unschooling, mama to Ryleigh 01/06, Sean 01/10 and Kellen 8/13


I sell LuLaRoe, check it out!
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.