View Poll Results: Would you give your 20 month old Benadryl to sleep on a plane ride?
Yes, for the comfort and safety of everyone, including my toddler. 27 16.07%
No. Here's how I would keep my child happy on the plane ride 105 62.50%
I would speak to my pediatrician first and then make a decision. 23 13.69%
The infamous 'other' option 13 7.74%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #41
Jaimelynne04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Benadryl for a plane ride?

Absolutely, positively not. Plane ride or not I don't think a child should ever be medicated for convenience.

It might take a little extra work to keep a LO happy on an airplane but you still have more freedom than if you were in a car.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #42
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD was on benadryl every 6 hours for an allergic reaction for 10 days at 11 months old. It did NOT calm her down at all. It did nothing for her mood or hyperness (and she is a little tornado).

I would buy lots of new toys an keep them hidden til you are on the plane.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #43
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, back in December we did a 6 hour flight from Tennessee to California to live....my husband, myself (pregnant at the time) and our 18 month old daughter.

I had the BIGGEST fears of how we'd manage. My daughter is pretty high maintenance, and doesn't like being restricted from doing whatever it is she has her mind set on.

But....

We bought one of those portable DVD players and two movies (Curious George and some Sesame Street thing). We also bought coloring books and crayons, and a woodn threading beads set (its a toy, not actual jewelry).

SHE DID AWESOME! We just kept switching her activities, and despite one or two very short fussy moments, she was an angel. She even slept for about an hour and a half.

I don't think I'd drug up my child just to make the flight easier. Especially since its only 2 hours. If you bought one of those DVD players, or brought some brand new (never before read to him) stories, I'm sure it would go great
Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #44
schmitz2308
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would see how he does first. If he doesn't do well on the way there, you can give him something on the return flight.
HTH!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #45
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No way! I would never give medicine to a child other than what it is intended to do! I think older people need to keep their comments to themselves too. My mom tried to tell me to give my oldest son that to calm him down so he wouldn't be disruptive at a restuarant. I was furious that she would think that was OK to do and just can't accept the fact that he has Aspergers! I don't think our parents give the right advice for these days we live in! Kids are going to be kids and whine or cry or tantrum that doesn't mean they should have to get medicated unnecassarily to make them "look" better in other peoples eyes!
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #46
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrnaymom View Post
There are some options you can get at the health food store that do not have the same side effects and are much gentler. They usually are chamomile or passion flower (or both) based. The one we have used on rare occassion is actually called "calm child". There are some stronger ones that have valerian in them (for children) but I have not tried them. They are liquid you can add to juice or water or squirt directly in mouth.

Another option would be flower essence- rescue remedy works great in many high stress situations (for mamas too)
Great suggestions...and you could try it out beforehand on the ground just to test his reaction to them as well.

I would also take a laptop or a smal dvd player and some movies for him to watch.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #47
yoopermama
Registered Users
Formerly: J*** G***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatutugirls View Post
absolutely to all of that!

Pack a bag of snacks and new books/toys and don't take them out or let him play with them until you are on the airplane. He will probably be so intrigued with all of the new things, it won't even be a problem.

also, it may not be fun for you but that is just not really that important. This may have been said did not real all replysw, but Benadryl is a steroid, it makes your hear beat very fast among other things. Not stuff to really mess with
yoopermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #48
isabel249
Registered Users
seller

NO... plane rides are really not that bad anyway. When my daughter was almost 4 months I flew alone with her and we took 4 different flights... I would never give her medication she doesn't need...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #49
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Benadryl for a plane ride?

Not in this situation. If it were for longer, 4+ hours, than I might. But if the flight goes in a timely manner, then you guys should be on the plane for less than three hours.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #50
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with it. But for only 2 hours, I think there is probably enough to keep him occupied. A longer plane ride could be an issue, but 2 hours while maybe hard doesn't seem hugely difficult. Do what you feel is best for your child. That's it.

Last edited by JustAugust; 06-27-2008 at 12:33 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote