Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pregnancy and working out ???

I am 4 weeks pregnant!

One of the important things I want to keep doing is working out. Right now am 5'1 and as of today weigh 135 pounds.

Here's my history: working out has never been routine for me.

Before May 1st it was sparatic: arobic 1-3 days a week, yoga once a week
May 1- June15th: I slow jogged 3-5 miles a day, 6 days a week
June 15th-today: I did arobic about 1-3 days a week

I want to keep working out....I would love to do a really slow 3 mile jog 6 days a week. I felt really good when I was doing that and I had a lot more energy. I would love to add in 2 days a week of strength training with light weights (3-5 pounds).

Do you think that would be ok?? If not, what kind of routine would you recommend??

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnancy and working out ???

I think the usual disclaimer is to always clear it with your doctor first and I'd say it depends on if you are generally a healthy adult who will likely have no issues with sustaining a pregnancy. All that said, I would look at that and say yes, its fine. Exercise with pregnancy is highly recommended for several reasons and if it is a routine you already had then there is usually no reason for you to stop doing it. I think the biggest concerns are over heating and too high of a heart rate. Keep and eye on those things and I'm sure you will be fine. I work out 5 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training. Be smart and responsible about it (esp. if you will be running out in the summer heat!) and it will likely do you and baby a lot of good
Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolittlebeans View Post
I think the usual disclaimer is to always clear it with your doctor first and I'd say it depends on if you are generally a healthy adult who will likely have no issues with sustaining a pregnancy. All that said, I would look at that and say yes, its fine. Exercise with pregnancy is highly recommended for several reasons and if it is a routine you already had then there is usually no reason for you to stop doing it. I think the biggest concerns are over heating and too high of a heart rate. Keep and eye on those things and I'm sure you will be fine. I work out 5 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training. Be smart and responsible about it (esp. if you will be running out in the summer heat!) and it will likely do you and baby a lot of good

This is exactly what I was going to say.
My midwife encourages working out and I have continued to do so (I had a little trouble for a couple of weeks while morning sickness was especially bad). Unless you have some pre-existing health condition or a problem with the pregnancy you should be fine. It'll help keep your weight gain in check and likely help childbirth and recovery go more smoothly.

GL.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That puts my mind at ease (migrane and all). I have my first appointment with my midwife on Monday, so I will double check with her. With Minnesota humid summers, it sounds like I will either be working out in the morning or evening. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! My OB (high risk and all) said that I can work out as much and as long into my pregnancy as I want. Just to listen to my body and rest when needed. With DS I was thrown on bedrest at 13 weeks, so I am hoping to avoid that this time around!!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I ran about 10 miles/week up through my 6th month. After that I turned to walking because the stress of my growing belly on my abdominal muscles was causing too much uncomfortable cramping. Just check with your doctor, and keep moving! You might have to adjust as the baby grows, and if it feels good, do it, if it feels bad, don't do it.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Erin and Alicia~ I am so happy to hear that you both were able to work out throughout your pregnancy. I cannot imagine not working out, right now it's one of the things that seems to be helping with nausea and being tired. I was pretty concerned when I was running last week that I didn't have my 5-6 days a week as a routine down and that I couldn't workout during my pregnancy for 5-6 days now.

Here's the schedule I made yesturday:
Sun- slow 3.5 mile jog
Mon- 40 min strength training, 20 min yoga
Tues- slow 3.5 mile jog
Wed- 40 min strength training, 20 min yoga
Thur- off
Fri- slow 3.5 mile jog
Sat- 40 min strength training, 20 min yoga

So it would be 10.5 miles a week, 3 days strength training, 3 days yoga

Last edited by lavender dragonfly; 07-26-2009 at 05:46 AM.
lavender dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I run while pregnant, but I have always ran at least 5 days a week. Towards the end I start to briskly walk.
The recommended exercise:
Swimming
Walking
Low impact aerobics
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
sistermama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensmomma View Post
The recommended exercise:
Swimming
Walking
Low impact aerobics
I agree with Jena- these are the recommendations for someone who doesn't already have an exercise routine in place pre-pregnancy, or who finds their current routine too strenuous. You'll know.

The general wisdom, as I understand it, is to not take on a new routine that falls into the high impact category, such as running. If you are already a runner (and it sounds like you are) than it is generally fine to continue with it. Just don't go joining Crossfit in your 5th month! Things that put you at a risk for injury include your changing center of gravity and spacial awareness, as well as your loosening ligaments. This makes it especially important to warm up, warm down, and stretch. Just listen to your body, and go slowly.
Happy running!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
sistermama
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!