Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

Re: In the world not of the world Chat Thread

Minus the homeschooling, me! I've been struggling a lot with this recently. We went backwards quite a bit when I moved an hour and a half away from my family, home church etc. I'm an introvert and have a really hard time making a new place for myself. We kinda gave up. But I'm really missing it. Some encouragement from like-minded friends would be great

Advertisement

AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Do you have a church that you attend or are you looking for one? Or is it more about having time to be :

We have a church, time or distance is no longer an excuse. We HAVE to make time. It had never occurred to me that I was one that followed the motions, and had never took the time to understand the whys. I am trying to learn, so I could choose which way I think is best to guide my children.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
We have a church, time or distance is no longer an excuse. We HAVE to make time. It had never occurred to me that I was one that followed the motions, and had never took the time to understand the whys. I am trying to learn, so I could choose which way I think is best to guide my children.
We all fall into that from time to time.
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Those who dress only in dresses why do you do that? Is it decided upon by your church or did you just decided on it for yourself?
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
For us it was gradual. I wasn't ready to go back initially and the more I learned the more I kept coming back to my faith. But having children was definitely the kick in the rear for me.

We have young families come and they sometimes get discouraged because their kids act up. What they don't realize is that all the kids have taken turns acting up. But if you keep going it gets better...until you have the next one. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Those who dress only in dresses why do you do that? Is it decided upon by your church or did you just decided on it for yourself?
There are no requirements for dress. I've been to some parishes that do have a posted dress code but in reality this varies greatly from parish to parish. Modesty should be held in high regard and I have seen more than one church bulletin (diferent parishes) asking for cooperation on this issue.

I attend a Latin Rite and skirts or dresses are the norm but they cannot refuse you due to attire. My parish is mixed but people do tend to dress up more. No shorts, t shirts.etc. for men.

The skirt wearing was a personal decision.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
There are no requirements for dress. I've been to some parishes that do have a posted dress code but in reality this varies greatly from parish to parish. Modesty should be held in high regard and I have seen more than one church bulletin (diferent parishes) asking for cooperation on this issue.

I attend a Latin Rite and skirts or dresses are the norm but they cannot refuse you due to attire. My parish is mixed but people do tend to dress up more. No shorts, t shirts.etc. for men.

The skirt wearing was a personal decision.

If you don't mind me asking what religion are you? I have been doing a lot of research on different religions and what my fit my family.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #17
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
If you don't mind me asking what religion are you? I have been doing a lot of research on different religions and what my fit my family.
Sure. I'm Catholic.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OOoooh- this is me . We are Catholic, too. We homeschool, but I do not have rigid schedules. We have 'things that go together'- lessons go with breakfast, chores go with dinner, prayer time goes with getting ready for bed. But not at very set times. I snatch prayer time in the morning b4 kids get up, or while kids play in the backyard, formerly while I nursed, tho I am without a nursling for the moment- snif!- and also when I drive. I don't do only skirts, but definitely strive for modesty as I define it. We limit media, for sure.

On Halloween- I was all for forbidding participation and only doing All Saints, but dh is Mexican- Day of the Dead you know!.... Actually coming to understand the Christian symbolism of Halloween things (in Mexico anyway) has REALLY allowed me to relax on it. We go to both an All Saints party and we also go trick-or-treating in a silly costume.

Anyhoo, I probably won't be able to do a lot of chatting- I *try* to limit media and screen time for myself as well as the kids. But I will enjoy popping on here now and again!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

So I'm sure this will make me sound like a horrible mama but I'm gonna ask anyways. Before gettin married dh and I discussed all out preferences and we agreed that we wished to homeschool for two reasons. I want to know what my children are learning and I'd love to teach them in a gospel centered environment. And second both dh and I were sorta left behind in school. We were advanced to the point of boredom and with no adult really invested in our success we fell through the cracks. I want to homeschool and be there for my kids to help them learn and really grasp what they are leaning. Ya know?

Anywho the actual question is how do you moms do it? The thought of having no free time no "me time". No send the kids away while I regain my sanity time. It's terrifying to me.

I mean I have one child. Granted in pregnant which doesn't help my stress or patience level but I don't know how moms homeschool? I still want to because of reasons previously stated but at the same time Idk if they would get quality teaching if I'm going nuts. Ya know?
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
kabochan17
Registered Users
seller

Our little family is just starting out, but we do want to homeschool for about a zillion reasons (and yeah, how DO you do it with no "me" time?!? I understand it needs to be a calling - but still...). We are careful with media, and we dress with modesty as our goal, not that there is much to do for that with my 12mo DS!
We love our church but struggle to be involved. It hasn't always been a struggle, but it is right now. I don't intend that it continue like this forever.
I love Halloween, and have no problems with people who do not - but my version of Halloween is a family party, costumes, games, some candy, and my all-time favorite, pumpkins and the pumpkin patch. Not all that nastiness that creeps out of dark storage rooms every year to infest our brains with rubbish.
And I love dresses and skirts - but with just me and DS at home, and the fact that they really don't seem practical, I have given them up for the time being. I am klutzy enough that it's a sure thing I'd be tripping over the extra fabric running after DS to stop him getting into trouble, then struggling to extricate myself while trying not to destroy the thing. Not sure how people do that either. Although I guess they can because the greater part of planet earth is probably less clumsy than me.
kabochan17 is offline   Reply With Quote