Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
ashbo0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby needs to gain weight

Hi! So at my little guys last well-baby appointment (8 months) the doc said he's on the small side and needed to gain some weight. He suggested adding butter, sour cream and whole milk yogurt to his diet. I've done a little butter here and there and he loves vanilla yogurt for breakfast. I'm wondering if there is something else I can try as well?

Advertisement

ashbo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbo0
Hi! So at my little guys last well-baby appointment (8 months) the doc said he's on the small side and needed to gain some weight. He suggested adding butter, sour cream and whole milk yogurt to his diet. I've done a little butter here and there and he loves vanilla yogurt for breakfast. I'm wondering if there is something else I can try as well?
avocados.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
ashbo0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby needs to gain weight

Are there any creative ways to add them to other fruits and veggies? I've tried them on their own and he always gags and spits them out :-(
ashbo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
andunc02
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would up his milk (formula/breastmilk) considering his age. If he is getting any other liquids then I would go back to just milk for now for the extra calories.

That's about the only idea I have. Mine have been on the smaller side at that age due to genetics and mobility/not wanting to stop to eat. Good luck momma!
andunc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
lovinits
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried coconut oil? My baby loved this! I used this to help my son gain weight when he was just a few months old. It is great because it has a light flavor and more calories than butter. It melts into a liquid form and has a slightly sweet so can be mixed with a lot of different ingredients. Good luck! I know how hard this is!
lovinits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Featherhead
Registered Users

You could try nut butters as well, unless your family has a history of nut allergies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Featherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
lovinits
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbo0 View Post
You didn't mention if your child is breastfed or not, but if you are breastfeeding, do be aware that there is actually a different growth chart for breastfed babies that is different from formula fed babies. I only learned this with my little one by accident. If your child is breastfed, be sure to tell the doc and ask for a weight measurement against that chart. Good luck!!
lovinits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kiddos have always been on the small side. My first was in the 10th percentile for her weight for the longest time and her doctor wrote "poor growth" on her chart. I felt horrible as a new mother. Well guess what, this has just been her pattern - long and lean. The next two followed suit. I don't go by those growth charts... just how my kids are doing. I think you can tell if they're thriving. Just my opinion!

I agree with some of the other suggestions: avocado, coconut oil (or full fat coconut milk), nut butters.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
jessikate
Registered Users

Baby needs to gain weight

My baby was alarmingly under-weight and our pediatrician had me add MCT oil to bottles of breastmilk. Worked like a CHARM and she said is naturally occurring in breastmilk. PM me if you would like more info. I may have an unopened bottle I could send if u decide to try. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jessikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
katemay
Registered Users
seller

How small is this baby? My baby has been in the 5th percentile since she was born and my doctor hasn't seemed very concerned. Some babies are big and some are small. Of course, if yours is really far behind, then certainly, try to feed him more. It's odd that he said to add butter though, but perhaps that's something new that I haven't heard yet
katemay is offline   Reply With Quote